I Don't Like this Bike Anymore.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Post by yjleesvrr »

In audio systems, there is a phenomenon known as "listener fatigue." A stereo system that overly emphasizes one aspect of sonic presentation to where it sounds appealing at first gets tiring after a while. Such systems emphasize bass or treble, or has a very forward sound. After a couple hours, you don't want to listen anymore. With well-designed equipment however, the presentation of music is neutral. So while the system doesn't grab you at first, you find that you can listen with pleasure for many hours.

The R1150R is like that.

The bike isn't very fast, nor does it give you gobs of character at first. But as the miles wear on, the statelines blur, and you're approaching the point where you need the fourth gas fill of the day, you realize that the R is still fun to ride. That is what makes BMWs great, and the R bike in particular so special.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Mr. Lee - an excellant analogy!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
rock712
Lifer

Post by rock712 »

At least you have a garage where you can sit ogle and fondle (the motorcyle....) in private. I just have an open parking lot and my "neighbors" have finally grown accustom to see me sitting outside drinking a beer and talking to Heidi (YES I NAMED MY ROCKSTER!!!!) What scares them more is when friends show up with their motorcycles and sit outside and talke to theirs too.............
You think chicks dig guys who look like road-grimed astronauts and have interesting x-rays?
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Phil......

Thank God I don't have to answer to my cats. They given up looking for ANYTHING fascinating (while they sit at the kitchen door) about why I wrench, wax, adjust, wipe, take apart, readjust, sit on, gaze at, and otherwise polish an already shiny bike.

I too feel compelled to use something a little better than mere 'regular grade' petrol, I pay more for designer name lubricants, and old t-shirts no longer touch my bike's finish..... gotta be micro-fiber instead!

It's a sickness, I got it bad..... and it hurts sooo good!
Member #31
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people don't do what's right, they do what's most convenient and then repent
2015 Honda PCX150
madbinkster
Basic User

the last thing to go.....

Post by madbinkster »

all life's issues are heating up...long distance relationship is running out of steam (she won't even look at a bike), job is becoming iffy and absolutely no fun anymore, tenant disappeared from my rental property owing me 4 month's back rent, my 24 year old suddenly moves in for a "little down time" (going on 5 months now), my '97 318 TI has begun to shed (expensive) worn parts while approaching 200K, all the music I listen to bores me to tears, can't find any more of my favorite brand of pocket t-shirts, and last but not least, I just discovered this morning that I ran my best clip-on shades through a wash cycle.....of course they were discontinued over a year ago.

But then there's MY R.....need I say more? I didn't think so.
"Pull over Mike....we need to wait for the Harleys...they've got the food."
munchmeister
Basic User

Re: the last thing to go.....

Post by munchmeister »

madbinkster wrote:all life's issues are heating up...long distance relationship is running out of steam (she won't even look at a bike), job is becoming iffy and absolutely no fun anymore, tenant disappeared from my rental property owing me 4 month's back rent, my 24 year old suddenly moves in for a "little down time" (going on 5 months now), my '97 318 TI has begun to shed (expensive) worn parts while approaching 200K, all the music I listen to bores me to tears, can't find any more of my favorite brand of pocket t-shirts, and last but not least, I just discovered this morning that I ran my best clip-on shades through a wash cycle.....of course they were discontinued over a year ago.

But then there's MY R.....need I say more? I didn't think so.
Say no more. I feel for ya. Especially not being able to find the favorite t-shirt. That's tragic. :( Don't know what a 318 TI is but t-shirts, that's bad. I think the inventor of the cotton T should get the Nobel Peace Prize. Try http://www.duluthtrading.com. They've got some comfy clothes. :wink:

And, yeah. Like the rest of you, I get a pleasant feeling just lookin' at my bike and when I need rejuvination, I just hop on. Anywhere I go, is good. :D
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
'04 R1150R - R.I.P. 4/29/07
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

My house..
We're like the classic dysfunctional alcoholics... (The days of wine and roses;)

My husband and I both have it BAAAD.

What we say and what it means:

Let's read the Aerostich Catalog together?
(Can I pour you another one dear?) =CoDependent.

I washed your bike for you.
(I bought you some more Rose` at the store today) =Enableing behavior.

Let's squeeze in a ride on our Anniversary trip.
(I just need one to calm my nerves) =Denial

BAAD. We need a 12 step program.

'beeming
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!