BMW MOA and RA Rallies

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

BMW MOA and RA Rallies

Post by jfslater98 »

Figured I'd start a thread for any here who attended either rally. I was lucky enough this year to be able to take the time off to do both rallies, and I had a great time and met a lot of nice folks. I'll add more here as I sort things out.

The trip started early for me, and it was a long day.

Got there in one slab-fest. BY the end of the trip, I was having trouble figuring out how my sidestand worked, or how to maneuver around a gas station. Maybe dehydration, maybe the hypnosis of I-81. At any rate, glad to be at my home for the next few days. Sherpa Mayberry:

Ted runs a first-class operation with his "tent-hotel" service. Re-fills on the air-mattress, fresh towels, outlets for charging your various gadgets. Replaced the air mattress my fat a** crushed the life out of on the second evening. Will definitely be signing up for that again.

Back with more soon.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: BMW MOA and RA Rallies

Post by OU812 »

John was my savior at the RA Rally as my room mate crashes the day before it started. Lucky for me as I was checking in, there standing before me was John (in his not so brilliant anymore) Aerostich 1 piece. We rode and drank the weekend away......... :mrgreen: 3200 miles for me. This was after CycleRob put me up for 3 nights with some great riding in Northern GA and wiring up 2 acc sockets (with switch) for me. You guys are both the BEST! =D>
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Marty2
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 492

Post by Marty2 »

Hey John,

I caught a glimpse of you heading south on I 287 on my way to work that morning . That orange Rock and that HI VIZ suit stick out like a sore thumb :D.
Looks like you had a great time. Wish I could have went :( :( .

Marty
# 492
2013 Wee Strom
There is a thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Marty2 wrote:Hey John,

That orange Rock and that HI VIZ suit stick out like a sore thumb :D.
Good to see my filthy 'Stich is still getting the job done. Can't let that get to my head though.
OU812 wrote:Lucky for me as I was checking in, there standing before me was John
I had a great time hanging out with you too! The RA rally wasn't the only time he magically appeared before me. At the MOA I was grabbing some ice water at Sherpa Central, and he and his riding buddy Wezul were arguing over what tent was assigned to whom. Not recognizing him, I offered to help since my phone was getting service in TN, and I could grab the Sherpa email. While looking again at the email, I recognized the name and introduced myself. Once he discovered the beer tent was open, there was a puff of dust and he was gone. ;)

This is Bob and Sharon. They were staying in a tent across from me. Really sweet folks, made me feel welcome at the Rally, being such a n00b to it all.

So it's Thursday now, and I spent the day soaking in the atmosphere, checking out the vendors.

EDIT: Pic below links to video of me riding on the shuttle they had set up there

I had signed up for the American Heritage Rolling Rally, and the organizer (Tina) had asked me to help their club from Wisconsin.

I was working the gate from 3-6. I had thought I would be indoors at registration, so I forgot to grease up with SPF 50. A nice sunburn ensued, talk about giving until it hurts! I was afraid that it would ruin the rally for me (I'm a bit of a pansy about sunburn), but the Rally, riding and hanging with Steve was so much fun, it didn't bother me all that much.

So that was Thursday for me, I didn't do much because of the volunteering. But I wasn't up for much riding, as the day before was plenty of miles for me.

Oh, and for those who just want to cut to the chase, here are all my pics
Last edited by jfslater98 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I love your captions JFLATER(flatulence). :badgrin:
When I amass my pics(from everyone else that took them) I will make my lame attempt at posting a ride report.
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Forgot something else I had done on Thursday: demo ride a GS.

OOooooh man did it feel good. Must. Resist. Temptation. It is a shame though that the first thing I'd do is rip the windshield off, the buffeting killed me. Just like it did in 2003 when I test rode a GS after having a ball on the Rockster. My knees do cry out for more room sometimes...

Moving on, I found the video I shot, including vomit-inducing "on-bike" shot. Problem is that it's over 1GB in total, so not sure how I will share.

So now it's Friday, and I'm itching to ride. On the MOA site, there was a 4-state ride, and they had a print out of it at the rally. It was raining in the morning, and the Illinois crew was not up for such dawn hijinx. So I did the 300 mile loop on my own. Wished I had tagged the locations

So after 30 years, I had not tented (if I even had done it as a young pup), and didn't sleep real well. So I was starting to fade around the Breaks Interstate Park. As I puttered through that park, I noticed this:

There was a collection of picnic tables under a roof, and that's all I needed. A light rain was falling, the hypnotic pitter-pat on the roof and in the many leaves of the forest...

