Short honeymoon.

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Short honeymoon.

Post by sweatmark »

Rode our, er, Mrs. Sweatmark's F800S today about 150 miles. Really impressed by the bike's fit & finish, capabilities AND economy of the F800 motor, and overall rideability. Won't bore you with hyperbole right now.

Upon return home and quick post-ride inspection, discovered oil spatter on the LHS of motor (the light gray helps with troubleshooting), followed forward to front brake caliper, and then traced up to left fork tube. Blown seal. Either a warranty item or good excuse for custom suspension tuning.

Will post some pics ASAP for reference.

Disappointing after 1 week of ownership - really, just two days of limited riding, but that's what you get when you buy the dealer's loaner bike!

Rob, I will need to peek at the fork oil level on the RHS to get that measurement for you now!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Re: Short honeymoon.

Post by sweatmark »

Needed a quick message here to get to post number 667. Phew!
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

How has this progressed so far? I assume you're waiting for parts. [-( Be sure to check that the forktube chromed surface over the entire 5.5" suspension's stroke is flawless, so the dealer can replace that tube.

I just ordered 2 qts of 20W Silkolene fork oil today, the last item needed to install the RaceTech GoldValves. Not one local area shop has any 20W fork oil in stock. I already have the GoldValves and the math says they add 12mm to the rider ride height. Suspension measurements say the forks need an additional 10mm more preload, so that's 2mm too much length in the stock spacer. I should have this job completed in a week. Then it's time to decide which rear shock to get. :-k
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Re: Short honeymoon - fork seal

Post by sweatmark »

Then it's time to decide which rear shock to get.
What about using the OE shock until it's fried? Curious what rear shock options exist for the F800S/T... haven't searched within the F800 board yet.

Leaking fork seal was replaced under warranty, without issue. Our favorite BMW dealer had the replacement parts in stock, and noted that the repair has been necessary for a few F800 bikes. I think allotted time for the job was 2 or 3 hours, but I didn't really pay much attention while turning the dealer's customer lounge into my business office for a while.

I have nothing but good to say about the dealership and its Service personnel - top quality!

To wit: received a call today from the Service Manager regarding F800 stall tendency during stops. I had experienced two such stalls while riding the F800S down to the dealer for the fork seal work, and had recently read of similar behavior for some of the F800GS bikes. The call today was follow-up to my brief conversation with Service Manager several weeks ago, and I appreciate his thoroughness and professionalism.

Seems there is a notification to BMW Service folks about the stall issue and potential remedy if needed.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

sweatmark,

About the rear shock, It can wait till the spring of 2010.

How are things going . . . . or has the early snow parked the bikes? If not, who is riding the F800 the most?

You mentioned real satisfaction with your dealer but did not name them. I can see any reluctance in mentioning a bad dealer service, but the good ones should be rewarded. Can you give us their name or a link to their webpage?
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

hi CycleRob,

Afraid the F800S hasn't seen much action since purchase... we've been too busy with family and work. I was tempted to ride it at the one & only 2009 trackday my schedule permitted last month, but used the Buell XB instead. Nonetheless, we put a full slider kit from San Jose BMW on the bike in case it sees some trackday duty. And if my Buell is sold (or parted out), then I'll shop for a 2nd set of F800 wheels for trackday wheel/tire set using some fresh DOTs now in the garage.

We're now into the rainy season - a good 6-8 months of wet here in western Oregon, but usually no more than 1-2 weeks of snow. With an electric vest blazing, the weather's plenty good for weekend rides, as long as good friend GoreTex comes along.

Bought the middle-low F800 seat for Mrs. Sweatmark's use in case she gets the bug. I'll keep the OE high seat for my F800S joy rides.

For the rear shock, I have an old style Buell XB-spec Hyperpro that's essentially a nitrided Wilbers Type 641 with mad-Dutch purple spring and different anodizing... would like to have Ted Porter rebuild it sometime as replacement for the F800S OE unit (once it serves a useful life).

http://www.motorcycle-suspension.com/wi ... index.html
http://www.beemershop.com/

Finally, our favorite local BMW Motorrad dealership is BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon:
http://www.bmwor.com/
Owners Scott & Madelyn Russell are good people, and the staff have always been great to deal with, including best in class Service folks. Highly recommended.