1150R highway pegs

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

KMACR
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

1150R highway pegs

Post by KMACR »

The 2004 1150R is my selected re-entry to the scene. I am 49, about 5’7 and new again to riding after the mid-life crisis prerequisite 20-year riding hiatus. I’ve been extremely pleased with this machine. I like the ergos for my stature and the slightly aggressive riding stance it puts you in though I’m much more touring-inclined than a speed demon. I’m also somewhat arthritic and have noted that after 100 miles in the saddle my knees tend to speak to me. Right now I occasionally prop a leg on top of the cylinder head for a brief respite. I don’t want to do lower foot pegs or add anything that permanently alters the bike’s looks so I intend to address the situation with the cylinder head foot pegs that fold out. I’ve seen these on a couple of different web sites and think that could be the solution for me. I just need the short breaks in position every hundred miles or so. Has anyone had any experience with this foot peg option? Is it sturdy enough? I’d like to ensure that this great cosmetic solution is going to measure up functionally.
KMACR
2004 Titan Silver R1150R Non-ABS
"Rubber side down is always a great idea..."
collyers
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by collyers »

At 6'3", I have issues with sitting in the same position for 400-500 miles at a time. I use the passenger pegs to stretch out & assume different postures to relieve "stress". There are some aftermarket pegs that mount to the valve covers that fold, and look quite nice.
these seem to be the best - "sparky" for your model

http://www.ccmotorcycles.com/
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I occasionally prop a leg on top of the cylinder head for a brief respite.
Just keep doin' that.. :D...

or maybe these....I'm not sure if they'll fit but that's the way I would go.

DJ
BMW R 1200 C Engine Guard Kit

The Cruiser Engine Guard Kit is among the most exciting accessories you can add to your R 1200 C. In the grand BMW tradition, form follows function. These engine guards perfectly mesh with the award winning styling of the R 1200 C.

BMW R 1200 C engine guards protect your valve covers and provide the perfect place to rest your feet when you’re on the highway!
KMACR
Basic User

Post by KMACR »

As much money as DJ's suggestion of "Just keep doing that" would save me I'm tempted but I'll likely skew towards Collyers' lead on the fold out pegs. I had seen them online before I knew I needed them. Then when I looked for them again I couldn't turn up the right ones in web searches. Collyers led me right to the ones I was trying to find. Thanks!

DJ, the engine guard option was pretty sweet but more modification than I was after.
KMACR
sugardoo
Basic User

Post by sugardoo »

rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/pr ... p?Item=ELF

Are these what you are looking for -- ELF pegs?
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
collyers
Basic User

Post by collyers »

Dayum! - DJ, those are beautiful!! Unfortunately, I bet they won't fit 2-spark or hex-head boxers.
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
bimrluvr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 429

Post by bimrluvr »

Am I the only one who takes a quick break by standing up on the pegs a few times?
#429 (in for life)
'06 Silver R1200RT
'04 Titan Silver R50R (3/05-9/10 was a good friend - RIP)
MidlifeMark
Double Lifer

Post by MidlifeMark »

Nope, I do that too. And if my wife is following me in the car, I usually give her a bump & grind while I'm at it. :lol:
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lifetime Member #84
1987 R80RT
1999 R1100RA
KMACR
Basic User

Post by KMACR »

So Bimrluvr. You're that guy.....:)

Actually, at least with me, with arthritic knees once the pain starts it's tough to rise in the saddle---the strain of executing that maneuver is focused on the knee in the course of that action. Straightening the leg on a forward peg is a much more pleasant respite. If the pain hasn't yet set in, then rising in the saddle for a bit can certainly help. I'm quite fit otherwise. The arthritis(rheumatoid) gives me good days and bad days. The bad days are the ones requiring the footpeg option for me because...not riding....isn't an option is it?
KMACR
solitario11
Basic User

$350 wowwwwwwww

Post by solitario11 »

God I am geting old and cheat, no way I am paying $350 for that! I cant see why they are not in the $150 range. Why dont they learn for HD, they might not know how to build bikes but they can sure sell acc. for them.
Rafael
R1150R k4
V-STAR 1100 k6
Valley Cottage NY
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

