Motorcycles for MPG?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

How may are now commuting by bike because of the recent spike in fuel prices?

I'm using the bike more, to save gas
67%
I still use the car to commute
33%

Total votes: 39

ArjanH
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

What Andy says...

Post by ArjanH »

What does a liter of fuel cost in the US?

Over here it's 1.30 euros a liter (cheapest, 95 RON). A euro is about 1.30 USD if I remember correctly. That is 1.69 USD/liter.

Quite expensive. Riding my bike is by far more expensive by km compared to my car. It needs more maintenance (every 10,000 km compared to 50,000 km for my car), uses more tires, oil etc..

Nevertheless I use my bike for commuting when I feel like it. But when I do, I have a hard time not taking the afternoon off looking at my bike on the parking lot :D
vintagecycle
Basic User

US

Post by vintagecycle »

Prices in Northern California are around $2.60 a gallon now....for regular. Premium is around $3.00!
:x
MrEddy
Basic User

Post by MrEddy »

Nah. don't ride to work very often. I use the train. I like to go out for a beer or two after work reasonably often (ie 3 days a week or more) and I never drink and ride, so most days the bike stays home. It's more of a weekend toy. Besides, I find the whole work clothes vs bike gear thing a pain in the arse.
Paul
2003 BMW Rockster Ed. 80
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I am provided with a pickup truck by my employer, so I drive it to work. :D

I wish I could ride on occasion, but the payload on the bike is a little limited. And I also spend most of the day on the phone.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
rph802
Lifer

love to ride in..

Post by rph802 »

I love the ride in. Something just makes my whole day brighter by taking the bike. Between seasonal affective disorder (not officially diagnosed but definitley notice a difference in the winter) and bike withdrawal. This last winter was miserable because of it!!

Yeah, I dont ride for the mileage tho the difference is significant.

The ride home is usually even more therapeutic than the ride in. Working in the retail field is on its good days aggravating. That ride home can be upwards of 40 minutes and its effect on my mood by the time I would get home is amazing!!!
hillbilly biker

Hi test gas (91) is $2.17 a gallon in Portland, TN.....

Post by hillbilly biker »

and about the same in KY which has low gas taxes :D
Alannc
Basic User

Didn't Cover it all

Post by Alannc »

I STILL commute to work on the R. I do it for my mind not my wallet. I mean how else can you have fun going to work. Well I do have a 100 mile round trip each day.
Alan
02 Black R1150R
51 BSA D1
55 BSA D3
67 BSA A65L
76 Triumph TR6
78 Triumph T140E