One of those awesome naps where you awaken not entirely sure where you are. I was refreshed and ready for a quick hike through the woods to my next photo op.

As I moved from TN, to VA, then KY and now WV, I remembered StDocLizard1 talking about a side trip he had taken from the last Bash, winding up here

Doc had described a coffee shop with delicious pie. I wanted to stop and explore, to sample the pie, but something wouldn't let me. Part of me wanted to save some treasures for the next time I came to visit. But mostly I was hungry for twisties:

EDIT: click the picture below to test your stomach

That shot was a sample of a 500MB video I took by RAM mounting my camera to my non-faired motorcycle. You can probably imagine the results. Plus I ride like a drunken squid. The scenery was beautiful however

When I returned, I found that many more folks had come in

And had a bit of heartbreak (missed door prize by one number)

EDIT: Grabbed some video of an Ecomobile pushing up the training wheels, click on picture for video

EDIT: Stunt rider Chris "Teach" McNeil was running his BMW around. Watch him stoppie and get a kiss.

I was now ready to follow the Steves into the Beer Tent and see what that was all about

All in all, a great day.
Last edited by jfslater98 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:53 am, edited 8 times in total.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

This pic says it all for my first night at The Rally. I left my shoes out of the tent with my feet also out. Shoes got soaked but my feet stayed dry. Closed the beer tent. :smt075
My look the next morning.
Lucky for me I got in touch with a local from the STN site and he took me for a ride down the Snake(421). 1st pucker brought me back to life. :badgrin: Pics to follow.
Later that day on to the way to The Snake and The Hole in The Wall.
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Thanks for the shot of the Shortest Tunnel in the World. I blurred past it and decided not to take pics.

OK, so it's Saturday, and again I decided to get up early and go riding. Just a short one today, but maybe found the best road of the entire trip.

Warning: art shots ahead! Here are a few I did not post over in the MOA board, and this first one is linked to a series, should you feel like checking them all out.

The shots from here led to this great set of switchbacks, I believe it was 197, but I had to "earn my turns." As I was going through some straight sections, I very enthusiastically passed an older couple in a Toyota. I believe I hit the rev limiter on the way past them. I saw a sign warning about pavement ending, so I pulled over to study a map. Of course the Toyota had caught up to me now, and the couple stopped to make sure I was OK. They were very pleasant (good thing I didn't "salute" them on the pass prior, not that I wanted to), and offered advice about the gravel ahead. Then they waited for me to put everything away so I could zip ahead without having to pass them again.

The road did turn to gravel. Rather than doing the smart thing and enjoy the paved section on the way down, I skittered down a few miles of occasionally scary gravel road. Of course I forgot to take pictures. ](*,)

Even the interstates are beautiful here

This is Phil. Phil makes very tasty BBQ, and I ate a lot of it. At one point, he was smoking round the clock to serve more brisket. I am giving Phil a shout out here, because he worked so hard and I found his food so tasty.

So back at Rally central, I found that I still did not win any door prizes. But there were bikes still to be given away. This made me smile

Who am I kidding? I laughed out loud. It was like seeing one of those Medieval Festival actors checking the time on their Swatch.

Anyone want to guess what this was? Hint: it's fried and evil/delicious

They had old farm equipment there

EDIT: There was a biplane doing acrobatics (link for video)

And I didn't win anything here either

EDIT: But at least there were fireworks, pic below links to (very short) video

So that was the official end of my very first rally. I really enjoyed it, got to know some folks I only met on the Internet, and some others I had never met before at all. If the next rally wasn't in Redmond, OR I would definitely do this again. Maybe in 2011. And my trip continues...
Last edited by jfslater98 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I met the Pilot Friday while riding with the local. They are riding buddies. No see plane pic Flater? :lol:
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_h ... tures.html
bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

Great photos!

OU812, great pics on that link too.

THX
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

OU812 wrote:No see plane pic Flater? :lol:
That's weird. When I wasn't logged in, that pic wouldn't show. Now that I am, it has disappeared.

edit: pic should be back now. For some reason, the low res pics had part of the path to Picasa missing, "s640/" in this case. :-k

The crummy cell phone pic of the GS I demo'd also seems to appear and disappear...
Last edited by jfslater98 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

jfslater98 wrote:
OU812 wrote:No see plane pic Flater? :lol:
That's weird. When I wasn't logged in, that pic wouldn't show. Now that I am, it has disappeared.

The crummy cell phone pic of the GS I demo'd also seems to appear and disappear...
Same here. Again?
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Picasa is seriously beginning to try my patience :roll:

First it makes up a dirty word for the random link, thus thwarting my initial efforts to share my "award-winning" photography and "pithy" comments from this year's Bash with you all.

Now it's decided my low res additions to the rest of the album is "unclean". Jack-booted thugs! Where's my tin foil hat?

Anyhoo, back to the action. Before my attempt at art, a hail and hearty "thank you" to Bobw for your kind words.

Took a little time for Mr. Sun to show up Sunday morning

But the IL crew knows how to make the best of it

This is Tom. An easygoing gentleman from Nashville whom I followed on the first day of the American Heritage Rolling Rally.

We rode a bit of the Snake

I can't resist trying out local delicacies

It was sort of like ginger ale with maybe some finely ground vitamins mixed in. Not bad..

We made our way through the "hole in the wall". Just a blur for me but OU812 captured it very nicely, above. Then on to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not a very technical road, but pretty just the same.
Visible in the photo is the bubble on the left side jug, that I just noticed the other day. :evil:
Perhaps jealousy from the demo ride. Perhaps something else...

It took me some time to figure out what this next photo was about. Then I remembered: my fuel light had gone on around Meadows of Dan (never thought I would use that phrase in casual conversation). Tom and I seemed to think I had enough fuel left. About 30 miles later, Tom's GPS kept insisting that there was gasoline where a park ranger's home was located. The "Do Not Enter" signs told me differently. Have I bored anyone yet with my jaundiced view of GPS devices? "There's no replacing a paper map and a compass". Alright gramps, stop yer whining and go ask the park ranger at the gate where the next gas station was. There was quite a Squid Gathering at the place the ranger sent us to. Some of them "treated" Tom and me to their very loud exhausts and a standup wheelie or two. Oh well, different strokes... just please pay your AMA dues so the lobbyists can keep us riding. Ow, stop hitting me with my soap box!
You're also seeing a glimpse of how I have tracked 99% of every mile I've ridden on this bike. And almost every dollar. Not that I'm obsessive or anything. 8-[

So this trip ended with me in Lexington, VA, as Tom made his way to the Camp Site in Natural Bridge. But not before running the Rockster up to the Full Ton on I-81. Traffic stopped at one point, and I sidled up to a dude in sneakers on an LT, munching on some cookies. His plates said NJ, and it turned out he was an employee of Der Moterrad. He had borrowed the LT from the fleet, and had taken some time off to ride with his dad at the rally. It was time for me to peel off and I landed at a very sketchy looking Howard Johnsons perched at the top of a hill. Later on in this trip, I would very much wish I was back at this HoJo's. Threats of snakes or not...

Before I got too comfy, I set back out on a trip to find provisions: beer, food, camp soap and string. On my way to Walmart, I passed a little hut claiming that the largest rattlesnake in the south lived in its confines. I sincerely hoped they kept that big feller happy on a diet of mice, dogs or whatever size mammal it needed to stay in its hut on Lee Hwy. Soon I would be the freak attraction: wandering around the Walmart, sweating in my filthy yellow Roadcrafter 1 piece. Parents and children alike were horrified. Or perhaps offended at the putrid smell I was no doubt emanating at this point in my travels. Did I mention I was running out of camp soap? The day ended with me swilling surprisingly nice beer and chomping on a crout d'ete platter, while staring at the weather channel. Not sure why I made those particular choices. I managed to not finish the rest of Angels and Demons that night.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Thanks for the pics JohnBoy Flater. =D>
Tim(the local) turned me on to the "Dr Enuf" when we stopped at the 421 store. Kinda gave me a boost. :p
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Unfortunately, the pictures for Monday July 20 are pretty slim. Here it is

That my only "souvenir" from attempting to ride one of only 2 poled ferries in the U.S. Feel free to make up your own jokes on that one...

After examing the roads ahead it's becoming clear that this is a sightseeing tour, and I started to wish I had followed OU812 over to Cyclerob's. The next night's "adventure" really made me wish I had made that choice. But I had but one path, that toward Newport News, VA...

