Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

kmjune117
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

Post by kmjune117 »

I am Kevin...I have an 02 r1150r with current spline issues that I intend on making into a winter project. I am 27 and have been riding for 4 years. I have been checking out the site for a couple months...came across it when I was searching the net for info on a rear drive seal. Anyways, I live outside of Flint, Michigan and work as a Firefighter/ Paramedic. Love the site and the great info. I can't get enough of the "Great Rides" topic index and the photos.
Glad to introduce myself
Kevin
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Welcome!

How many miles on your bike when the splines went?
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
kmjune117
Basic User

Post by kmjune117 »

It sits in my garage with 70,363.
orojk
Basic User

Post by orojk »

Hi,

I am Oleg. I was born in Russia 41 years ago, but last 11 years I live in Canada. I am a control systems engineer.

I have a black '03 roadster (12k mile service is due next spring) and enjoy it immensely.

I've never ever ridden a bike, not even thought of having one up until three years ago, when a friend of mine (who has never ridden a bike either) started talking how nice it would be to get a dual-sport bike and visit places where he grew up. I guess I've got a bug and ended up buying a bike before he did. It was KLR-650 my first bike. I still have it and like it.

After two years of enjoying KLR and a broken foot (on a dirt bike in Sierras in California) I realized that I have to postpone my trips to Alaska, Patagonia, RTW etc. 'till my kids (boys, 2 and 4) grow up, so I became a weekend warrior.

Since I've got my roadster I started feeling that a week before rides is too long, so I started commuting to work. Now I come to work with bad hair (my Arai makes me a sort of Mohawk hairdo) but with big smile.

I like fiddling with my bikes, even though I would not call me an expert. I can do simple procedures following good instructions.

I think this site is great. I find technical advice very useful. I also enjoy visiting Pat's Playhouse and following the discussions there.

I think you are a great crowd, thank you all!
KLR-650
R1150R
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Welcome.. There's only three ways to cure midlife crisis... fast cars, fast girls, or fast bikes... you have chosen wisely... :lol:
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
aciemme
Basic User

Post by aciemme »

Hi everyone !
I'm Andrew an italian motobiker
In a few days, i'll be back in BMW with a r1200r.
Since two years ago I was a Rockster owner, the perfect bike for me

See ya.
Lamps!
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Congrats and welcome!
Member #1
germanrockster
Basic User

a german Rocksterdriver arrived

Post by germanrockster »

Hello!

My name is Sven and I come from germany.
I find this board by chance and it looks very good, gratulation!

Sorry, my english is not so good. At last time I write english at school before 30 years.

I am an Adminstrator from the german Rockster-Forum.
It is not so big like this one, but we also have more than 430 members.
The members come from germany, austria, switzerland, Southafrika and so on.
The members from the Rockster-Forum have met several times. We had a lot of fun with each other.

I would be glad to be allowed to greet you once in the http://www.rockster-forum.de
I have asked Doug to be a partner from this site!

greetings from germany to the USA
Greeting from Sven
(Sorry for my bad english!)

Ves
Basic User

Re: a german Rocksterdriver arrived

Post by Ves »

germanrockster wrote:Hello!

My name is Sven and I come from germany.
I find this board by chance and it looks very good, gratulation!

Sorry, my english is not so good. At last time I write english at school before 30 years.

I am an Adminstrator from the german Rockster-Forum.
It is not so big like this one, but we also have more than 430 members.
The members come from germany, austria, switzerland, Southafrika and so on.
The members from the Rockster-Forum have met several times. We had a lot of fun with each other.

I would be glad to be allowed to greet you once in the http://www.rockster-forum.de
I have asked Doug to be a partner from this site!

greetings from germany to the USA
Welcome... heck, your English is better than some of the people who live here in the US... :D :D
Leonor
Basic User

Post by Leonor »

Hi everyone,

I'm Leonor and driving motorcycle for 5 years now. I just bought a r1150r from 2003 one week ago. Enjoying it ever since!!! :D
live and work in the Netherlands and go on holidays by bike through Europe.

Good to find a large forum with r1150r enthousiasts!
takemeaway
Lifer
Donating Member #: 765

Post by takemeaway »

Hi! My name is Lori and I ride an 07 R12R. I've had the bike for about 7 months and still can't get the grin off my face. I ran across the forum while searching for tire information.

Went through a pre-midlife crisis last year and came up with the hair brained idea to take my MSF classes. I've never really ridden so the idea came a little out of the blue. My husband was thoroughly excited since that meant he was going to be able to get a motorcycle again after 20 years of not riding.

My first bike was a Suzuki Boulevard S50. Not a bad bike, and one that I felt would take a little abuse as I learned. Once I decided that I really didn't like the bike the search was on for my upgrade. :badgrin: In comes the R12R...found the 07 private party. The owner had done a good job breaking it in to 9500 miles. And I have already added 4K...through winter! Now that the warmer weather is coming I can't get riding out of my mind. Bring on SPRING!!

Husband and I are looking forward to long-distance and overnight trips. Only thing holding us back are our aging dogs. I am seriously planning some week long trips and am chomping at the bit to do some cross-country riding. Anyone interested? :D

-Lori
mjcraft
Lifer
Donating Member #: 661

Post by mjcraft »

Welcome to the forum!

