Any cops on this board

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

popgazer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by popgazer »

Thanks Bud for the info and the invite.
I have done some more reading about the prolaser III.
I don't have access to the manual or the specifications, but from the operations steps I infer that the laser gun emits not just 2 pulses but a series of pulses. The gun computes the speed based on consecutive measurements. When the computed speed stays stable within a given (reasonable) range, the gun emits a buzz indicating to the operator that an accurate/stable measurement is possible. The operator then presses the button to record the speed. If the buzz stops during this reading the data should be considered false.
Per the instructions, the whole operation should take about 3 sec.
budH wrote:Unfortunately, this will all be a moot point in the future when common use of newer speed measurement technology is adopted - such as http://www.its.washington.edu/pubs/Auto ... IV05-2.pdf :)
Ouch! That's gonna hurt with cameras. CCD cameras are very accurate (fast snapshots), and the processing of images is good enough to make pixel-to-pixel comparisons. The processing uses fuzy logic algorithms, which is already used to stabilize images even in some commercially available electronic cameras.
Nobody is sure perfect, but she practiced tirelessly !
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Ok, so where is the link to the clear spray that reflects cameras?

I heard it's a clear film, you spray it on your plates and traffic cams get a blank plate.

Is this just an urban legend?
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
popgazer
Basic User

Post by popgazer »

sjbmw wrote:Ok, so where is the link to the clear spray that reflects cameras?
Something like this. No idea if it really works.
http://phantomplate.com/
Nobody is sure perfect, but she practiced tirelessly !
budH
Basic User

Post by budH »

rdsmith3 wrote:budH

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I was wondering about something that I would like your opinion on. With the proliferation of EZ Pass electronic toll devices, do you think that states will ever use them to assess speeding fines? It would be pretty simple to calculate that a driver got on the NJ turnpike at 10:00 AM at interchange X and exited at 11:00 AM at interchange Y, so his average speed was 76 mph, which is 11 mph over the limit.
I guess, like most things, it depends upon how much more of our privacy and freedom we are willing to forfeit - whether we "allow" our elected politicians to pass this sort of law. At least a human police officer can use discretion - was there too much traffic to be going 10-over, etc. I want my EZpass to do one thing - pay tolls - that's it! I guess many motorists would surrender their EZpasses if they were used for speed enforcement. Can't say I'd blame them. I do believe we (the motoring public as a whole) have got to improve our driving or we could face more of this sort of "for the public good" laws. The US government says 43,200 people died and 2.68 million were injured on our highways in 2005, costing society $230.6...

Several years ago, someone remarked to my Troop Commander, in response to a fatal crash where several people were ejected from a pickup truck, "They need to outlaw riding in the back of pickups!" My Captain's response was along the lines of - we already have laws against driving while under the influence of alcohol; speeding; ignoring stop signs; leaving the scene of a crash; and underage consumption of alcohol. This driver broke all those laws. Would yet another law have prevented this? He and I both agreed that we sure do seem to love to give up our rights and freedoms.
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware