Jefferson National Forest & Catawba Valley, Virginia

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

mjcraft
Lifer
Donating Member #: 661

Jefferson National Forest & Catawba Valley, Virginia

Post by mjcraft »

Went on a short trip today on the R with my wife joining along. It was overcast and rainy earlier in the day but a break in the clouds was appealing to the both of us so we went for it. We left from Blacksburg along Mt. Tabor Rd towards 311 and took a side road (Miller Cove Rd) just to check out a place where the Appalachian Trail crosses the road.

However, we also took a wrong turn that led us to this tranquil spot:

Me feeding the horses:

Miller Cove Rd wound through Jefferson National Forest. The roads were wet, then gravel over asphalt (the worst!), then gravel (good condition). Going was slow but scenery and wildlife were plentiful along the creek bed...

Once we made it to the AT, we decided to turn back as the road and the weather were looking uncertain (for our clothing, anyway). We stopped one last time along Catawba Rd to take a short break:

Then, after dinner, we just pulled up to the house, turned off the street, and (as some of you may have guessed it) had a, "Well, let's just set her right there" moment. The right cylinder head gently came to rest on the street as we weren't moving at all. Oh well, it was going to happen sooner or later...

This occurs after a long ride and having just had the thought, “We really covered some nasty roads today. It's good that we didn't have any mishaps...”

Overall, a good ride...I'll just try to leave out that last part next time!

-Michael

PS more pics at: http://picasaweb.google.com/mjcraft/BMWR1150R
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Re: Jefferson National Forest & Catawba Valley, Virginia

Post by Biff's R »

Looks like you had a nice ride.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I tipped my bike over while loading it onto a trailer, and scratched the cylinder head.

You should check out the group rides section and look at going to Hungry Mother SP in Marion, VA.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!