General RR Wrenching advice

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie Wrenching an R

Go for it!!!
88%
Dude, you're going to bust your bike!!!
12%

Total votes: 33

bikerdudeQC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

General RR Wrenching advice

Post by bikerdudeQC »

I've never done much wrenching in my life. So far it's been pretty well limited to changing wheels, batteries, oil & filter, and taking the tank of our bike (which I managed without nicking any O rings!!!).

As many of you will (I hope) understand, I like less and less taking the bike in for maintenance since I would much rather care for my bike myself. As I get closer to the end of my warranty period, another reason for me not to do my own work dissapears.

My question is, is the task of doing all the maintenance on our RRs so complex and sensitive that a reasonably intelligent and patient but inexperienced person can't manage it without risking damage to the bike?

I also have no tools appart from the socket wrench that I bot to change the oil and filter and what's in the tool kit. I know that I will need a torque wrench (been doing it by feel so far), some feeler gauges, a twinmax, some nipples for bleeding the lines. Is there anything else that I really need?

Thanks for your input

Justin
baltm604
Lifer

re: do it yourself

Post by baltm604 »

take a look here for some real good guidance: http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

95% of the maint is very doable. To me it is still worth it to take it to the dealer once a year to have the codes checked and just have an experienced eye make sure the bike is safe.

when it comes to tune-up, fluids, and tire changes, do it yourself.

Bill
Paper
Lifer

Post by Paper »

Edited, and moved on...
Last edited by Paper on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikerdudeQC
Basic User

Post by bikerdudeQC »

Thanks guys, now I'm just wondering who voted no!

Cheers,

Justin
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

What better bike to gain your confidence in your abilities, than a bike whose cylinders are sticking right out there in the open? It's all about your own level of comfort. Once you get over that initial feeling of being intimidated by the unknown, you can do most anything.

I did some of my own wrenching, and I left the some of the other stuff to guys who do it on a regular basis. I saved myself some money, and I established a report with my local dealership. By the way, I did a good job of adjusting my valves, and I did a bad job.... it can go both way. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. Damnn but you feel GOOD, after interacting with your own bike. Try it, you just might like it.
Member #31
bikerdudeQC
Basic User

Post by bikerdudeQC »

Curious, for those of you who do their own work what do you do and what do you leave to the pros?
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

I just voted NO

Post by CycleRob »

A Newbie working on his own bike? I just voted NO. If you insist on doing it yourself I do have some good advice that I hope you'll take. The first 1 or 2 times you do a 3 zone oil change or tune-up I recommend you do it as a student of someone somewhat experienced in working on MotorCycles. Even something as easy as changing the rear gear oil (zone 3) can cause $eriou$ damage if you allow a few dirt grains in the fill opening or insufficiently tighten the drain bolt.

I know that not giving a couple hundred dollars to a dealer is the motivation (and reward) for doing it yourself, but there is no substitute for skill, knowledge and experience when the mission is to make things perfect and do no harm. There is an excellent 37 page .PDF file of spoon feeding instructions available here:
http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/OVADv2.1.pdf
You can print it out to help prevent you from making costly/stupid/serious Newbie mistakes.
Again, Don't go it alone the first few times.

{Why aren't "Links" working?)
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Wayno28
Lifer

Post by Wayno28 »

Id say if you have to ask that you should start out simple
and progress slowly leaving things you dont fully
understand to the pros

Just my .02

Wayne
Wayne #375
Ride Safe
DL650
DR650
bad n ruin
Lifer

Post by bad n ruin »

you'll need more tools than you now have to be sure, but don't hesitate taking on this new challenge. There's more than enough help, right here on this site,if you get stuck or are unsure - all you have to do is ask.

It's about an easy a bike to work on as there is - it would be a good candidate for a tech-school type project for motorcycle tune-up/repair. The mechanicals are accessible for the most part but so is the wealth of knowledge here. As others have said here, the machine will be much less mysterious after you get your hands dirty but you need to be patient - and don't be timid about asking for help - there are many here capable and willing. Jump in!
Ride to work, work to ride
Kevin50r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Kevin50r »

Give it a go and see how you feel. If it doesn't work out you can always pay to have your mistakes :cry: fixed. Or you can fix them yourself and be that much ahead next time. It helps if you have someone more experienced to consult with at first, and later if problems pop up.

A good reason to be a member of this board, by the way. Good luck.

Kevin
Member #363

2005 DL-650
2013 XT-1200Z
Kevin
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Pay attention to what Cyclerob said
Dean-O
Member #33
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

I have to go along with what Cyclerob and Dean-O said.
For a newbie with essentially no tools, the rewards are low and the risks are high.
Just as the old saying goes, "A fast rider on a slow motorcycle will always outrun a slow rider on a fast motorcycle", an experienced wrench with limited tools will do better work than an inexperienced wrench with a full tool box.
But a newbie with very limited tools is a dangerous combo.
Talk to the community colleges near you and see if they offer a motorcycle maintenance course, or even level 1 of a motorcycle tech course. HUGE headstart.
And/or, as suggested, hang with some experienced amateurs who do their own work and learn.
Then you will know better which tools to buy and how to use them. Start with some knowledge before you buy a bunch of tools, unless you just want a nice tool collection. When the time comes, get recomendations for tools from this board, but as always, use your own judgement in evaluating what you read!
Clymer has a new service manual now that includes the 50R...not the best manual I've ever seen but pretty good. Buy one...use it.
Start with very simple tasks, use your new torque wrench, go slow, think, move up when ready. Learn to use & rely on 1/4" drive sockets for most fasteners. Nothing larger than 3/8" drive for larger fasteners. Always use the smallest tool that will do the job. They generally provide the best "feel" and let you use a light touch.
Don't be mislead by some over-anal types who would have you doing daily, nth degree rocker arm end play adjustments and over-done valve clearance & throttle body massaging. Cover the basics, do them well, go ride. Repeat. These are tough bikes and do not really need a lot of maintenance. But DON'T neglect them either.
If you just must become an "Anal Alice" on this stuff, get some knowledge, experience and tools first.
But it's always better to just go riding.
Fast & safe!
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
bikerdudeQC
Basic User

Post by bikerdudeQC »

Thanks very much for all the advice. I hadn't thought of the community college option - might be something interesting. Too bad my local dealer doesn't do maintainance training sessions as some others do.

Cheers,

Justin
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Justin -
Whatever you do don't give up on this.
Hey, it ain't brain surgery and it can be a lot of fun and very rewarding.
And save a few $$$!
Just go at it smart & slow...ask good questions, listen to the answers.
Sounds like you're pretty typical on what you've done to your bike...that tank is no fun!
Let us know.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...