Meet me in Las Vegas?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Meet me in Las Vegas?

Post by CycleRob »

Life changing events have happened. My wife got laid off from her 27 year job after years ago requesting she be considered for lay-off when one occurs. Our retirement was planned for 2006 or so but her 52 weeks of severance pay makes a huge difference when compared to just quitting. It has moved up our plans up 1 year to retire early and permanently move South to a small town North of Atlanta GA. Prior to that we are going to Las Vegas to get mmmmmm . . . . . mmmmmmmm . . . . It's still hard to say . . . . . maaaarrrr . . . . . OK, breathe out s-l-o-w-l-y . . . . married. Exactly 18 years after our first date in 1987. Been happily together ever since. The Vegas date is Sept 18th - - - 20th this year. It would be cool to meet some west coast buddies. What do you say to that Sunday afternoon/evening?

Retirement means working on bikes out of my newer Georgia house. I have umpteen years of JapBike skills but will also focus on OilHeads, ABS models too. That's why I did not hide this in Off Topic.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Rob,
It sounds like things are going to work out OK. I would love 52 weeks of "paid vacation", especially the year before I planned to retire. Are you going to leave PA now, or stay for another year? Those oilhead guys in N. Georgia are gonna be happy campers with your expertise in the area.

Are you gonna ride to Vegas? If you have the time, why not. Congratulations!

Jeff
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
r1150rider
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by r1150rider »

Rob- I don't particularly have any use for Vegas, but I would be delighted to ride there and meet you and your bride-to-be. I can only imagine what the response will be from the "west coasters", I'd imagine the turnout could well be pretty large. Great time of year to go there, too...

C'mon, west coast beaksters- let's go meet one of the icons of this teriffic forum (who has provided so much wisdom and help) and help he and his lady celebrate!
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

I'm in - it's just a nice weekend ride for me....might even ride the Duc.....
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
1MPH
Lifer

Post by 1MPH »

IN!!!!! Hey maybe we can all be witnesses. Let us know where
you'll be staying. See you in september.
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Good for you CycleRob....I wish I could make it too.

So what's it gunna be...a drive through or an Elvis wedding...?... :smt057

DJ
12bar1
Lifer

Vegas

Post by 12bar1 »

Congratulations Rob I wish you all the best. Where in GA are you going to settle. I am going there in July to look for my retirement property.
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

Congrats Rob!

Any Arizona riders up for a ride to Vegas?

ProductUser
wncbmw
Lifer

Las Vegas?

Post by wncbmw »

Rob - I can't make the wedding in Vegas but you moving north of Atlanta is exciting. It means you aren't too far from me! Hmmm. . . I see some riding together in the future. :D

Congrats on the big event. My wife is able to retire from teaching but remains on the job for various reasons. I, alas, still have to keep up the grind. :cry:
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

ROBBIE! YOUR GONNA BE MY NEIGHBOR!

I'm in the process of buying a house back over in Woodstock. I've been in Cumming for a year and a half. Let us know where you are. Ellijay? Clayton? Hiawassee? Blue Ridge? Maybe you can teach me how to REALLY ride.

Oh! Congratulations on the hitch-up.
wncbmw
Lifer

riding

Post by wncbmw »

Boxer said ". . .Maybe you can teach me how to REALLY ride"

Somebody needs to! :lol:
Acacia
Basic User

Post by Acacia »

Wonderfull, Rob and whatever her name might be - Alles van die Beste!! (everything of the best).

Do you really want all these 50R scruffy runts at your and HER wedding - sheesh!? And all they will want to talk about is .....

But then you will approach the event, and them, with the clear purpose demonstrated in your work and comments no doubt?

Acaia!
Member #192
"Life is a curve!"
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Somebody needs to!
I resemble that remark! I've only run over you once.
Capt. Blackadder
Basic User

Post by Capt. Blackadder »

ProductUser wrote:Any Arizona riders up for a ride to Vegas?
Why the hell not?

Congrats, Rob! :smt023
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS
HiOSilver
Lifer

Post by HiOSilver »

ProductUser wrote: Any Arizona riders up for a ride to Vegas?
ProductUser
Congratulations Rob, I'll see you there!
-Chris
04 Silver R
Lifetime member #423
toner87

Vegas Wedding

Post by toner87 »

Hey,
Congrats! You chose a great weekend! Hell, if it weren't my OWN anniversary (#13 on 9/19) I'd probably make the trip, too, but I don't think Susie would be all that thrilled. Have a great time!
T.
jammer60

ok

Post by jammer60 »

Alright..count me in,,,,maybe us AZ folks can ride up enmass and scare the bejesus out of Vegas.
Congrats Rob.
Roger
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Wow. What a response. I was looking to spend about an hour talking with board members I'd never otherwise meet and checking out the their bikes in a cool shady spot. I told Ann about those plans and she seemed pleased that some 1150R guys would want to take what has to be a long ride just to say hello, swap stories and have a couple Pepsi's (- - maybe even do Dinner). Ann and I have lived together over 17 years so it's not like the hour spent at 6PM with any 50R guys will be interrupting our Honeymoon. She would enjoy the company (I think).

Sept 18th is a long way off, but the travel agent said it'd be a 2pm Sunday Vegas landing on America West Airlines and staying 3 nites at the MGM Grand. My Older brother John and his wife Irene are traveling with us - - prolly just to make sure I don't hesitate any longer (Ha--Ha).

The town in Georgia hasn't been chosen yet. My younger brother lives in Buford GA. We're looking near there, also somewhere North of Atlanta, with low taxes, and more trees than people. The "when" of our move is hopefully prior to snowfall this year.

Vann, Yes, I see us riding on a regular basis. Group rides will be great with all those mountain roads so close by.
`09 F800ST

darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Congrats Robbie, on the marriage, early retirement and relocation. Way cool on all counts...it's about time she made an "honest man" of you!
Although I'm 36 years ahead of you on the marriage thing, I'm 1 1/2 years behind you on retirement and relocation, but we're on track and looking forward to it.
Good luck on the new adventure(s)!
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Thank you, rider of Darth in Texas, and all the other Arizona well wishers. I didn't realize there were so many Arizona Beaksters'.

I just quick checked the Los Angeles to Vegas trip - - - it's about 5 hours. I'd do that to meet SandOut/StandUp/OutSpoken guys like Darthrider, PatRhyes or DJDownUnder. From Pat's house in Stockton, CA it's over 10 hrs to Vegas. That's quite a ride and because it is asking so much of the West Coast group, basically amounts to bad news.
The good news is that I let Ann read my post and all these replies above . . . . . she was giggling, she was surprised, she was impressed, she said we can spend the whole evening catching up, swapping stories and liked the idea of a group dinner, as long as she can go too. Lesson learned: Wives will do and agree to almost anything if you take them out to dinner.
So, Sunday evening is not so much about us getting married (THAT happens Monday) as it is about another (possible) R1150R group meeting - - but one where there may be many hours of dull, hot interstate riding before/afterward.
Is a group dinner Sept 18th in Vegas worth a 5---10 hour trip and possible overnite?
`09 F800ST