BMW Tankbag with Barbacks?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

BMW Tankbag with Barbacks?

Post by pebmr »

Anyone use the OEM BMW tankbag with barbacks? I've got the moto techniques 1-1/4" barbacks on, and wondering if the R tankbag would interfere with the handlebars. I have the Nelson Rigg small rectangular bag on now, and had to noticeably move it back out of the way of the new barbacks. Looking for a bigger bag but don't want to spring for one and not have it fit.
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: BMW Tankbag with Barbacks?

Post by Buckster »

I had that set up and it works with no problems. I still have the bag but sold my barbacks to Digga about a year ago. I felt a little too upright and took them off.
Buckster '03R
pebmr
Basic User

Post by pebmr »

Thanks Buckster. Always nice to know beforehand :D
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Like Buckster I have the same setup. No problems. My barbacks are the Verholen variety I think (they were on the 04 when I bought it). Prior to the 04 I had an 03 with the MotoTechnic barbacks http://www.moto-techniques.com/

The quality was second to none and price was 1/4 that of the Verholens. My only problem with that arrangement was that I was running an aftermarket magnetic tank bag and during hard left turns (parking lots) the bag would hit the horn button. I think that was more the tank bag than anything else.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Jaguar5
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 706

Post by Jaguar5 »

I too am unsure of the type of barbacks that I have, as they were on the bike when I purchased it. The only problem that I have encountered is the horn button issue previously described. In the long run, It is a minor (but embarrassing) problem that I have encountered on numerous occassions.
Blue '02 R1150R
Member # 706
pebmr
Basic User

Post by pebmr »

Thanks for the responses :) I pulled the trigger, so the bag should be on it's way. I'll need to definitely try it out on a road trip soon.
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red