GREEN SLIME FOR FLAT TIRES

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

chris
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by chris »

riceburner wrote:
the REALLY nasty stuff is the "Finnilec"
That's what I was thinking of, dealer told me if I used it he wouldn't touch the wheel. Just had a butchers at the actual thing and I withdraw my intial remarks on the grounds that they were ill informed boll***s! Won't be using any but if it lives up to it's claims it should be fine!
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

GeoffJ wrote:If you use Slime in a punctured tire, be sure to mention it to the dealer technician if you replace the tire. Otherwise, when the tire is deflated, Slime will blow all over the place, including the tech's face and clothes. It's quite messy during tire changes.
no it won't - that's Finnilec/Tyre Weld you're thinking of, completely different product.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

You're quite keen on this slime aren't you! :wink:
I might even give it a try. Have had a fair few punctures myself. Does it seal once you pull the offending nail/screw or whatever out?
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

My concern is when the bike has been sitting for a while the slime sits (and sets) at the bottom of the wheel in a big lump...and it's not till you get up to speed and it warms up that it starts to spread out around the tire...I would imagine that in cold weather it would take longer...and what does it do to tire wear while it's going around in a big lump.

I've had almost five years on my bike now...I had two flats in the first few weeks...and nothing since...for me punctures aren't common enough for me to conceder this.

DJ
collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

Now you've done it - just by SAYING that....
If you have good luck - touch wood. I've been stranded once (and that's once too many), and that's why the Ride On stuff lives in the tires. Maybe they've improved the Slime to the point where Riceburner says, but my initial experience with it was that it saved me, but it was messy when changing tires and didn't help the balance at all. With the ride on stuff, it doesn't settle after sitting a week or two, yet it still seals after months of riding.

http://www.ride-on.com/test_motorcycle.asp
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GeoffJ
Basic User

Post by GeoffJ »

Has anyone invested a product that seals tube type tires? Someone once told me Fix-a-Flat works, but I have my doubts.
'96 BMW R1100R
'05 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

GeoffJ wrote:Has anyone invested a product that seals tube type tires? Someone once told me Fix-a-Flat works, but I have my doubts.
Slime do a product that does that - its very different to the SUPER DUTY SLIME that goes in tubeless tyres.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

chris wrote:You're quite keen on this slime aren't you! :wink:
I might even give it a try. Have had a fair few punctures myself. Does it seal once you pull the offending nail/screw or whatever out?
Yup - first time I used it was because I had picked up a nail, bought the SLIME, put it in the tyre, re-inflated the tyre (you put the SLIME in through the valve body, after you've removed the valve core so you have to let all the air out first), span it up (on a paddock stand as it happened), stopped the wheel, pulled the nail - brief "splurt" of green goo then it sealed. Tyre lasted another 5K miles or so IIRC. :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

DJ Downunder wrote:My concern is when the bike has been sitting for a while the slime sits (and sets) at the bottom of the wheel in a big lump...and it's not till you get up to speed and it warms up that it starts to spread out around the tire...I would imagine that in cold weather it would take longer...and what does it do to tire wear while it's going around in a big lump.

I've had almost five years on my bike now...I had two flats in the first few weeks...and nothing since...for me punctures aren't common enough for me to conceder this.

DJ
i don't think this is really that much of a problem. Although the SLIME is pretty gloopy, it doesn't flow that easily once it's been spread around the inner of the tyre. In the time that the tyre has warmed up, the SLIME will have warmed up and re-spread itself, IF it's even pooled.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
acejones
Basic User

Post by acejones »

It seems the naysayers are going to look for every reason to be naysayers. I doubt they have any experience with this product.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

It seems the naysayers are going to look for every reason to be naysayers. I doubt they have any experience with this product.
:smt045 :smt045 :smt045 ...What about the weight...have you felt how heavy that stuff is...I thought unsprung weight was important.. :smt031 :smt031 :smt031

:smt021 :smt021 :smt021 ....and what about that color... :smt017 ...why don't they have other colors... :D :D :D... :smt064 :smt064 :smt064

DJ
acejones
Basic User

Post by acejones »

These bikes can handle a little additional weight; sprung or unsprung. This issue has been beat to death. The slime stuff works and that's about all there is to it.
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

I have now managed to collect three different products, may consider Ride-On too......

1) Slime sealant for inner tubes:
"WARNING NOT INTENDED FOR HIGH SPEED, OVER THE ROAD TIRES, OR FOR SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 75 mph / 120 kph"

2) Berryman Tire Sealer:
"Stops leaks before they happen"
"Completely Water Solubility"
"Contains Corrosion Inhibitor"

3) ThreeBond SEAL 'N' AIR
"For tubes & tubeless tires"
This one inflates your tire to "moderate" tire pressure, and the Suzuki salesman said some guy came in with a Gold Wing's front tire filled with it for 500 miles, and anther 1,000 miles to go. He bought another can and didn't bother replacing his tire......

The only thing I remember about the Ride-On when researching it, was that Slime had a much higher rate of satisfaction and success. That's the only reason I bought the Slime. I still haven't put anything into my tires, but I may actually put the Berryman in one inner tube and Slime in the other. The Bonneville doesn't go significantly faster than the advised against 75 mph, and the warm weather has arrived.... so I don't think it'll glob up on me.
But I keep putting it off....... 'cause I frequently DO push the Bonnie to 90 mph. I don't want balance problems at that speed. Scared if I do, scared if I don't.
Member #31
acejones
Basic User

Post by acejones »

Notice the slime instruction says: "Not intended for speeds over 75..."
It does NOT say imbalance WILL occur.
I would further suggest that if imbalance occurs you have probably put too much in the tire.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

If you go over 75...you get slimed... :D ...then who ya gonna call?... :lol:

http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/product_ ... 350&oh=200

DJ