What if I run out of fuel...?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

chasestudio
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

What if I run out of fuel...?

Post by chasestudio »

Its been interesting reading the posts about fuel consumption. I, like many, reset the trip at each fill-up; I see it as way of checking consumption, and an early warning that something may be wrong.

What I want to know is; what happens when you do run out? In times past it was a major hassle to prime fuel pumps, bleed the system and - you guessed - pay the man to sort it out. I'm assuming that fuel pumps are now self-priming, so in the unlikely event that you run dry, you just fill up, press the tit and get back on the road. Am I deluded?

Interested to here of your experiences. Regards.
mkmd555
Lifer

Re: What if I run out of fuel...?

Post by mkmd555 »

I fill after 120 miles on the odometer.

I fear the 'walk of shame'

M Khan
frbank6
Basic User

Post by frbank6 »

I ran out (only once!) on I-65, at night, in a construction zone, with NO shoulder and jersey barriers blocking any exit. The most frightening time of my life. I had no choice but walk the bike about 400 yards to get past the barriers.

I called the BMW Roadside Assist guys and they showed up in about an hour. I can tell you that leaving the hazards flashing just that long was enough to totally flat the battery. After putting in a gallon and getting a push from the BMW guy, I finally got it going.

I never had any issues pump-wise, just embarrassment from ignoring the warning light.
2003 R1150R ABS Dakar Yellow/Ferro
Veritas vos Liberabit
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Ran out of gas, both R1150R Roadster and Rockster:

The Roadster went dry 2 miles from home at 50MPH on top of a gentle hill... coasted all the way home to my driveway. Filled it with gas the next day, started right up.

Rockster went dry on the freeway, surprised me because of the low miles accumulated on the trip meter, something like 180. This was first local riding after bringing the bike home from out of state its maiden voyage, and I'd forgotten that a Rockster with only 1k miles and a short 6th gear gets fewer miles on a full tank than well-broken-in Roadster. Mrs. Sweatmark stood watch on the roadside while I hopped on her Roadster to get fuel... Rockster started right up after its thirst was quenched with a gallon of $2- gas carried in a $10- plastic gas jug (the filling station sure saw me coming).
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I ran out to test the accuracy of the remains of gas in the tank. Yep, it was less than I thought. I filled it back up and was on my way (after calling roadside assistance, and waiting for the gas guy to show up). No damage done.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Post by TicTac50 »

I ran out fuel a few times too. Every time it happened, I just laid the bike on the side (I have crash bars on my bike).
Let it rest for a few seconds, put it in to upright position and just hit the start switch. Never had a problem starting the bike and always got a mile or two or just enough to get me to the gas station. After I modified the gas tank, thanks to CycleRob, I always can squeeze about 200 miles out of the tank of gas. Maybe on the old BMW bikes it was a problem, R1150R does not have it, or I did not hear about bleeding the system after running out of fuel. :oops: :oops: :oops:
For a long trips I always carry a small metal container that use to contain propane, and keep it under the top case, filed with gasoline . I never had a chance to use it but it always there if I need it. 1litter will get you to the gas station :smt033
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
D.B.
Basic User

Post by D.B. »

..which side did you lay the bike on when you ran out of gas?...I'm new, and probably missed out on some info... :D

D.B.
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Post by TicTac50 »

D.B. wrote:..which side did you lay the bike on when you ran out of gas?...I'm new, and probably missed out on some info... :D

D.B.
Right side. The location of the fuel pump. :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Lifetime Member #586
2002 R1150R
2004 R1150 ABS
2003 F650 CSA
PRESSING "1" FOR ENGLISH!
chasestudio
Basic User

Post by chasestudio »

Thanks for the posts guys. Good tip on the use of spare can.

Regards, Ian.
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

TicTac50 wrote:For a long trips I always carry a small metal container that use to contain propane, and keep it under the top case, filed with gasoline . I never had a chance to use it but it always there if I need it. 1litter will get you to the gas station :smt033
I saw a picture of a guy that had a pair of what looked like fuel bottles for camps stoves clipped to the back of his system cases. They were the long metal kind with those plastic screw on tops. They were big, 32-64 oz. It looked like a lot more effective use of space then carrying a gallon gas can straped to the top of the case.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
FloridaBeakster
Lifer

Post by FloridaBeakster »

Airman wrote:I saw a picture of a guy that had a pair of what looked like fuel bottles for camps stoves clipped to the back of his system cases. They were the long metal kind with those plastic screw on tops. They were big, 32-64 oz. It looked like a lot more effective use of space then carrying a gallon gas can straped to the top of the case.
These bad boys are all the rage over on ADV: Owner's Manual Cansiter

They will hold a 33oz MSR Fuel Bottle or a variety of tools, knick-knacks, etc.

I ordered a handfull of them and plan to mount one or two on the Roadster. One will be designated to hold a full MSR fuel bottle, for use as either emergency use fuel or as fuel for my stove. 33 oz should get me 10 miles on the open road. The other I haven't decided on, yet. Maybe oil, first aid kit, bike cover, or ????. So far I've managed to fit all my tools (including spare tire plug kit and 12V compressor) under the seat and gas tank, so I don't need it for that.
-Mike

'02 R1150R
'88 R100RS
Ritchard
Basic User

Post by Ritchard »

Mike,

I like the idea of mounting spare fuel, where do you think you would put the canister(s) on your Roadster?

R
My favourite website:
Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn How!
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Seafoam can full of gas would be great as a spare can o' fuel.
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F