What paint on the Rockster Tank?

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

moonbandito
Basic User

What paint on the Rockster Tank?

Post by moonbandito »

I've got two small chips near the filler cap on my '04 Rock. What brand and name of paint (...and filling material?) would the folks on the list recommend be used to 'fill in' the chips?
jas
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: What paint on the Rockster Tank?

Post by jas »

I would think that any quality flat black paint would work, not sure about filler, multiple layers may fill the void. What few chips I have had, have been covered with a felt tip permanent marker which appears to blend well (I don't notice the chips).
2004 Roc.
redline999
Basic User

Post by redline999 »

yes, the black sharpie seems to do the trick.... obviously, a respray in a few years, but for now....

I am thinking of this color in metal flake to replace the citrus and leave the layout.
jrock
Basic User

Post by jrock »

I had a scratch on mine and had a body shop look at it. They told me it is hard to find a flat black that would hold up to gasoline. I have done the sharpie but it seems to wear off soon. I just leave it the way it is now. I checked BMW's electronic catalog a few years ago and they had touch up pencils for it but they showed none available. Either they sold out or didn't make anymore.
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Long salvage bike story... but I had to fill in a couple dents in a Rock tank and then paint it... I used flat black Duplicolor... when I ran out of that I used a flat black Rustoleum.... Flat black is not flat black, but for a small spot either should do the job... There is a very thick undercoating under the black paint. I'm sure the paint and the undercoating are epoxy, to give them the gasoline resistance.
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)