Your favorite jacket and gloves?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

NHighCotton
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by NHighCotton »

Got an old Bates leather jacket that I love like an old dog that never dies.
2003 R1150R (SOLD 8/07)
(9/07) 05 FJR1300
1986 R80RT
1974 R90s antique (on the road again)
mcollect
Lifer

Post by mcollect »

I'll go along with the Olympia AST great in hot weather and rain haven't tried it yey in the cold. Pants in the summer Draggin Jeans but for long trips leather or the Olympia, if it's not too hot, Olympia pants are way too hot. Still haven't found a truly great pair but will probably bite the bullet and try the Held, nothing but great reviews.
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
wsmac1150r
Basic User

Post by wsmac1150r »

Just got the Held (Steve) gloves in...they are awesome! However, there is a little rubber strip that sticks out of the left index finger...on the seam between tan leather and the black. I see the same thing on the Held web site so I am wondering what this is for???
I ride, therefore I am.

** 2002 R1150R **
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

That is your windshield wiper!
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

so I am wondering what this is for???
What Brian said! Except I would add, I would not buy a pair of gloves without the faceshield wiper! I don't mind riding in the rain as long as I can see and anti-fog for the inside and a wiper for the outside are essential!

The Steves offer good protection without the racer boy look also! I love mine.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Brownw3
Basic User

Post by Brownw3 »

I have a BMW Savvana jacket. I destroyed one in a crash without it destroying me, so I got another one (they were both on sale, though.) I also have a Joe Rocket Santa Fe for the really hot days.

My favorite gloves are my Pittard's touring gloves. I just like em.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

BMW Pro Race gloves have been great this summer and are very comfortable. I got them at a good discount in the BMW dealer one day sale last autumn.
Only getting slightly chilly now that ambient is dropping below 10C , 50F, first thing. The heated grips running for a few minutes sort that.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
NCPadgett
Basic User

Post by NCPadgett »

I am seeing nothing but good reviews on the Held Steve gloves, but being on the NC coast we have that nasty humidty which makes me wonder - are these more warm weather or cool weather gloves? They look thick enough to be too hot in the summer. Any thoughts?
Padgett -
2004 Midnight Black R1150R
frozennorth
Lifer
Donating Member #: 506

Post by frozennorth »

I'll throw in my 2 pennies. Joe Rocket Alter Ego. Has a liner for rain that zips into the jacket, has removable panels on the breast and back that exposes mesh for hot days. Has armour in case you decide you don't like asphalt. :wink: . . . mine held up when I crashed my GS :(

On this last trip we rode in 34F to 100F and I did all of it with one jacket and a heated vest.

Gloves?? Well, for most of the year, unless it's really cold, I've got a throw away set of black leather work gloves that cost $25.
Red 02, R1150R
Member # 506
I am an empty hospital!
vintagecycle
Basic User

Post by vintagecycle »

I like First Gear stuff, I have two of their jackets, Mesh, and the other is kind of an all-season jacket (I forget the name, it's the one I'm wearing in my avatar<<<). Great jackets for the money. However, my favorite jacket is my Johnson Leather's leather jacket, it's custom tailored to me, and has the classic look and protection of leather. Paid about 300 beans for it. Of course it's a bit hot for summer riding though.
Dan

'04 R1150R (Silver) Sold
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'81 Yamaha YZ125
wsmac1150r
Basic User

Post by wsmac1150r »

NCPadgett wrote:I am seeing nothing but good reviews on the Held Steve gloves, but being on the NC coast we have that humidty which makes me wonder - are these more warm weather or cool weather gloves? They look thick enough to be too hot in the summer. Any thoughts?
Just returned from an all-day trip - sunny, 85-88 degrees - and never felt the gloves (Held-Steve) were too hot...never had any moisture on my hands...they are great. We stopped several times so I had them off an and on all day. And remember, with a bike there's plenty of air flow over them.

Also (I saw this somewhere), I tried out a pair of Champion "dry" boxer briefs - 50% Polyester, 50% Nylon - MUCH better than cotton...I'd say a necessity for a long ride.
I ride, therefore I am.

** 2002 R1150R **
NCPadgett
Basic User

Post by NCPadgett »

Thanks Mac. When I was overseas in the desert I was turned on, or in, to Under Armor. They make boxers that wick moister away like the ones you are describing (and the added bonus of feeling silky so you always have a smile on your face) :lol:
Padgett -
2004 Midnight Black R1150R
dano

Post by dano »

how are the Held gloves sized? #s, or L, M, etc....? Thinking about getting a pair of 'steve's
life is what happens to us when we're busy making plans
lifetime member #470
wsmac1150r
Basic User

Post by wsmac1150r »

Here is one web site that you can use.

http://www.walkabout.com/shop/size_glove.asp

I measured across, not around - 4 1/8 inches. So I ordered the 9 1/2 which Held also calls a L+ They fit perfectly.
I ride, therefore I am.

** 2002 R1150R **
dano

Post by dano »

Thanks alot for the reply!
dan
life is what happens to us when we're busy making plans
lifetime member #470