To make the best of this, I chose a squiggly path up into the BRP, which itself had a bit of a technical edge to it in the section going North from Lexington. I then attempted to find the Hatton Ferry. Which I did, despite signs before it telling me that I should turn back. "But this information was handed to me through the Internet. Surely it will be open." No. The signs several miles ahead, telling me that it was only open on Saturdays and Sundays was indeed correct. Dejected, on the way back I noticed the street sign above, sharing the name of a person I know. "Not a total loss, I guess".

The area around Richmond was windy, and it ripped my nifty leg mounted map holder right off and the nice (and free) AAA VA/MD/DE/DC map inside was quickly gone. Now I was puttering about in strip mall hell, just outside of Richmond, in search of fuel for me and the Rockster. A disappointing Chick-Fil-A and even more disappointing gas station maps were obtained. I made my way to the Microtel Inn just before the rains hit. That turned out to be a very nicely appointed room, with a PC so I was able to check up on emails. I spent the rest of the evening finishing up Angels and Demons. And hoping for more interesting experiences ahead. I got a bit more than I bargained for...
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

The rolling rally was on its way to Cambridge, MD. This next leg of the ride didn't include much in the way of curves, but I did get 47mpg in trade for boredom. I found this example of civil engineering very interesting however

In two sections of this bridge, they dive you underwater

And you pop back up into daylight.

Those last two shots were taken from the same place, the Panasonic TZ5 has turned out to be a great camera.

Before making my way to the hotel, I decided to stop at the Assateague State Park. On the way in I saw some big brown critters running along the bay and thought "Those are some big dogs, I wonder whose they are?". Then remembered the wild ponies, and laughed a bit.

The water was great, and because I was in microfiber clothing, I just jumped right in, no need for a bathing suit.

Then I took another awesome nap

A nice dinner at a local country club, where I got to know some of the folks who were running on the trip a little bit better.

Then I began wishing I had camping gear to pack with me. What a dump...

That was the view inside my hotel room, across from the ice machine, the main stairs and over a main entrance. With an evil-looking stain on the door. Relaxing. Partially my fault, I had dawdled on booking everything, and all they had left was a smoking room. In addition to smoking cigarettes, there was this odd meat sub-odor, so I wonder if they were making sausages in the room too. Of course the screen on the window had been cut, so I couldn't open the door and air it out. In a stroke of marketing genius, a liquor store was attached to the main lobby of the hotel. Cheap wine and beer nuts to the rescue!

The bottle of Herding Cats (not bad at $6 BTW) couldn't suppress the noise from the donnybrook, technically happening on the next day of the rally.
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

At around 2am, I was awoken (sort of, never really fell asleep) by quite a bit of noise. There was cussing, threats of bodily harm... followed by some very loud thumping and cries of "No Travis, Stop!". When I peeked through the window, I was surprised (based on the racial epithets thrown about) to see a doughy redneck with a 6-inch gash on his shoulder, bleeding quite profusely and looking/sounding very agitated. The others' attention was focused on someone else who by their reports "wasn't moving". Travis disappeared shortly before the police appeared, but I had heard in the morning he was apprehended. From what I gathered Travis had thrown the other guy through a window. I didn't hear of any deaths so the other one must have been OK. I know, some report I've gathered. What can I say? The Herding Cats drowned my investigative instincts. I did get this the next morning

Travis' Calling Card

I can honestly say I was glad to shake the dust of Cambridge, MD off my shoes. I was to meet some friends in Alexandria, but didn't feel like sleeping in, so I had some spare time to spend. My grandmother grew up in Annapolis, and I had some vague plan of trying to find her home. But instead I found the WWII Memorial

Technically my step-father, the man I called "Dad" (and always will) was a WWII vet himself, in the Italian campaign. He ran a half-track outfit out of Sicily. Truly a solid, stand-up guy. I didn't appreciate him when he was around (punk a** teenagers!) and miss him now. That man could choke down the most god-awful dishes and ask for more. He had no patience for my picky eating habits. "Do you know what we had to eat in the Army? Let me tell you what S.O.S. meant..." It didn't happen often, but I knew my mother had served up a real clunker when my dad, offered seconds, said "No thanks Carol, I had a big lunch".

Anyway, I salute you Al!

I meandered back to my bike when this older couple showed up on a pair of Sportsters. The lady was maybe only an inch shorter than me, and the guy was CycleRob height. She was just starting out riding, and had taken a BRC just about a month prior. I had a great time shooting the breeze with them. I mentioned that I was on my way to Bob's BMW and he described a beautiful black LT with custom pin striping there, that he was lusting after. I will reel in the slack on that detail in a bit.

