Hard Cold Start

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Hard Cold Start

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Finally cooled off here in the Phoenix area !! :D
First cold start is getting difficult .
I tried adjusting the 'choke ' cable, to no avail .
Can't seem to find the procedure on this site .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Re: Hard Cold Start

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Looks like I found my problem with hard starting .
Heard an odd noise from the right cylinder, a loud ticking sound like a valve out of adjustment .
Found the cable pulley on the right throttle body bouncing around .
Looks like I have throttle body overhaul to do .
Parts are available from the Bing Agency in the US .

http://bingcarburetor.com/throttlebodies.html
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've never yet had to rebuild one. 100K on my last R with no issues like that, 60K on my current '05. I guess if I keep on riding it's bound to come. Let us know how it went.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Finally got my required parts, a few were not in stock and the Postal Service took a little over two weeks to deliver it to me .
All in all not a difficult job, there's the usual grinding down the throttle plate screws, these came out quickly, I was not looking forward to this, I'ce taken apart about 14 CV carbs from airhead bikes and had a 30% failure rate in getting the screws out.
There is a thin stainless cap that goes over the throttle shaft on the opposite side from where the cable goes on, a bit of a job get it removed, you destroy it removing it .
Getting the bushings out of the throttle body left me wondering how to get them out
You can't push them through into the air steam area, you need to pull them out.
Finally came up with a plan, I threaded the bushing with a tap, got a bolt and some large area washers and managed to quickly remove them
There is a snap ring on the end of the shaft, not a standard clip, I did not have anything proper to get it off everything I had was way too large.
Tried installing the new clip, but damaged it.
Found a 300 count snap ring assortment at Harbor Freight for $4, my snap ring pliers worked on a replacement from this assortment.
Installing the metal cap, wasn't going well, so I put the throttle body in the freezer for a few hours and then used a heat gun to heat the cap to 500 F, slid on with no problems .
With all the learning to do this, it was about 5 hours a bit of a steep learning curve, but having the proper tools and processes, next time I could do this in about 2 hours or so .
I did the right throttle body, so I don't know how much the throttle position sensor on the left throttle body would complicate things .

http://bingcarburetor.com/throttlebodies.html
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

Got the throttle body installed today .
Runs great hard starting issue is gone and the throttle shaft doesn't wobble around with the engine running .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Congratulations! I like the idea of the freezer and heat gun. One day I'll probably be trying to remember all this. I'm wondering what's the common cause for the need to rebuild? Is it the rider who flogs the bike with quick and often rolling the throttle? I guess I've done my share but as I get older I'm a bit more relaxed with the throttle. Although I think no matter the age the quick and hard acceleration sure gives a thrill.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint