Reasons for selling my BMW R1100R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Arbee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Reasons for selling my BMW R1100R

Post by Arbee »

BMW R1100R issues that i had in 9 months of ownership... now sold.

1. Complete rear brake hose failure (4 foot spray) due to ABS applying
brakes at all times, boiling brake fluid and spilling on frame also wearing
disks prematurely

2. Complete front hose brake failure (fluid goes onto to hot exhaust.. lovely) looks like the bike is on fire... also failure due to ABS applying pressure at all times.

3. Speedo failed when i replaced the cable nothing happened, the worm gear stripped in the hub due to friction in the spinning cable

4. Complete headlight failure late at night whilst interstate( held thumb on high beam momentary make switch as normal high beam also failed)

5. Random grabbing of front brake calipers when hot...OK if not used ??

6. Clutch switch went open circuit and could only start bike when in hard neutral... with the light on, not recommended stalling at traffic lights with trucks approaching.

7. Rear LH indicator fell loose

8. Fuel leaking one drop per 10 seconds whilst in Broken Hill (great)
meaning stripping bike in a gravel carpark to replace rubber breather
hose inside fuel tank which includes a full removal of fuel pump.

9. Hall Effect Sensor failed when i picked it up (day one)

10. Normal headlight switch went permanently U/S.

Thoroughly enjoyed riding the bike and it is a very capable performer in most aspects,
i just got sick of fixing it all the time...

And if i am allowed to say this here without being moderated... i will be heading back to the Japanese Big 4
as i was totally spoilt by Yamaha my 1982 XS400 was and still is unstoppable, i still get funny looks when riding it
though.

The current Kawasaki Green VN900 has my attention at the moment, brand new for $11490 AUD
cone
Basic User

Re: Reasons for selling my BMW R1100R

Post by cone »

It is frustrating when things go wrong but perhaps your bike was built on a Friday. Regarding the fuel leak, the hose connectors received a lot of correspondence on this site and the items you had problems with should have been sorted out by the by the agents. I must say the Kawa that you refer to seems like good value for money but it will never be a BMW.
don't think about the meaning of life, think about the next ride
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I would be done with your bike as well after all the failures listed. I would not drop the BMW brand as a whole. Many great models out there. You got a bad luck one for sure. Can't happen again. ;)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Wow Arbee - what a run of bad luck. You sure got a lemon. I know folks that have ridden 200,000 miles on one BMW and not had 1/4 the trouble with the bike.

Good luck with the next one, whatever it is. No reason to leave us, though! :)
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
allanj255
Basic User

Post by allanj255 »

It's a changing global market Arbee. There are parts on BMW's that were made in China and to a price. Plastic fuel disconnects for gods sake! I own a 1150 R which I have had from new but I have to work hard in preserving the finish. They are just not as good as they used to be and in my opinion although I love my bike it was very expensive for what I got for my money and penny for penny most japanese bikes are better equipped and finished.
Allan
2003 R1150R Twin Spark, (Black - the fastest colour)
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Hopefully you got SOME money for your bike. That's alot of problems. I was looking at Honda and Kawasaki when I found the 1150 I have now. I'm sure I would have been happy with any of the bikes I was looking at but I am so glad I got the beemer. I have only loved the bike more and more as I ride.
Good luck to you and hopefully you will enjoy your next ride more.
Buckster '03R
Capt. Blackadder
Basic User

Post by Capt. Blackadder »

cone wrote:It is frustrating when things go wrong but perhaps your bike was built on a Friday.
More like the last day of Oktoberfest. Damn, that's disappointing... but best of luck with your next bike.
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS
Robert_winter_1000
Lifer
Donating Member #: 195

Post by Robert_winter_1000 »

Arbee, I don’t know that much about the R1100R but really you should try the R1150R. They are great reliable bikes.
Robert
Lifer
# 195
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Arbee,
An R1100R has to be at least 7 years old when you got it. If the bike's former owner lived on the (salty air) seashore and gave it little maintenance, it could easily have all the problems you had. If your bike has a lot of "fuzzy/powdery" Aluminum on it, then that's what caused most of your problems.

It's nightmares like those that confirm why, since 1970, I will NEVER by any used vehicle.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Robert_winter_1000
Lifer
Donating Member #: 195

Post by Robert_winter_1000 »

CycleRob wrote:Arbee, It's nightmares like those that confirm why, since 1970, I will NEVER by any used vehicle.

Completely agree.
Lifer
# 195
mad1150
Basic User
Donating Member #: 522

Post by mad1150 »

I completely agree as well, however, my 04 R is an exception to the rule.

But, I did buy it at a BMW dealer, it only had one previous owner, the salesman reviewed the service records with me prior to the purchase, and all service was done at the same dealer except for one oil change, which the salesman even pointed out to me.

But again, as a rule, I hate buying anything used. Some people do very well buying used, but I'm not one of them, so I generally stick with new and a warranty.
Mark - Member 522

04 R1150R (Silver)