So I made my way over to Alexandria, to visit some friends I had seen only a few weeks prior. They are the parents of a friend I knew from high school. It's likely that I hadn't seen them in 16 years, maybe longer. Then in the space of a month I see them twice, and will likely visit with them again this month.

It was getting steamy in the DC area, so it was nice to stop and get a bit of A/C and some home-made food. I also returned Angels and Demons, which they had lent me when I visited last. After this, I rode up one of the many interstates and it was getting hot. A brief downpour really refreshed me. Then I made it to the last destination on the Rally

Couldn't resist trying out the new tripod I purchased, because the $.59 part I needed for my system case didn't satisfy enough. Of course one of these was begging for me to try out

I managed to resist the urge to purchase this bike. But the urges still persisted... Perhaps some barbecue will distract me

While poking around the dealership, I found the black LT the folks in Annapolis were raving about. It did indeed look beautiful. There was a couple nearby, looking it over. I mentioned my conversation I had earlier to them, and it turned out they were local. They had lived in Maryland most of their lives. When I mentioned that I was at the WWII memorial I got blank stares from them. They had no idea it was there, but were amused by that omission. "Leave it to a guy from New Jersey to tell us about a new destination in our own state!"

Bob Henig took us for a tour of annex, across the street, where he had a large collection of bikes he is in the midst of restoring.

Well, I was still a bit dehydrated and tired from poking around the DC hinterlands, so I gratefully puttered back to my comfortable, not-the-least-bit-sketchy hotel for a last night of comfort, before continuing to the next leg of my tour.
Last edited by jfslater98 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

:smt041
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer

Post by jfslater98 »

Dateline: Thursday, July 23 2009 Jessup, MD. The final leg of the American Heritage Ride and I am in full-on Dawdle Mode. 9 trips back and forth from the hotel room to the motorcycle in the parking lot. I had misplaced something, and it required the full disgorgement of the top case to locate my wallet. My grandmother would be proud, she was the queen of adding at least 30 minutes to any long trip! The bastard in the roach coach next to the liquor store lied to me, it's now 8:30 am and he is nowhere in site. How am I supposed to sustain myself with colon-threatening breakfast burritos now? I guess I'll eat the healthy stuff in the continental breakfast. :roll: On my way by 10am.

A sales rep at Bob's had provided me with some alternate directions to the rally, promising great roads. Meh. I guess the roads around Johnson City spoiled me. It was pleasant enough, and it did keep me away from the interstate, which was nice after the bumper-to-bumper hell I was in the day before. The sales rep also gave me some side roads for the ride back from Canaan Valley, I was hoping to have enough energy to try them out.

At one point I had caught up to Tennesee Tom. Tom's RS was not equipped with blinker cancellers, so I could tell it was him. :lol: That guy needs a Signal Minder. I rode with Tom for a bit until he inexplicably turned around. It turned out later he was hunting for food.

While fueling up in Romney WV, I saw a most unusual thing. A maroon Honda Rune. Being ridden. And not just to go to the bar either, this thing had visible evidence of road dirt on it! I talked to the rider, and complimented him on the bike's less than perfect appearance. He good naturedly accepted the compliment, talked about how much he enjoyed riding it, and then continued lambasting his riding buddy whose GPS had gotten them lost... again. What's with those things? I'm not sure I even want to get a cheapo unit to stay in the top case now.

Rt 93 had the potential to be a great road... but the traffic and coal trucks! What a buzz kill! Nice scenery just the same, and the weather was great.

I arrive in Canaan Valley.

EDIT: And immediately being taking video. Pic below leads to 360 view of my spot

Wow! Is it pretty here! The view up to the resort

And the view back down from the lodge

While poking about the lodge, I happened to wander into the lobby area. Guess who was checking in?

It was tough for him to miss me, as I was still wearing the 'Stich. After he checked in, we made a quick run back into town for provisions, as you can see from the shot above. We take advantage of the ice chest Ted provides for those that Sherpa, like myself. OU812 had a room in the lodge, but hung out with me and Ted down in the barrio for the evening, before riding the shuttle bus back up the hill.

Evening settled in and I had a comfy tent, thanks to Sherpa Mayberry. All in all, a good day, and I was happy to see a familiar face at this rally as well.
Last edited by jfslater98 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.