finally got a center stand...

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

darth_rockster
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

finally got a center stand...

Post by darth_rockster »

after 3 years i finally got a center stand. now i can clean the left side of the bike :lol:

Just wondering if anyone has noticed these

when unlocked and on the center stand the front end always seems to go to full left lock. Even If I turn it all the way right it likes to go left by itself. I have a stock front end, no risers or anything like that.

Also my front wheel is like and inch off the ground and my rear has some weight on it but not that much... i can lift it... Does this sound normal?

Thanks for any tips guys,
DR
2004 BMW R1150R Rockster - Edition 80 - #110
RUSOR80!
\\Mike_Lea//
Basic User

Post by \\Mike_Lea// »

Can't answer your query, but I'd be interested to know if you fitted the center stand yourself? If so, was it an easy job?

I've thought about a center side too, esp. for longer term storage and as you say cleaning.

M :)
Shine on you crazy diamond
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Mine will swing one way or the other..ussually the left ( the front wheel that is.. :wink: )

I find that with a full tank of fuel the front wheel touches down...and when low on fuel the rear wheel touches.

Sometimes it just seems to hover there with both wheels off the ground....nice one BMW.

Now you can check your oil level the normal way.. :D

DJ
duke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 568

Post by duke »

Full lock left, front 1 inch off the ground, not fuel dependant.

DJ - you have "Native" R1150R (as opposed to darth and any other Rockster) ... and your observation maybe 100% Roadster biased.

We will need more opinions on this to get a pattern.

P.S. Washing the rims is soooo easy with centre stand.

P.P.S. The more knowledgeable can confirm or deny if it burns less oil if left parked on centre stand as opposed to side stand.
Last edited by duke on Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

Another Ed 80 here.

My bike also goes "full lock left" when on the centerstand. :roll: :smt102

P
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

you asked:

mine usually hangs to the left, sometimes right.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Check the wire ties on the left and right cable bundles. Too tight, which leads to wiring breaks eventually, can also pull the tree around.

Also, North of the equator it will lean left but what about south of the equator? DJ's does not count!
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
tourer
Basic User

Post by tourer »

Mine does exactly as yours, it's normal
2004 Edition 80 #149 Rockster & I Love ABS!
Honda Ace Tourer 1100
2, Honda Ranchers 4X4
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Depends on how I zip up. :lol:

(I kill myself.)
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
darth_rockster
Basic User

Post by darth_rockster »

\Mike_Lea// wrote:Can't answer your query, but I'd be interested to know if you fitted the center stand yourself? If so, was it an easy job?
Hi Mike. Yeah I did it myself... It didn't seem too bad..

What I did was ordered all the parts on the parts fische over at maxbmwmotorcycles.com. I left out the bracket that the sidestand attaches too which was 107 bucks. The dealer had included that during an estimate once and I was psyched to find I already had that piece when i started comparing part numbers to the sidestand diagram. :P
I accidently ordered the fillister bolts and respective washers... seems i had all of those already too...could save another 6 or 7 bucks on those...
Also accidently orderd the piece the spring attaches too on the right side doh that was 12 bucks! Will try to return these items.

So I had to remove some bolt type bushings spacers for lack of a better name that the bmw I-don't-have-a-centerstand Lift hooks onto... I was a little concerned about loosening up things near the sidestand so I put the bike in a front wheel chock I got from powerstands.com. attached tie downs to the front fork. The chock is allright but it needs to be bolted down in my opinion... was a little wobbly! Someone mentioned they installed there centerstand without any type of lift or stand but since i had it I put it to use.

Installed the center stand and spacers, bolts with orings and the bmw sidestand/centerstand pivot grease... blue loctite didn't have 243 so used permatex 242 blue. torqued to 21nm...

Getting those springs on was a pain, seen a pick of someone stretching it and sticking pennies in between the coils but I finally decided to use the hook end of an auto brake spring tool and it was much easer...
Last edited by darth_rockster on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSOR80!
darth_rockster
Basic User

Post by darth_rockster »

Ooh I liked the gas idea i didn't think of that but Full tank of gas and it's still on the back wheel. I do have a few degrees of an uphill in the garage from what I can tell with a cheap level but not really noticable. Sounds like it's normal...

The reason I ask about the left lock is because on some HD bikes I believe there was a test you did for the front fork bearings preload. At full right lock the fork should go left right left 3 times ending up near the middle...or something like that... probably with no cables attached... soemtimes you could get away with just lostening zip ties... so I thought i'd try it on the rockster and mine just seems to slam to the left once I let go :roll: I must have something that needs a little adjusting to check out....
RUSOR80!
Ves
Basic User

Re: finally got a center stand...

Post by Ves »

darth_rockster wrote:...
when unlocked and on the center stand the front end always seems to go to full left lock. Even If I turn it all the way right it likes to go left by itself. I have a stock front end, no risers or anything like that....
DR
Yeah, mine does this to. Not sure I like it, cause it is related to the wires/lines/cables. The only time it doesn't do it is when I leave my wires and cables completely loose, but that's not realistic.
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
Lobo1625
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 611

Post by Lobo1625 »

I must say my Roadster does exhibits the same characteristics as every bike mentioned here. Full tank it sits on the front wheel, usually though it sits on the back. The wheel always goes to the left, but can stay to the right if i move it over there. My bike will also, sometimes, balance perfectly on the center stand. Must be the superior workmanship in the Black bikes.... :)
thenewcamus
Basic User

Post by thenewcamus »

another one dressed to the left and an inch off the ground here :wink:
Josh
-------------
2004 Rockster Citrus Green
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

Yes. Same here. Whenever I want to take a photo of UBU (my Rockster), I have to hunt around for a suitable size stone to wedge under the front wheel so that she stands nicely with the wheels aligned!

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Poor obs the lot of you!!!

Has no-one noticed that the larger (and thus heavier) of the two lights is on the left????

;)

My bike sits with both wheels "just" touching the ground if the floor is absolutely level. Mind you - I DO have a GS length paralever arm on it. ;) (pulls the rear wheel down by nearly 2" )
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
duke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 568

Post by duke »

Just a thought ...

One reason why Rocksters mostly sit on the rear tyre and are not affected by the full/empty tank syndrome:

Probably due to the fact that they carry wider rear rim and wider rear tyre ... that theoretically should be heavier enough to tip the bike backwards.

Just do not ask me for scientific proof.
adg44
Basic User

Post by adg44 »

All the bikes didn't come with a center stand? :?:

I don't like that the leg sits between the foot peg and the shifter lever...

I was almost considering taking mine off.
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

It's a bit extreme having your leg taken off isn't it?

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
darth_rockster
Basic User

Post by darth_rockster »

adg44 wrote:All the bikes didn't come with a center stand? :?:

I don't like that the leg sits between the foot peg and the shifter lever...

I was almost considering taking mine off.

I don't think the edition 80 came with center stand. Coming from a sportster... I wasn't smart enough to talke the dealer into including it :oops:

I thought the that lever was going to be a problem riding but I don't notice it... The only problem I have is trying to get my Kalahari boots in there without scratching anthing... they have that metal tipped toe that I'm thinking of removing now!
RUSOR80!