My own private Blighty along the Delta

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Pat
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

My own private Blighty along the Delta

Post by Pat »

I struck out to join Rick & Mike on an annual "Lonely Boys" ride. We're single guys who have no commitments to in-laws, kids, or a loved one. Sad though it may be, we seem to deal with it quite well in a manly sorta way (at least on the surface).

So I stick my head-scarf on (I don't know how to spell baklava correctly), a half helmet, and my Blue Biker Spec's.... OFF TO THE RIVER ROAD I GO!

It was a balmy overcast kinda day, but with enough humidity to make for a comfortable ride without having to dress in layers (and layers...). As I putted along the river, still and quiet that it was, I suddenly felt rather..... British, riding my Triumph in the Blighty. It felt good being a Brit' for a day.

My first stop was an obligatory stop, "Al The Wop's" for a Bloody Mary. They had Bing Crosby singing Christmas stuff in the background, and I was their second customer. The first customer claimed to be a son of the original founder of the Hells Angels. He was a squat guy like me, and kept his enthusiasm in check while studying very closely my Triumph parked outside. He liked it.

After my drink, I set off again. The morning had grown a little darker, and there was now a drizzle. Lemme tell ya, that "drizzle" with an open face 'half-helmet' was rather punishing on my tender 51 year old face! But I soldiered on and began to convince myself that the drizzle HURT SOOOO GOOD, those little drops of water sharp as pins & needles!

Rick, Mike, and myself piled our helmets, jackets, and gloves in the corner of the Café and had breakfast. After Rick had finished off the cafe's milk drinking several cups of his coffee flavored white stuff, he started in on Mike's cigarettes (Rick's a cheap moocher). After breakfast we put our gear back on and took a quick ride to the Ryde Hotel (an old ((haunted)) "speak-easy") where I bought gift certificates for Sunday Brunch. That's all the Christmas shopping I had to do, it was now done....

The three of us spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out at the little Chinese camp/town of Locke. We watched bikers roll in, and roll out: gay looking glamor cruisers, Harleys that had "conspicuous consumption" tattooed all over them, an old Duo Glide, and a clean shovel-head w/"peanut tank".

We took another ride in the drizzle to "Fosters" in Rio Vista for a final drink. Fosters has the single largest private collection of mounted big-game heads on display. They've got it all, 95% of which was shot by the same gentleman.

We parted, saying our collective "It was cool Bro; see ya New Year's Eve at the same Café?" The 'Lonely Boys' ain't so lonely after all, we got our bikes, a place to ride, and our Bro's.

Merry Christmas fellow bike'n 'Brothers'!
Member #31
1MPH
Lifer

Post by 1MPH »

What happened to the reply to this post????
Did the poster delete it?
Did someone not like what it said?
Inquirering minds want to know.

Jack
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Whoa, that's weird.

I read that first reply too.....
said something about my story being a bit "haunting."
It might be this board, that's haunted.

:?
Member #31
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Sounds like a banned person trying to edge one in sideways...But the IP was recognized.

Or maybe the individual thought about it and decided to erase it. CAN we erase our own posts??
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

Fosters is worth a ride across the country to see.
It brings back some good memories...
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
Bud
Basic User

Post by Bud »

Pat,

Sounds like you guys had a great ride, know the area well. Sorry I only talked to you on the phone one day when I worked at the Lab in Livermore and never got to meet you in person. The ride summer before last where everyone was supposed to meet up at your house had to be cut short because of family committments, sorry we never got to hook up. I'm also guessing that your back is doing better.

If you ever get down to Arizona send me an email ahead of time. There are some great places to ride down here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year at ya!

Bud
Member #296
"Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx
toner87

Post by toner87 »

Guys, if no one's made a response to a post, the original poster CAN delete it. I don't think the poster was saying anything negative, he just found Pat's ride report "haunting"... Someone who couldn't relate to a bachelor ride around the holidays...
T.
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

Boxer wrote:Sounds like a banned person trying to edge one in sideways...But the IP was recognized.
I was entertained by Pat's post.

Until reading this.

Why do posts disappear?
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

If the post had something to do witih online gambling it may have been deleted. I didn't delete this post, but have several others. Nonsense replys to threads with links to gambling junk in the sig.

Or maybe the poster deleted it.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187