Serious stuttering in low gear and at low speed

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

Brassmonkey
Basic User

Serious stuttering in low gear and at low speed

Post by Brassmonkey »

Can anyone tell me if the 12 has solved the problem I have been told I have the latest mapping and do not doubt it but I do have a difficulty as I am finding it rather off putting in low gear and at low speeds chuching and surging, especially in slow city traffic , any tricks to overcome this problem all help most appreciated; :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
redbaron 1

Serious stuttering in low rpm

Post by redbaron 1 »

I purchased an after market airfilter (Blue) from Santa Cruz BMW which solved most of the low RPM stuttering. Filter at USD 90 however is rather expensive but as I said, in my case, it helped tremendously.
Red Baron
Brassmonkey
Basic User

Post by Brassmonkey »

Thanks for that redbaron 1 any other suggestions gratefully accepted :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Camfarm

Air Fuel Spark

Post by Camfarm »

I would suggest first insuring the air snorkle and filter are clean and clear. Then insure a good spark and connection of all pertinent wires. Finally, what gas or formulation do you have in your area: ethanol, something with odd additives, correct R+M/2 or other Octane measures?

Since your location isn't mine, I cannot be more helpful.

But my KR has no symptoms of any mapping problems. April 2005 Build date for North America; June set-up and delivery; Always 93 octane or better in mid-Atlantic formulation (outside metro areas).
Brassmonkey
Basic User

Post by Brassmonkey »

Only a little over 2k on the clock new bike and all mapping was to be updated at first service (a couple of weeks ago) but on checking it was the latest updates, they (the bike shop) have suggested it may be a fault in the breather section but as yet it cannot be taken in until next thursday week.
So the more I learn to what may be the problem the better informed I will be to get it sorted and not have to be fogged off easily.
camfarm

Surging Stuff

Post by camfarm »

Brass Monkey,

I hope your service department can sort this out and you'll be able to share some insights. My bikes have not exhibited any of these challenges that are widely reported.

Since these modern bikes have computer sensing of oxygen levels, closed loop/open loop stuff and adjust on the fly fuel injection, I am at a loss to pic ture the various possible sources of problems.

After user checks of air, spark, fuel (like the old days) I can't get further down the diagnostic road.

Best of luck and tell us what you find.
Brassmonkey
Basic User

Post by Brassmonkey »

They did say I had the latest mapping but there was a possible problem on the oxygen sensors in a batch of bikes but mine was not in the listings that had this problem but it really has to be sorted twice now moving away from lights it jerked mid turn at crossroads and also at roundabouts. Brilliant otherwise. :) :) :) :)