Adding a 12V car type power socket.

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Adding a 12V car type power socket.

Post by CycleRob »

My F800ST came with the proprietary 12V BMW (same as John Deere) power socket. The problem is anything 12V powered you buy has an automotive cigarette lighter type plug attached. Tire pumps, GPS units, cell phone charge cords, small emergency lighting and some battery chargers. The car type 12V power sockets are inexpensive. I purchased a "weatherproof" model at Wal*Mart for less than $15. It has a durable, hinged flip up cap that is heavily spring loaded and gasket sealed when closed. Buying it was the easy part. Installing it, because I wanted an instantaneous choice of battery OR Key-on power, took several hours of thoughtful, cautious craftsmanship. That may sound like an exaggeration, but it isn't. Fortunately, the Key-on and battery power terminals system was already added in a previous session, so only the power socket, rocker switch and wiring needed to be added.

Having the fuel tank under the seat is a great place to put it -but- it's always in the way when I want to add an accessory to my bike, especially the 12V power socket. There is literally very few places to install it, dismissing cutting a hole in the nothing-but-curvy bodywork. Any place up front around the steering would mean it would get doused with water on a regular basis. All the body panels direct cooling air (and rain) to the radiator, near the desired power socket location, so that was out. It also wouldn't be an ideal location for choice 2 below. Then I saw a tiny footprint where the power socket would fit. It satisfied all the variables. Marked the location, got the screws, drilled the holes and screwed it into place. I twisted the 2 power wires and fed them up to the seat rail where the (+) will connect to a $4, 10A DPDT rocker switch from Radio Shack. Again, the switch was wired in so I can quickly choose if battery -or- key-on power will power the socket.

The start of any farkle add-on requires you make a decision if the add-on will be removed when you sell the bike. It determines the rules you must follow . . . . or can ignore. The power socket, wiring and it's rocker switch all are under $20 and would be too difficult to remove, so they "go" with the bike. Besides, it's an asset. That decision allows permanent changes that are difficult or expensive to remove. Specifically, drilling 3 holes in the sprocket cover's top surface to mount the cigarette lighter type 12V power socket. Here you are looking at the (normally dirty) inside of the top portion of the sprocket cover.

Here it is in the installed position, prior to me cutting off the excess, protruding left side mount bolt in this pic:

The 10Amp rocker switch became a 20 Amp switch after each of the 3 wires were soldered across the parallel DP terminals. Hiding it close by and out of sight was possible in only one location, shown here:

The bracket is held in place by the double end threaded rubber shock mounts for the seat's front mount frame assembly that also contains the lightweight plastic charcoal canister that is retained in place by a single large sized Zip-tie.

The sheet steel bracket for the rocker switch was the perfect thickness, cut from a dishwasher door color change panel. I can access the rocker switch by feel after reaching thru the triangular frame opening, near the suspension preload knob. Click! The power source changes from Battery to Key-on or vice versa. Just that fast.

OK. So what will I use it for? 5 things, either battery (B) or Key-On (K) powered:
1--Battery charger hook-up (B).
2--Ann's Widder vest (K).
3--12V Tire pump (B).
4--Cell phone charging after a long trip or when needed (K). Phone goes in jacket pocket.
5--Access for a voltage check/reading (B).

The easy way is to just hook the power socket up to the battery terminals, but that means accessories would always be powered unless they were unplugged.

EDIT:
changed LInks to ThumbNails for faster preview.
Last edited by CycleRob on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: Adding a 12V car type power socket.

Post by boxermania »

Robbie

Great post.......I'm looking forward to the kitchen sink installation.....that should be interesting...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX