Rattling sound under hard throttle

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

vinman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Rattling sound under hard throttle

Post by vinman »

Hey guys and gals,

I need some help on possible causes of a rattling sound I have heard a couple times now when quickly opening the throttle (while rolling already). The bike is perfectly normal when riding at an average pace. But in the last week there were two instances where i went from about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle to almost wide open and I heard a rattling sound, almost sounded like a bell ringing. It only lasted a couple seconds. There's nothing loose on the bike, teh bike rides fine, and one of the times it happened I didn't have the saddle bags mounted. So that eliminates bags or anything in the bags. Any ideas? I'm supposed to bring my bike in to the dealer tomorrow to get fault codes checked, throttle bodies synch'd, and real drive seal replaced.
"Be a man and face the fire. Make something ugly into something beautiful." Unknown taxi driver.
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

Your bike is pinging. Give it a higher-octane fuel. If you are already using premium, stay over 4000 RPM in hard accelerations.
Carlos D.
gerrywide
Basic User

Post by gerrywide »

Sounds like PING to me ... use higher octane fuel or maybe add a little octane booster to your next tank of gas and try it out. :D
Gerry R1100RT/P
NHighCotton
Basic User

Post by NHighCotton »

I've heard this same thing on mine and it's not pinging.

It does sound like a bell ringing. I've noticed it after I removed the muffler and installed a short tailpipe (big bags both sides), I hear it in 5th and 6th only, at a not yet determined RPM.

Beats me, I was thinking it's maybe from the cat?
2003 R1150R (SOLD 8/07)
(9/07) 05 FJR1300
1986 R80RT
1974 R90s antique (on the road again)
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

NHighCotton wrote:I've heard this same thing on mine and it's not pinging.

It does sound like a bell ringing. I've noticed it after I removed the muffler and installed a short tailpipe (big bags both sides), I hear it in 5th and 6th only, at a not yet determined RPM.

Beats me, I was thinking it's maybe from the cat?
I have the same problem, almost sounds if though somthing is loose. Doesn't sound like pinging at all, at least in my case it doesn't.
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
vinman
Basic User

Post by vinman »

Its not the cat, I replaced it with a staintune collector box last June. I put on 12,000 miles since swapping the cat for the collector box. I've only heard the ringing sound a couple times so far in the past couple of weeks. Maybe it is pinging. Maybe I should try a different gas station? I've been using Exxon 93 octane. I;ve always used premium fuel.

I can't remember if I was below 4,000 rpm or not.
"Be a man and face the fire. Make something ugly into something beautiful." Unknown taxi driver.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

vinman

If the sound was noticed on either 5th or 6th gear the sound is definitely pinging as you are "lugging the engine" drop down to 2nd or 3rd gear and proceed to do the test again and see if you hear the noise.

Your bike might have also built up some carbon....do you normally run the bike into the "happy zone" 6,500 to 7,500 rpm?. These motor's being aircooled and lazy (lots of torque) tend to build up carbon if not cleared every so often.....so go out there and run her to redline on the lower gears a few times and everything will be allright. These bikes run better when you run the peass out of them.........

Make sure the oil level is OK...... 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

boxermania wrote:... "happy zone" 6,500 to 7,500 rpm?...
That is rather high don't you think? Might clear carbon buildup but at what cost?
Capt. Blackadder
Basic User

Post by Capt. Blackadder »

dwayne wrote:
That is rather high don't you think? Might clear carbon buildup, but at what cost?
Fifty cents worth of gasoline? :smt047
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS
rpd1
Basic User

What Boxermania said

Post by rpd1 »

Mine does the same from time to time. Just spend some time in the upper rpm's and it will fix itself.

Ryan
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

Capt. Blackadder wrote:
dwayne wrote:
That is rather high don't you think? Might clear carbon buildup, but at what cost?
Fifty cents worth of gasoline? :smt047
True, but of the engine I think running that high in the RPM range would be bad for the motor. Sure you can do it, but how short will the life span of the motor be? Everyone likes to say their bike is the best built, that the motor was made for that, but I am no engineer...well mechanical, but I do believe that running the machine at that kind of engine speed will certainly shorten its life.
Rootin55

Post by Rootin55 »

I think he means to run it up to redline (bump the rev limiter) through a few gears on occassion, not to cruise at 6-7K RPM's miles on end. They need to be blown out periodically.
"In silence man can most readily preserve his integrity"

Meister Eckhart
disonny
Basic User

Post by disonny »

Mine did this too, and it sounds to me like pinging. I asked the dealer about it and he told me if the valves are out of adjustment it could make that noise too. Try adjusting the valves and see what happens. I know mine was better after I adjusted them.
bearsfolks
Lifer

Post by bearsfolks »

Mine has always done this "rattle" thing too, full throttle at about 4,000rpm. I can't buy the "carboned up" argument because of the fuel injection and tendency to run lean, not rich. If there is any carbon build-up it must be from burned motor oil, not fuel. I used to worry about it, but the "cures" sounds worse than the problem.
Lifetime Member #220
A few beers does NOT make you a better rider.
NHighCotton
Basic User

Post by NHighCotton »

Being an Airhead rider I believe I know the difference between "pinging" and "ringing".
This is harmonic at 3500 rpm in 6th gear, and if someone thinks this too is lugging the motor, they're mistake about that also.
2003 R1150R (SOLD 8/07)
(9/07) 05 FJR1300
1986 R80RT
1974 R90s antique (on the road again)
vinman
Basic User

Post by vinman »

disonny wrote:Mine did this too, and it sounds to me like pinging. I asked the dealer about it and he told me if the valves are out of adjustment it could make that noise too. Try adjusting the valves and see what happens. I know mine was better after I adjusted them.
Hmm, I might try adjusting valves. I adjusted them 4 weeks ago and took my sweet time about it making sure I did it right. Maybe one came out of adjustment? The service rep at the dealer said to downshift. I wish I could remember what gear and rpm I was in at the time.

I haven't run up to the redline in a long while. Whether that has an benefit or not I don't know. But I like the idea! :twisted: So I'll give it a go.
vinman
Basic User

Post by vinman »

I picked my bike from the stealer today. They did a throttle body synch and fixed a rear drive seal leak.

While on the highway I opened teh throttle hard at about 3800 rpm - heard teh ringing sound. Then I did it again at about 4200 rpm - no ringing.