Extended Warranty Should I or Shouldn't I?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Poll ended at Tue May 24, 2005 2:25 pm

Yes, buy it!
65%
No way, they aren't worth it!
35%

Total votes: 17

1150rTodd
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by 1150rTodd »

The warranty will cost me around $700. I have one month left on my MFG warranty. 21,000 miles on my 2002 R1150R. I will get two more years or warranty out of it. Think I should do it?
MikeC

Extended Warranty

Post by MikeC »

Todd,

My wife requested that I buy the extended warranty when I bought my 2002 R in March. I don't think she would have been as supportive (of the purchase) without it--but I don't think I would have bought the warranty on my own. On the other hand, it was under $1100 for 4 years, which seems to be a pretty good deal, as far as these go, and the original warranty would expire the first week I owned the bike.

-MikeC
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

MikeC......

Do you maintain your bike?..... Ans. No

Are you mechanically inclined?...... Ans. No

Does the bike have ABS?.......Ans. Yes

Do you plan to keep the bike for the next two years?...... Ans. Yes

If your answers to the questions above agree with what is shown.....by alll means buy the warranty. If not ,you don't need it......although if something goes wrong with the ABS you are looking at mucho dinero.....on the good side there haven't been many problems reported.

Good luck........... :roll: :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
MikeC

Good Answer!

Post by MikeC »

Thanks Boxermania. I didn't ask the question, but my answers to yours are:

1. Yes, mostly.
2. Reasonably.
3. No ABS (it was used--I would have preferred ABS, and would have paid for it).
4. Yes. I hope to keep it for many years.

If I had talked to you before I bought the bike, I probably would have sprung for the warranty. As luck would have it, my wife insisted that I get it, so I got it.

It's really Todd who asked. So I'm sure that he'll answer your questions, thereby answering his own.

Thanks to you both,
-Mike
peterbulgar
Basic User

Extended Warranty

Post by peterbulgar »

I've done most of the work on all my previous bikes, but I went with the extended warranty on my '04 and I'm glad that I did. Anything that happens to the fuel injection or ABS will pay for the warranty, and there have been enough reports on this list and others about catastrophic input shaft failures (isolated and rare according to BMW - maybe so) and rear end problems that makes the warranty look like a good deal. If I have no major problems for the next six years (which will probably be the case) then I'll just chalk up the cost of the warranty to providing me with peace of mind for an extra four years. Worth it to me.
peter '73 R75/5 (out of warranty), '04 R1150RA (under warranty through 2010)
1150rTodd
Basic User

Post by 1150rTodd »

Do you maintain your bike?..... Ans. Yes

Are you mechanically inclined?...... Ans. Somewhat. I've been known to cause more problems than I fix though. :oops:

Does the bike have ABS?.......Ans. Yes it does

Do you plan to keep the bike for the next two years?...... Ans. Yes I do.

I am going to go ahead and pay for it. The peace of mind should be more than worth it IMO.