King’s Canyon Ride this past weekend...

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

tobes
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

King’s Canyon Ride this past weekend...

Post by tobes »

I’ve wanted to ride to King’s Canyon for a while now and finally got around to it this past weekend. I did an overnighter Saturday to Sunday making a day of riding to Three Rivers on Saturday with a tour of the park and then home, Los Angeles, on Sunday.

Saturday was a total of 344 miles. I was out at 8:00 and went via Bouquet, Woodford Tehachapi, Caliente Bodfish, to Hwy 155/Evans Rd. Hwy 155 was a real treat! Miles of great twisties and I was able to really run the new Pirelli Diablo Rosso’s I’d just put on. I really like these tires. 155 was so much fun I ran it a couple of times before heading on to Three Rivers. Not many photos from Saturday. Just one stop on Bealeville Rd for a coffee break. Here is the approximate route up but missing some side excursions:
http://tinyurl.com/ygw7uwq

Sunday was a total of 381 miles. I was up a 6:00am and into the park by 7:30. At that hour I only saw a couple of other cars on the road and had a great run up Hwy 198. On my way to the Sherman Tree, the world’s largest tree, I was surprised to see a black bear on the road. I slowed down to about 30mph and the bear just looked at me until I got about 40 feet from it. Then it spun around and darted off into the woods. Approaching the Sherman Tree parking lot I was surprised again to see a mom bear and two cubs crossing the road. This time I stopped and watched as they slowly crossed and headed into the woods. When I got to the Sherman Tree entrance I kept my gloves and gear on as it was freezing cold and started down the ½ mile path to the tree. Two other visitors had come up to the path behind me and we walked into the woods. At the Sherman Tree we stopped and admired its massive size. While talking to the other two visitors I noticed another bear walking up the hill behind them maybe 50 feet away. We were in awe of this sight. Then another bear appeared probably 100 feet away further up the hill. We just couldn’t believe it. It was a little intimidating. The bears proved to be docile and were just rummaging about for food. Luckily they didn’t think we were food. Once back out to the parking lot I headed out toward Hwy 180 and again was surprised to see yet another bear crossing the road. That would be the last bear sighting for the day. The temperature dropped to 26F at the lowest point and I rode through a light snowfall on the way to Cedar Grove. The scenery in the park was stunning with many great vistas and a nice waterfall at Roaring River. After touring the park I decided to make good time back home and took the freeways back to LA making it home just after dark. Here is the approximate route missing a few side excursions: http://tinyurl.com/yfjage5

For a slideshow of the images click here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14694355@N ... 9026/show/

Two Cubs

Me and brown bear

Brown bear

Sherman Tree

Bike display

Approaching storm clouds

Mike
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: King’s Canyon Ride this past weekend...

Post by Buckster »

What a nice scenic ride. Those are some amazing shots of the mountains! Thanks for sharing.
Buckster '03R