Membership

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Membership

Post by Doug »

Hi everyone! I just wanted to write a note about new memberships. Some have asked how to become a member, so I thought I'd post this to inform people.

For donation and member information: http://www.r1150r.net/contact.html and then click on the donation button.
Basically, its $25/yr or $60/lifer and you can send payment securely via Paypal (A Paypal account is not required).

Once you are a member you will be able to visit and post in the member-only sections (Buy/Sell, Member's only and Pat's sections).

Membership may sound expensive, but think of the money you've saved by browsing these pages and consider if a reference like this did not exist. We need a flow of money to pay for general board expenses/upkeep, Internet traffic (39 GIGs last month!), and ISP charges and server upgrades, so join today! [Insert soothing commercial music here! :) ]

Thanks for everyone's support over the years. This site wouldn't be here without you!
Member #1
bikermeow
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Membership

Post by bikermeow »

Just to 'fess up. ......

I dragged my feet about being a member. Somehow it seemed wrong to pay for advice online, from the online community. I was happy to freeload.

Meanwhile back home I have a trusty mechanic that is cheap, but really good. He's such an easygoing guy that he would let his customers owe him money for work done. I found myself telling his customers to pay up lest the mechanic goes into insolvency and we will lose this gem. Then it struck me that online forums are no different. If this site folds, then I would be deprived of a valuable source of help, banter and resources for my bike. My online adviser will no longer be around. That changed my mind-set.

I then became a member. It's not a big price to pay to keep a almost real-time resource alive. To me, this online hub allows us to help each other, notably at a time when BMW seems to be ignoring us.

This post is unsolicited; just thought I share my own take on donations.

Cheers
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

The cost of a cool German motorcycle: a bunch

The cost of a cool online support forum: 5 and 1/2 cents a day

The cost of NOT being a cheap*ss freeloader: priceless!

(Just do it already)

And THANK YOU, Doug for all you do.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
gbagen
Lifer

Post by gbagen »

I'm a Lifer. thanks for your efforts.

Greg
No one, on their deathbed, ever wished that they had spent more time at the office.
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

In just a few months I've moved from being a lurker to a poster & replier. I don't know anyone else with a BM so this forum is my very best source of information and advice as I have a go at doing the routine maintenance on my bike and preparing for the common problems. Thanks to all - especially Doug.
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
Petrus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 848

Post by Petrus »

I come here as a Beemer lover but newbee. Problem with that is - steep learning curve on a used Bike - lots o stuff to know. having a forum like this has saved me time and lots of worries and money thanks to everyone on the board. Second thoughts on spending a few bucks to be a member - yeah right.
Petrus
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Welcome to the gang!
Member #1
J Geisen
Lifer

Post by J Geisen »

:D This seems pretty reasonable to me. I'm new to BMW R1150R and like a few others I'm not connected to people I can reach out to for some help.

Doug, thanks for the time you spend keeping the site going as well as providing your responses to our questions.

John Geisen
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Welcome! :)
Member #1
sky_sailor
Basic User

Post by sky_sailor »

Just joined. It's a very worthwhile site to support. Keep up the good work.
Lyle
When in doubt, chicken out...
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

sky_sailor wrote:Just joined. It's a very worthwhile site to support. Keep up the good work.
Lyle
Thanks! Welcome to the gang.
Member #1
b12bandit
Basic User

Post by b12bandit »

Is it worth someone from UK joining the members section?
I'm never going to buy or sell anything from US to UK or vice versa.
So, what would my $25 get me?
Who is Pat and what mysteries are hidden in there?

CHEERS and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Pete
Shefford
Bedfordshire
UK
b12bandit
Basic User

Post by b12bandit »

Doug,

Did it anyway. There should be a donation winging it's way across the Atlantic as we speak.
me&mybmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 904

Post by me&mybmw »

I too was a lurker, being a newbee I was scouring the pages for more info. Then I found a single piece info that shot straight at me. Made me a safer driver. I paid 500 bucks for the saftey course to ride, and I gladly paid 60 for the info I recieved. Doug Thank You for your time.....and to the rest Thank You for your wisdom... all of you. (both sides of the pond)
No were not stopping at Timmy's
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Thank you too! Enjoy!
Member #1
dutchbikes
Basic User

Post by dutchbikes »

Doug - i am glad i did it! Best $$ i have spent. Thanks for all the free info for my Rockster!!

Dutch :p
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Not to worry; seems to be a spambot. I doubt that it's your computer. (Though an antivirus scan now and again isn't a bad idea...)

Hey, Doug! Maybe you could put the phrase "back to log list" into some sort of macro that deletes the user?
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

NoRRmad wrote:Not to worry; seems to be a spambot. I doubt that it's your computer. (Though an antivirus scan now and again isn't a bad idea...)

Hey, Doug! Maybe you could put the phrase "back to log list" into some sort of macro that deletes the user?
Keith, agreed. Also, as I mentioned to Herb the other day, you could implement *in addition to* the captcha, a phrase or question every human who owns an R11/1150/12 could answer. This would also help weed out the occasional bots/pricks that do this sort of thing.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Ya we had a little influx again this AM. I will try and update the board, it usually resolves these issues.. for a while.

I'm hesitant to add mods or change the register sequence - because then every time I mod the board, I have to worry about compatibility. I've run into troubles with that before.
Member #1
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Doug wrote:Ya we had a little influx again this AM. I will try and update the board, it usually resolves these issues.. for a while.

I'm hesitant to add mods or change the register sequence - because then every time I mod the board, I have to worry about compatibility. I've run into troubles with that before.
No worries, just a suggestion.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD