Model Year Location

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

triggerfish
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Model Year Location

Post by triggerfish »

Hi everyone!
I'm obviously new here. I've tried the search engine for my query but couldn't find an answer. Can anyone tell me where on the r 1150 r I can find the year it was manufactured (model year)? The seller says it's a 2002 model and I just want to make sure it is.

Thanks a lot for the help.
paroyboy
Basic User

Post by paroyboy »

This will give you the build date:

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

To tell the actual model year, look at the tenth digit of the VIN. That will be the model year
paroyboy
Basic User

Post by paroyboy »

Few more details I found:

1st character -- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1 or 4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character -- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A), BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B), Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character -- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters -- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character -- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character -- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T), 1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character -- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters -- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

there is a placard on the frame in front of the tank on the riders right hand side. will tell month/year of manufacture.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

there is a placard on the frame in front of the tank on the riders right hand side. will tell month/year of manufacture.
Correct. But this metal plate is missing on some bikes. I noticed this at the last Hungry Mother get-together we had.
deptom
Basic User

Post by deptom »

iowabeakster wrote:there is a placard on the frame in front of the tank on the riders right hand side. will tell month/year of manufacture.
Hi Triggerfish and welcome to this great site! I dont post much but just by lurking the threads you will surely learn alot about this fantastic piece of machinery.

As for this plate, my bike has it and it says: 0202. So I'm assuming it was manufactured Feb 2002.
It aint over til it's over!
Sit
Basic User

Post by Sit »

Go ahead and use the VIN code to verify the year or the placard to get the year of the bike. While you are bent down there though, grab the title if the guy has it or the registration card and verify e v e r y digit of the VIN on the frame. If a digit is wrong, you want him to take care of it before you buy it! Call me what you will, but better safe than sorry.
paroyboy
Basic User

Post by paroyboy »

iowabeakster wrote:there is a placard on the frame in front of the tank on the riders right hand side. will tell month/year of manufacture.
If BMW is anything like Harley is....we start building the new model year in June/July so a build date of August 2006 is actually a 2007 model. I dont know why, I just cash the paycheck!
beemer-biker
Basic User

Re: Model Year Location

Post by beemer-biker »

triggerfish wrote:Hi everyone!
I'm obviously new here. I've tried the search engine for my query but couldn't find an answer. Can anyone tell me where on the r 1150 r I can find the year it was manufactured (model year)? The seller says it's a 2002 model and I just want to make sure it is.

Thanks a lot for the help.
One other quick check. 2002 was the first year for 1150R (in the US). So, this means if it is an 1150R, it has to be 2002 or newer; prior years would be 1100R.
beemer-biker
Ride safe!!
'06 Aprilia Caponord
triggerfish
Basic User

Post by triggerfish »

Thanks for all the help guys. The 10th digit of the chassis number the seller sent me is 1, so I'm assuming it's an 01, which is the first production year of the 1150r. I'll see the actual bike next week and also check the plate in front. I hope the bike looks as good as it is in the picture. Cheers!