Highest mileage check...r1150r or rocksters

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul Mihalka
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Paul Mihalka »

FM696969 wrote:you guys with 30k / 40k miles are just saying the mileage????

we want to know if you had any problems with the bike since new.
'02 R1150R. Purchased in Jan. 2005 with about 6K miles. Just turned 45K. At 20K miles the clutch slave cylinder/throwout bearing gave up, by luck on my commute to the BMW dealer where I work. At 30K miles, in the middle of cotton fields in eastern Arkansas on my way home form Utah the clutch splines failed. About $1.300 of Uhaul and gas got me home. With help of BMWNA (bike out of warranty) and my employers $1.300 got me a new clutch and new gearbox. No problems since then. I hope it stays that way.
You don't stop riding because you get old - you get old because you stop riding!
gelbe Kulter
Lifer

Post by gelbe Kulter »

OK - 42k miles and no problems to report. I just replaced the brake pads and shocks today. Other than that it has been gas, tires, oil and filters.
8)
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

Well, 54,000 miles on my '02 and no problems to report. I rarely use my rear brake, but I've replaced the rear pads and I'm still on the original front brake pads (and about 70% of those miles are back roads!). Gotta love that engine braking, I guess... I'll have owned this bike for five years in August, never kept any bike (in 38 years of riding) for that long or that many miles. I'm expecting to hit 60,000 by the end of August, which will be an average of 1,000 per month! We'll see...
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
Alannc
Basic User

Miles/Problems

Post by Alannc »

02 R, 49,000 miles

Rear drive seal, rear brakes, throttle bodies, front tire every 12,000 miles, rear every 6,000.

No plans to sell it, would buy the same thing anyway.

Alan
Alan
02 Black R1150R
51 BSA D1
55 BSA D3
67 BSA A65L
76 Triumph TR6
78 Triumph T140E
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

31 thousand miles on my 02 red, bought it new sight unseen in april of 01. I fell in lust with it the first time I saw a photo in a mag. I
had to buy from the closest dealer that is 70 miles away(nice people, just too far away). So needless to say I do all off my own repairs and maintainence. 1st season the lic light fell out of the fender.......easy fix, then the shift lever fell off in trafic...stuck in third......easy fix.2nd season was a set of tires installed a sport wind screen and rear brake pads. 3rd season was a set of tires , chase down a vibration noise that was the starter cover grommet missing(most likely lost when I fixed the shifter) and had the dealer replace the right grip because it was splitting(the only warrany repair). 4th season was a set of tires, front and rear pads, a new gel battery. 5th season was a set of tires. 6th and current season is a set of tires,heli coiled stripped valve cover bolt hole threads(and smashed to bits the craftsman micro torgue wrench for not clicking when it was supposed to) and during this hole thing I completed and documented all the prescribed services and maintences except that I r&r oil and filter every 3000 miles with bmw filter and mobil1 15w50 ..I average 6k miles a year so I service it at the start of each season and change the oil again mid season. I love this bike, I always wanted a bmw since I was a kid and on our 15th wedding anniversary my wife gave the ok to buy it. I don't think I could ever part with it.
ASK WHY
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Over 58,000 miles on a single sparker '02. Upon the close of the warranty, the starter had to be replaced..... that's about it.

I rode the hell outa that bike, spinning it up like it was an R1. Seafoam was added to the gas every 2,000 miles, oil changed at either 3,000/6,000/12,000 miles with a 25,000 interval once on Amsoil.

Tire life was traditionally 6,000 miles on Sport Touring compounds, Azaro's gave me the best mileage, Z4 & M1 the worst (but fun, Fun, FUN!).

Remus "race" Y-pipe, Super Trapp can...... made little difference if I ran with or without the "CCP".

Top speed indicated "131 mph" but the actual speed was 121 mph.

Shocks should be replaced ASAP if you fancy yourself a "spirited rider".

Bike looked (and ran) as good the day I sold it, as the day it was finally "run in" at about 12,000 to 18,000 miles.

I kept the oil at mid-window, but I believe it's characteristic of the engine to 'use' oil. I topped off semi-frequently. Gas mileage was 36 to 58 mpg, hovering at 40 to 42 mpg.

Put me down as a fan of my ABS, but it operated perfectly, gave me no problems, and displayed none of the characteristics some have complained about. Given what I know and have read about BMW's ABS, I would likely choose to avoid this current generation of ABS.

I loved that bike, right up to selling it a couple years ago. Now I ride an '05 Triumph Bonneville and have another one like it in the works (cafe'ed). Bonneville's (w/Triumph tax paid) put out 15 horses fewer to the rear wheel than the Roadster, and they eat up tires...... not to mention my fear of getting a flat (spoke wheels w/inner-tubes. Bought the Bonnie after brief ownership of a Triumph triple (best power-plant I've had the pleasure to run!) but that Sprint RS was gonna put me in jail or a trauma unit..... I sold it.

14,000 miles on the Bonnie since September '05
http://r1150r.smugmug.com/photos/68953382-L.jpg
Last edited by Pat on Thu May 11, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member #31
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

that is a nice ride Pat.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!