To tell her or not to tell her, that is the question

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you always tell your significant other when a riding "incident" occurs?

Poll ended at Thu May 05, 2005 12:31 am

Yes: Always tell her (we share everything about biking)
40%
No: Never tell her (don't want to "concern" her)
9%
Depends: Only tell her if I have to (went to the hospital or bike is obviously mangled)
40%
Depends: Only tell her if the incident is kinda scarie (but no serious injury)
12%
Depends: Only tell her if its a little thing ("my bike's rear end slipped out a bit today in a corner, honey")
No votes

Total votes: 43

Ed K
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

To tell her or not to tell her, that is the question

Post by Ed K »

Hey Guys. . .you might have read I was recenty rear-ended. . .but thank God I appear to be just bruised. Ouch!!

But let's have a little fun with this. . .

For those with significant others, a dilema arises in such a case when something like this occurs, but its not so bad that you end up in the hosital: Should I tell her about it, or not, when you still have the option not to say a thing about "The Incident"?

On the one hand, you want to be honest about it, on the other hand if you tell her, she may be upset, and might want to discourage or even prevent you from riding (Yikes!!!).

(If its of any interest, I will tell you what I did, after some responses come back from the poll.)

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Ed K
07 K1200S
Lifetime Member
scoschro

Post by scoschro »

I'd hope I heal before she sees the mangled bike!
saguaro777
Basic User

Post by saguaro777 »

After 23 yrs of marriage, I end up sharing the info whether I intend to or not. Just ends up coming out. Plus when Im buying parts, its a joint checking account and she's the accountant, she is going to know anyway.
Wayno28
Lifer

Post by Wayno28 »

I had a HD for 15 years and never went down then I decided I wanted
the neighbors !00 Shadow and that bike rode me more than I rode it.
I make the mistake of tell all and I had a Klr650 and traded it for
the R so she could ride w/me more comfortablely, but I told
her and now she wont ride w/me.
So I might would tell but I sure would make the stories less of a
big deal.
Wayne #375
Ride Safe
DL650
DR650
gelbe Kulter
Lifer

Post by gelbe Kulter »

I have nowhere to hide a mangled bike. In my last "incident" I totalled the bike, shredded all my gear except gloves and helmet, and, along with some suit rash, got a broken ankle.
Kinda hard to hide that. :wink:

From the track I always call home at the end of each day so she won't worry. I figure that makes it easier to go back to the track. In races, I have crashed twice without injury.

Once I had to call and say I would be late, because a fellow rider had crashed and died. No point in trying to keep that hidden, either.
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

I watched a buddy of mine go too hot into a corner (on his Harley Classic)..... with his wife-to-be on the back. He touched down somewhere on the bottom of the bike, and touched down a second time to get the pig to go around the bend. He made it fine...... and she was none the wiser.

You don't volunteer -almosts- to your loved ones ("a miss is as good as a mile...."
But it would be a problem for which one should seek help, if one might conveniently choose to omit a major truth from the events of the day....
On the other hand if one's vocation is inherently dangerous, it might be in both your best interests not to speak daily of the "almosts."

Hmmmm, but would that be right?
For the sake of NOT worrying a loved one, some have license to secret away "almosts", and others don't?
Damn, not as simple as I initially thought.
Last edited by Pat on Sun May 01, 2005 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member #31
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

Here is how it would have happened back when I was married:

I come in the door.
She says, "What happened!?"

Lying was never an option. I never got the chance.

mac
Ed K
Lifer

Post by Ed K »

Well guys. . .interesting poll results. . .

If anyone is interested what I did. . .the answer is YES, I did tell her, but I waited until she got home from work (even though I spoke to her earlier in the day on another issue). Did not want to disrupt her day, while she was at work.

Since it was the Dealer's bike, and I walked away, I did have the unusual option of being in something pretty serious, and saying nothing. . .but I was glad I told her (especially since I am still having some pain).

Also, in general I would probably fall into this category below, where I would only discuss it if it is something pretty serious, and of "interest." Not because of holding anything back, just because its not significant enough to mention.

"Depends: Only tell her if I have to (went to the hospital or bike is obviously mangled)"

Interesting to see how many told their "sig other" everything. . .wonder if these sig others are also bikers???? Comments from you guys. . .
Ed K
07 K1200S
Lifetime Member