Hmm, maybe in a few years my wife will also have a pre-midlife crisis and get a bike...

But for now, I'm just happy to be holding onto mine!

-Michael..
romany
Basic User

Post by romany »

Am I in danger? Possible reason #1: I don't even own a BMW, I'm just hoping to in the future. (Am I in danger of getting kicked off this board?) Reason #2: I'll be 60 this year, am pretty much a noobie, and am riding around on a 2000 Hayabusa. Don't even ask how I ended up with this thing. My name is Dan and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Have been happily married for 35 years and have two grown sons. I am a retired building inspector and I love to go riding, but my wife doesn't. She always says, "I don't feel like dying today." My version of ATGATT is gloves, jacket, and a beat up helmet missing the cheek pads. So, am I in danger? (This stuff is expensive!)

There are some great ride reports on here, and I really like the MC discussions. I need a trip. Maybe after the knee swelling goes down... Anyway, hello to all.
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

romany wrote:Am I in danger? Reason #2: I... am pretty much a noobie, and am riding around on a 2000 Hayabusa. My version of ATGATT is gloves, jacket, and a beat up helmet missing the cheek pads. So, am I in danger? (This stuff is expensive!)
Let's see here. Hayabusa. Noobie. Helmet missing parts.
Gear is expensive. That is true, but that is also subjective. It seems somewhat inexpensive once it's needed.
Someone else here on the site has a "signature phrase" that goes something like,
"ATGATT because it's better to walk away in disgust than to be driven away in an ambulance."
When on a bike, the rider assumes a greater degree of risk than most others on the road must accept. Mind you, the rider takes on this degree of risk whether or not he/she is aware of it. Each level of protection that you provide to yourself means that you are taking on a little less risk. Thus, each piece of gear confers a lower level of risk (of serious injury) than riding without the gear.
At the very least, get yourself a new helmet - one that fits properly, make sure your gloves fit properly and provide adequate protection, and wear boots. That's the very least that I'd recommend.
One last consideration - many insurance companies cover gear. Check out your policy. If it does, then should you need the gear and it gets damaged, the company reimburses you and you can replace the gear. So, you're sort of only paying for it once (just be sure to keep receipts).
You asked, and that's my two cents worth.
Member #725
romany
Basic User

Post by romany »

Thanks DMM
Your advice is undoubtedly worth MUCH more than .02!
procrastinator
Basic User
Donating Member #: 713

Post by procrastinator »

Hello, all. My name is Shane. Been lurking for a while, first time posting. Great info and great people on this forum! I have a black '04 beakster. I love this machine. Have added cases, Garmin 550, sargent seat, and changed grips. I am just starting to venture into performing more maintenance than oil changes. Going to take the tank off for the first time next weekend to replace the battery (pc680) and repair the kinks in the wiring harness. 8-[ .
dav
Lifer
Donating Member #: 798

Post by dav »

g'day guys & gals, thought i'll drop in & say "hi"....will be buying a R1200R within a few months, ive wanted one for a few yrs now & thought if not now, when........always been a fan of the boxer engine, if i had my way i'll have one sitting on the living room table ;) .....Anyway g'day to all :D ...

cheers
2009 R1200R
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
bucky katt
Basic User

Post by bucky katt »

i thought i'd pop in and introduce myself. i have been riding for 20+ years, during the 90's i rode triumphs and a couple of nortons, i got out of riding for a few years then back in 2005 i got my first japanese bike, my 1974 honda cb750k. later that year i went off to AMI and got my certification on BMW's i went to work at a BMW/Triumph/Victory dealer in New England and worked there for the fall/winter of 2005/2006. after getting let go for the winter slowdown i came back here to south carolina and started working on airheads and some of the older k bikes in my home shop. i got my neck badly broken in 2007 and now i work on a few friends motorcycles as well as my own. i just finished an 18 month long restore/modifiying session on my cb750 and i'm starting on my suzuki titan next. i recently realized i want something heavier, more powerful and more comfortable for longer rides and trips (i cant do 1000 mile days on a bike with rearsets and clipons anymore). i fell in love with the bmw twin and the rockster in particular and i decided to get one for myself finally. i'm searching for one now. oh, and my name is Jeff. i have 6 kids but theyre all 4 legged, hairy and from 6 to 18 pounds.
Last edited by bucky katt on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fat people are harder to kidnap

1972 suzuki titan
1974 honda cb750k cafe racer
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people don't do what's right, they do what's most convenient and then repent
2015 Honda PCX150
mildmanneredengineer
Basic User

Post by mildmanneredengineer »

Hey, I've been lurking here for a while, but decided I should introduce myself. I'm the guy who bought TAL2GK's R1100R on Ebay. I'm very happy to have a new bike after not riding for about 10 years. Previously I owned a Honda CB900, but always lusted after BMW boxers, so it was an easy choice when I decided to start riding again.

My wife and I have been enjoying the last bit of nice weather here in New Jersey riding two-up around some of the local back roads in Essex, Union and Morris counties. I hope to make some longer trips next year when the weather turns nice again.

Cheers,

-Doug