R1150R SQUEAKY BRAKES???

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

kantuckid
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

R1150R SQUEAKY BRAKES???

Post by kantuckid »

I just got in from first ride-1250k-on 2003(3000K) non-abs bike. What say you riders on the brakes being noisy in front-they work great, just noisy! What about pulling the pads and putting some noise reduction goop on them? Is this associated with the OEM pad?
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

I think that the squeal is is a common complaint with the R front brakes. My '03 has been noisy from the day I picked her up, except under a hard stop. Since the squealing doesn't really do anything but annoy, I decided to just put this in the fairly large BMW category of "they all do that".
I'm sure if you seach the archives, you'll find some suggested cures.
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I am not sure there is a cure. My Yamaha did the same thing.
Buckster '03R
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Blow or rinse the dust out of the calipers and wipe down the rotors, it'll stop for a while until they get dirty again.
Rich
ADIOS!
DK
Basic User

Post by DK »

My front brakes always made noise just before I came to a complete stop. It was that slow speed at the end that would cause it. Last summer I put new tires on and had the front pads off; after I reinstalled the pads, the noise stopped :?: I don't know what happened, but they've been quiet ever since.

DK
'04 R1150R Black
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

Mine used to squeal. It wasn't until I read this that I remembered it stopped all by itself...
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
jm1515
Triple Lifer

Re: R1150R SQUEAKY BRAKES???

Post by jm1515 »

kantuckid wrote:I just got in from first ride-1250k-on 2003(3000K) non-abs bike. What say you riders on the brakes being noisy in front-they work great, just noisy! What about pulling the pads and putting some noise reduction goop on them? Is this associated with the OEM pad?
Mine were real bad...to the point of being embarrassing.

When I changed tires at ~11500mi, I pulled the calipers and gave everything a good cleaning w/ BrakeKleen.
Lubed the back & sides of the pads very lightly, the retaining pin, and the bottom of the metal retainer where it contacted the top of the pads. I used synth caliper grease you can find at any auto parts store.
I also used an emory cloth and GENTLY cleaned the rotors...
That was 6500mi ago and my brakes have been real quiet since....
:P
j magda
TripleLifer Member 454
04 Black (the Classiest Color) R1150R
Deep in the OH wasteland...