Sydney R12R (and friends) rides

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Caroanbill
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Sydney R12R (and friends) rides

Post by Caroanbill »

Now that there seems to be a core of interested Sydney (Australia) R12R riders, I'm going to set out a possible ride here for us plus any interetsed hangers-on.

Other Sydney riders, feel free to add ...

I'm only looking for a FEW riders (general busy-ness etc should assure that happens naturally enough) ... organising a group over 6 or so is just a PITA without a structure or club (I organise an annual 4-day charity run so I KNOW) .. plus it's informal / own risk etc

SUGGESTED RUN - Looping the ranges
DATES: 12 & 13 September ALT DATES: 24-25 OCTOBER, 7-8 NOVEMBER
DISTANCE: ~930km over two days
ROUTE:
Sydney - Jamberoo Mtn - Bundanoon - Goulburn - Oberon - Bathurst - Sofala - Rylstone - Bylong - Jerrys Plains - Windsor
OVERNIGHT:
Pub, caravan park cabins or maybe camping. Open to suggestions from Oberon to Bylong (Rylstone pub - Globe - has OK food but accomodation is limited there so standard is low-ish and price is high-ish) Camping available at Rylstone, Bylong has some accomodation but it's all on 5-8kms of dirt roads. Also a pub in Sofala (Royal Hotel). Will research more when / if I get some takers.
TIMING
Depends on where we overnight - slight preference for early start to late lunch in Oberon, which would see Rylstone a feasible destination for a long Sat / short Sun run (home by lunchtime Sunday)
Last edited by Caroanbill on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
mvk
Lifer

Re: Sydney R12R (and friends) rides

Post by mvk »

Hi Bill, Good on you - hope you get some responses. I will be away Royal Enfielding in India so count me out. Just take plenty of photos. Catch up with you eventually, cheers, Michael

PS You don't believe in short rides do you...
Radar in oz
Lifer

Post by Radar in oz »

I'm afraid I can't make it that weekend, but in case anyone who is going wasn't aware and hence could get caught out by expecting to refuel there, the Halfway Roadhouse on the Putty Rd. burnt down a couple of weeks ago.
Cheers
Peter
MrChicken
Lifer

Post by MrChicken »

Hey Bill,

Thanks for getting something together, and unfortunately I am a no-show as well. I'll be away the next weekend with BMWTC, and two weekends running will be very unpopular with the boss. Maybe next time.

Cheers
Geoff
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Don't think my run is a go-er (I'd do it with only 1 or 2 others, but that seems unlikely)

I've posted some alternate dates - this is a good spring or autumn ride but I wouldn't recommend it in late summer or depths of winter. It's HOT and COLD up there.

Otherwise, a couple of day runs, long and short ...

Southern Bounce half-day loop
Bounce through Royal NP > old Princes Hwy / Fwy past the Gong > bounce up Jamberoo Mtn > Tourist Rd behind Bowral / Mittagong > Hume M5

Bylong Byway day run
Windsor / Putty Rd > Golden Hwy > Bylong Valley Way (thru Rylstone / Kandos > Castlereagh Hwy > Bells Line of Road

Abercrombie Amble day run
Hume to Berrima > Bundanoon > Goulburn > Oberon > Mt Victoria > Bell's Line
Bodes
Basic User

Post by Bodes »

Bill,
Great to see some thought about potential runs. Anything that takes us over the Range on a day run is good. A few days out of town better. The further the better.

Having recently ha a 1200GS for only 3 months (missed my 1200R too much) I found the info exchange on rides & trips amongst GS'ers was quite extensive and therefore provided a ready source of riding buddies and rides. Last Sundays effort proved that there are disconnected keen to meet up.

If a particular 'long' weekend was nominated say including a Friday & Monday riders could join & leave at their leisure and still get a good ride in. Maybe also email the 1/2 dozen or so BMW dealers in the East know & ask them to forward email their R12R customers (that would reach wider than the the readers/lurkers on these forums). That should appeal to them on the basis that any communication between dealer and customer promotes positive relations for the dealer.

If it were in advance enough say November/December word should get around and people from all over would have an opportunity to touch base. Your 'looping the Ranges ride' with a bit more content south & north should attract distant cousins. Alternatively an event like the Snowy Ride could pick up R1200R riders for a worthwhile cause.

I think it would be great to generate something like that. I am not one for many group activities but the perfect balance of riding on your own (or with a pillion) and intersecting with a few like minded at the breaks or end of the day just adds so much to the experience.
Current 09 R1200R. More recently ex '09 R12GS, 07 R12R, 07 F800ST & distant memories
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Bodes wrote: Bill,
Maybe also email the 1/2 dozen or so BMW dealers in the East know & ask them to forward email their R12R customers (that would reach wider than the the readers/lurkers on these forums).
Thanks for the idea - but I'm more interested in picking up a run with a few like-minded folks. My experience running rallies for BMW clubs (ACT's Koscuisko Rally) and a charity rally (Corners for Kids - a financial services industry run) tells me I don't want to get into anything like that outside an established organisation (with liability cover!!!). Just a few easy-going guys enjoying a run ..
Bodes wrote: I am not one for many group activities but the perfect balance of riding on your own (or with a pillion) and intersecting with a few like minded at the breaks or end of the day just adds so much to the experience.
Yep, that's what I mean!
Bodes wrote: If it were in advance enough say November/December word should get around and people from all over would have an opportunity to touch base. Your 'looping the Ranges ride' with a bit more content south & north should attract distant cousins.
That's an idea - a four day late November or early December run to say Mallacoota would be good ... meet Mallacoota Friday night, a loop up Cann River, down Imlay, up Mt Darragh and back down Cann Valley to Mallacoota Saturday. Bruthen - Omeo - Bright - Corryong Sunday, home to Sydney via Thredbo, or Melbourne via Walwa & Beechworth, Monday ...

Anyhow, I'll re-post the 'looping the ranges' run for early November as a two-dayer for Sydney riders. Maybe a couple will show ..
Bodes
Basic User

Post by Bodes »

That Vic / southern NSW loop sounds great. The variations are solutions in disguise
Current 09 R1200R. More recently ex '09 R12GS, 07 R12R, 07 F800ST & distant memories