Lurker no more.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

IBN
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Lurker no more.

Post by IBN »

Greetings all!
I have been one of those hopeless lurkers for far too long, so I've taken the plunge and joined your merry band.
Haven't been riding for too long - maybe 5 years and the whole thing might have a "mid life crisis" smell about it. Never mind, I've embraced the whole business and the bike is essentially my main mode of transport these days.
Started off with a Hyosung 250 Comet (solid, good value bike), went to a MG 750 Breva (bitter disappointment), graduated to a R1150R (now that's MUCH better) and have now settled on an R1200R (damn those test rides!).
The R1200R is a great bike and is quite an improvement over the R1150R. I've added a few "farkles" - Nippy Norman Hugger, Remus can and Givi top box. As time goes on, I'm sure that a few more "essentials" will need to be aquired, especially if plans come to fruition and some touring might become possible.
Anyway, thanks for letting me impose on your time here. Hopefully I'll also be able to contribute something worthwhile here in the future.
Cheers from the one you might see wobbling down the highway,
Ivars :D
NCGS
Basic User

Post by NCGS »

Welcome aboard, mate!.. I think you'll find your R1200R the best bike you ever imagined.

Ride safe, and often,
Caol
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 574

Post by Caol »

Hello Ivars!

I mostly lurk around here too! Lots of stuff to learn from a bunch of fun and knowledgeable folks!

Although I've been really riding since 1983 (licensed since '71), I don't have that many miles under my belt and am only on my 3rd highway machine ('73 R75/5, '87 K75T and now the '07 R1200R).

I think I did the R1200R as the "mid life crisis" too! :D
But I figure, since that puts my mid-life at 52, I should be good until I'm 104!!!! :shock:

Hmm.... may need electric jacket by then!

Welcome to the forums!

Kyle

Edit:

P.S.: Being as you are in the "Summer in January" part of the world, it's up to you folks to keeps us snowbound types from going totally off the deep end until spring!

K
2007 R1200R black w/pinstripes
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Caol,
Don't encourage them (the Downunders) it's bad enough that they walk around upside down and are in constant risk of falling off. :roll:
If encouraged, they start spouting off about riding in the 80 degree sunshine and going to the beach in Febuary. :x
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

Congratulations!

Yes, those test rides are addicitve! :twisted:
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
Caol
Double Lifer

Post by Caol »

Yeah, but that way I can daydream of the 'good ol' days' when WARDAIR (long since defunct) used to run air charters using split configuration 747's (cargo/pax) to get you and your ride down-under for 4, 6 or 8 week trips.

heavy sigh.......

3 months to go.......

And, it'll be our turn to keep them sane when their weather turns less than wonderful.

Kyle
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

M u s t n o t d o t e s t r i d e................... :lol: I rode Chitown's, and I must say a big improvement over my R1150R. Now I am on an K1200LT. I like the plush ride. But, I still yearn for the R1200R! :roll:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Another Test Ride Victim !

Welcome to the group; you are going to have a whole lot of fun on that machine.

Oh...

Get a LARGE supply of aspirin. It makes the permagrin cramps on your face much easier to handle !

Doug
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

mogu83 wrote:Caol,
Don't encourage them (the Downunders) it's bad enough that they walk around upside down and are in constant risk of falling off. :roll:
If encouraged, they start spouting off about riding in the 80 degree sunshine and going to the beach in Febuary. :x

Uhhh..... what is unusual about that??? South Louisiana has no "Riding Season". Could someone please explain that term to us poor Cajuns? :shock:

We do, however, have some unusual road hazards common to our Aussie brothers and sisters: Alligators !
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
Caol
Double Lifer

Post by Caol »

ka5ysy wrote:
mogu83 wrote:Caol,

Uhhh..... what is unusual about that??? South Louisiana has no "Riding Season". Could someone please explain that term to us poor Cajuns? :shock:

We do, however, have some unusual road hazards common to our Aussie brothers and sisters: Alligators !

Uh huh... Another place heard from with "climate" instead of "weather". Sheesh. But that's OK, I retire in 2010, so starting that October expect another "snowbird" camping in your back yard! :D

Then you can come camp in my back yard when things get a tad warm. I'll be in south eastern B.C. by then. (lots of twisty roads!)

Alligators? Are those, those logs in the road that have feet? :shock:

Kyle
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I am in Chicago, low of 5 this weekend. :evil: :lol:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
IBN
Basic User

Post by IBN »

Thanks for your best wishes.
Commiserations to you northern hemisphere folk wrapped in the darkness of winter.
Mind you, when it's over 40degC/105degF outside :oops: , your boots are awash with sweat and your eyeballs feel as though their shrivelling, dreams of ending up headfirst in a snowdrift have a certain appeal.
Was the MFD / bike computer with temp indicators a good idea? Often ignorance can be bliss.
Ivars
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

IBN wrote:Thanks for your best wishes.
Commiserations to you northern hemisphere folk wrapped in the darkness of winter.
Mind you, when it's over 40degC/105degF outside :oops: , your boots are awash with sweat and your eyeballs feel as though their shrivelling, dreams of ending up headfirst in a snowdrift have a certain appeal.
Was the MFD / bike computer with temp indicators a good idea? Often ignorance can be bliss.
Ivars
IHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOU! :twisted:
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Caol wrote:
Alligators? Are those, those logs in the road that have feet? :shock:

Kyle
Yep! More importantly, however, are the teeth, tail and bad attitude.

We also have to sometime dodge 40 pound rats called "nutria", also with attitudes. (It's a Cajun thing!)
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
Caol
Double Lifer

Post by Caol »

ka5ysy wrote:
Yep! More importantly, however, are the teeth, tail and bad attitude.

We also have to sometime dodge 40 pound rats called "nutria", also with attitudes. (It's a Cajun thing!)
Hmmm..... critters "with attitudes (It's a Cajun thing!)" Does that include Cajuns?

Our 40 pound "rats" are either racoons, porkupines or beavers! Most of them don't have much "attitude", but then neither are they likely to go out of their way to get out of your way! :lol:
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Nice thread, whish I had time to add something but I'm exhausted from a a day in the sun at the local beach. Cheers.
Motorcycle+passion/ego=fleeting survival