F800GS stalling

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

owldaddy
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

F800GS stalling

Post by owldaddy »

I was riding with a friend yesterday who owns a F800GS ( I have not yet seen the bike yet, as he was riding his Honda ST 1100). He has been experiencing a stalled engine when opening the throttle to quickly, any suggestions as to what maybe the problem? I'm thinking that the fuel isn't keeping up with the demand.
Don
Last edited by owldaddy on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: F800GS stalling

Post by Boxer »

It may be air starved. There is a common problem with water getting sucked in from the air box or the charcoal canister. I think the drain line from the canister has to be re routed to keep water out of it. Of course that may not be his problem at all.
jb44
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by jb44 »

owldaddy wrote:.... F800GS.. He has been experiencing a stalled engine when opening the throttle to quickly, any suggestions as to what maybe the problem?
.... clogged vent in gas tank, bad fuel pump (recall), update fuel map, (stalling in the rain is a different issue).

There have been reports of the F800's stalling since they came out. Some bikes are affected, some aren't.

Do a search on the F800Riders forum... you will find plenty to read about.

There's even a YouTube video.

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30307

Read below from a post from adv riders:

"Okay, now that I've made you as impatient reading this as we were waiting for a fix, I'll wrap things up. On Friday afternoon, I got a call from BMW that they felt that they had resolved the problem. The tech had rigged a fuel pressure gauge where it could be seen while riding. When the bike got hot, the pressure would fall below the acceptable range for a second and then peg the meter. They tried a new BMSK, new injectors, new fuel pump electronics and finally a fuel pump. Well, the pump did it. A pump you say? Was that replaced on your dime before you left 'cause BMW wouldn't do it for you? Looking closer at the invoice from BMW of SF, no, they hadn't replaced the fuel pump. It was backordered, neglected to tell me, and instead replaced the fuel pump electronics. Yes, I should have commented that the cost of the installation was less than I was expecting but I let myself believe that maybe they had split the cost with me. All this time, I (thanks to the ADV forums had been right about the pump being the problem and if they had told me they didn't install one, I would have arranged to have one put in on the trip. ARRGAGGARGGGHH."

18 more pages on ADVrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... s+stalling

jb
owldaddy
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by owldaddy »

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to copy and paste this thread and send it in an email to my friend. It seems this maybe a known problem, perhaps BMW will make it right by him. Thanks again, I knew this group would have some good advice.
Don
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.