I would not pay that much for highway pegs, either, but it is not my money. Coincidentally, I saw this ad in the IBMWR market place
Elf Pegs R1100/1150 models
highway pegs fits all oilhead single spark models fold out of sight when not in use makes highway riding easier .
Price: $225.00 includes shipping (lower 48 )
Contact Jose Garcia at <[email protected]>
Telephone Cell 305/3032934
Posted Wednesday, December 28, 2005 at 17:54:39 (EST)
I know nothing about this. I have no connection with this person. Just FYI.
Last edited by rdsmith3 on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I could never use them because I like to lane split...it's bad enough trying to remember if the cases are on or not...but touch the side of a car with those and...sheesh...it would be like a can opener...my cylinders are wide enough without adding another 6" to each side.. :D

DJ
wncbmw
Lifer

knees

Post by wncbmw »

Didn't someone on the board cook their boots on the header while using the cylinder for a knee break?

I understand the need. I will be getting a slightly higher seat one day to help my knees. Meantime, I just let my foot dangle occationally to stretch. Only hit the pavement once in a while! :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
djwaudio
Basic User

1150R highway pegs

Post by djwaudio »

I'll sometimes sit on the passenger seat to stretch the legs out, but nothing beats standing up on the pegs if you're really feelin' the rickets!
Best regards,
Dana

R1100R 75th Anniversary
KMACR
Basic User

Post by KMACR »

Wow. Lots of thoughts. I'm 5'7" and with a vertically challenged inseam and arms only so long. If I were to sit on the passenger's seat I think someone else would have to steer :)

And I can just imagine cooking an ankle (or at least burning boot leather) on the exhaust header by just propping a leg on the cylinder head though I hadn't thought of that before. See what I mean about you guys being more experienced?

Anyway, I think for me the best solution is still the fold out cylinder head highway pegs, as pricey as they may be. I really like the fact that when they're not in use you don't know they're there. DJ, in your honor I'll be sure never to lane split---that stuff scares me anyway. The can opener scenario is a pretty effective mental reminder....yikes. Loved the spirited discussion.
KMACR
Photo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 217

Post by Photo »

As an ELF peg owner, I'll say I'm VERY pleased with their position, fit n' finish, and durability. They've survived a tipover directly onto the cylinder head, and did not bend or break. You can pull them back in by pushing them in with your boot heels, so lane splitting won't be a problem. I have a bit of a bum right leg, so they give me another option for resting my legs on a 500-mile-plus day. The bike rides like a Barcalounger since I put them on. I wear leather boots, so I hang my feet over the cylinders as well. Since my legs are only 29 1/2" long, I don't burn my boots or feet on the headers, ever.

Since PRICE is a big hurdle for the ELF pegs, you should wait for a used set to pop up on IBMWR.org, or look on Ebay. I bought my set for $175 and think they were worth every penny. FWIW, I don't know the any ELFs personally, and am not paid by elves to endorse this product...I just like my fold-out pegs a lot.
The EZ-board poster formerly known as "Photo82"
Rootin55

Post by Rootin55 »

My old knee's ache after a short while, when I had my R, I would throw my legs up on the jugs. Can't do that with thr RT. I find that I prefer to lay the back of my ankle area up on these RCU pegs vs using them like a peg with the bottoms of my feet. Allows me to fully stretch my legs out and breath a sigh of relief. Here are a couple of pics of them installed on the RT. Got them used for about half price. Also if you look in the FAQ section, jabrooks had a nice link thet shows them in addition to other things. Hope this helps.Image
[/img]Image
"In silence man can most readily preserve his integrity"

Meister Eckhart
KMACR
Basic User

Post by KMACR »

Hey Photo. I don't know, despite your disavowance of any elf connections I still have to wonder. Where were you on the night of December 24th anyway? :)

Good to hear your ELF peg testimonial. I had wondered if you could tap them back into their closed position on the move. Thanks for noting that. I'll be perusing the web for some ELF pegs like you've suggested. If something pops up in time I'll be ahead dollar-wise. I was going to give it until spring before acquiring the pegs and installing though with the weather in Oklahoma this year I'm easily finding adequate riding conditions here in the dead of winter so I could use them before then.

Rootin55 that is one beautiful RT. And the highway photo sums up why many of us ride. Looks like it was a fun day. Are the 1150R's in the background friends or family? A finer collection of machines I'm sure has never existed....
KMACR
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

KMACR wrote: I'll be perusing the web for some ELF pegs like you've suggested. If something pops up in time I'll be ahead dollar-wise.
Didn't you see the IBMWR ad I posted for used ELF pegs?
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74