F800S DEMO

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

F800S DEMO

Post by sweatmark »

OK. Maybe it's CycleRob's enthusiasm for the F800, or acute oilheadsplinophobia, or just a consumerist want for something new... but for curiosity's sake I checked to see if our favorite BMW dealership had any F800somethings for sale. The idea is a possible trade-in of my wife's R1150R Roadster, which is fresh from a big 24k miles service and running like a champ. Of course, the R1150R also has splines, fuel quick-connects, clutch slave cylinder, final drive bearings... I'll deal with such challenges as part of the long-term relationship with my Rockster, but if there's a good option for Mrs. Sweatmark's moto-needs, then I'd like to investigate.

Yep, our dealer has an F800S loaner bike for sale: low miles & loaded with stuff (ABS, heated grips, TPM, computer). Exactly the options I'd choose from the Build-a-Bike menu. Here's a token media photo:

And most importantly, our dealer's gently-loaned F800S is RED. Mrs. Sweatmark's Mediterranean blood is always stirred by bright & vibrant colors, particularly deep hues of red. In stark contrast, my Scandinavian genetic material prefers subtle shades of GREY- since bright sunlight means bright sunburn and accelerated hair loss.

Lunchtime today between customer calls, I stopped by to get some details. (1) Loaner F800S is still available. (2) The bike is in good condition. (3) All service campaign work completed, of course. (4) Trade-in value for the Roadster is close to my initial guess, making the deal a possibility. (5) Sales Manager Tom was kind enough to let me take a demo ride.

Showroom floor:

Tom rolls the bike outside to see if it will run; it's been a fixture in the dealership for a few months now and hasn't seen much love or battery tender time. In contrast, I'm confident that the F800 will start because I don't see any R1150 twin-spark stick coils!

And with one button push it's purring rhythmically, Teutonically, with subtly sporty intent:

I ride for about 30 minutes, in city traffic, some two-lane, and a taste of Interstate. To pay back the favor, I filled the bike with fresh Premium before returning to the dealership. Here are my demo ride impressions:

F800 motor does its job well. There's enough torque to satisfy real world riding requirements, especially for folks with Boxer motor experience. Feels a little buzzy in specific RPM zones, but smooths out (more than the R1150 Type259 engine) in the sweet spot occupied by cruising speed in gears 4, 5, and 6.

F800 motor does its job well. Clever parallel twin design yields the additional revs we BMW Boxer (and Buell) riders secretly yearn for. There's enough power at higher RPMs to make the ride interesting - I'm not talking about 600/1000 four cylinder manic chainsaw interesting, but enough power to make you feel sporty.

Speaking of sporty: the F800S "clip-ons" offer an aggressive riding position. I'm not sure Mrs. Sweatmark will like the ergonomics, and only time and her own demo ride will tell. For me, I was thinking "trackdays" as soon as I hit the highway! Actually, there's a sportbike posture and dynamic (steering response, rider input requirements) that feels universal to me, e.g GSXR, CBR-RR, etc., and the F800S possesses that characteristic sportbike demeanor.

What's un-sporty is the bike's soft OE suspension setup. We're talking plush, like one of those 4-seater LazyBoy recliner behemoths with 8 cupholders, vibro-massage, and a beer cooler hidden under articulating arm-rest. Yep, that plush. Well, actually not H-D Road King plush but "too soft for a proper sportsbike", I thought to myself while gliding over rough pavement. And then the realization of Truth appeared like sunlight streaming through Oregon's gray June cloudy day: no, this isn't really a sportsbike, because it's a BMW and has expectation of usefulness. Now, my Buell XB is not useful: its custom suspension is bliss during a trackday but torture on any real road; in contrast, the F800S offers a balanced & controlled ride without undue chiropractor-enrichening vertebrae hammering. OK, the BMW is sporty-ish and useful.

Two things I really like: the well-designed controls and clocks (that's actually "one thing"), and the fuel tank and filler location (those are also "one thing", if you know what I mean). The controls are typical BMW world class stuff. One of my big beefs with the old F650s was the cheesy switchgear quality - unbecoming of a Beemer; you can't knock the F800 bikes in this regard, becauseall the details are really nicely done: switchgear, gauges, and info-packed display. As for the fuel tank and filler, my gas stop experience with the F800S taught me what plenty of folks already know: that angled side filler location makes life simple, with practical filling while bike's on side-stand, and no fiddling with tank bags!

I really appreciate the thoughtful & restrained approach to this motorcycle's controls and instrumentation:

Parting glance, tank full, engine warm: crouching tiger, hidden German sensibility.

Will be interesting to hear Mrs. Sweatmark's impressions following a test ride when time permits. Ya'all be the first to know!
bobw
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: F800S DEMO

Post by bobw »

I was looking forward to getting an 800 when they originally came out. Then the long delays and early problems discovered by our Euro friends/Beta testers caused me to move on to other bikes. All the recent postings and seeing quite a few 800GS's on the road has sparked my interested in them again.

Good luck with SWMBO and thanks for the report.

Cheers

Bob
sillyjax
Basic User

Post by sillyjax »

Oooohhhhhh...Mrs. Sweatmark likey....

Yes! Test ride will tell...being the safety fanatic that I am, definitely need to see if I would hang out in the "red zone" while riding. Adding 15# in that position may find my head resting on the tank for relief on long roadtrips...

Ergos aside, I LOVE the bike...the right color, the right curves, the right foshizzle.....sign me up for a test ride!!! :D
Jacquie
R1150r in Oregon
MattPie
Lifer

Post by MattPie »

I rode an F800GS last weekend at a local dealer's (Hermy's) demo day.

This isn't an official factory demo day, Hermy just lets people ride his fleet of demos and loaners on a 30min led ride. The ride included some 55mph highway and winding back roads. I hadn't had much interest in the F800's, but after this, their on my list of bikes to try. I'd just echo everything above, so I won't repeat...

What I liked:
Quick, light, and in the GS's case, lots more room than my R1150R.

What I didn't:
Chain drive was a bit hard to get used to, the bike wanted to buck a bit from my admittedly less than gentle throttle inputs. Similarly, the forks dive a bit on braking. Not having ridden many 'normal' bikes, I'd guess these are fairly normal but a contrast from the telelever and paralever. :)

I also rode a big-honkin Triumph Rocket 3 that day. That was a contrast as well. :)
Go Sabres!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

As a follow-up to the oh-so-important hair Straightening product offer shown above (Moderators - please remove these messages)...

So yesterday Mr. Sweatmark and I rode down to our favorite BMW dealership for test ride number 2 - this time with Mrs. Sweatmark at the controls, and Yours Truly riding my Rockster. She had already sat on the bike to gauge the riding position, but this was the day for critical riding test, with direct comparison to her Roadster via the hour's ride to and from the dealership.

Her comments:
  • Since the F800S was the first bike she's ridden with handlebar independent of fairing and instrument mounts, she found the sensation of turning while the front of bike stayed static to be disconcerting. Quickly got used to it though.

We rode through some twisties carefully, but she did like the bike's responsiveness.

She also found the OE suspension setup to be smooth and controlled... unlike my experience, but that's because she's half my weight!

Appearance and contruction quality - all great. She likes the onboard computer info (including tire pressure monitor) and of course the red color that matches her BMW Airflow jacket.

Riding position - yes, some weight on the wrists, but acceptable. She's thinking about getting the low seat option.

Performance: this was the most important aspect, and her comment upon getting back on the Roadster for the ride home was "This bike is huge!"... "I feel like a nerd riding this thing (R1150R) after the F800S."
We just might have a deal in the making.