Your Last Perfect Ride

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Gord
Lifer

Your Last Perfect Ride

Post by Gord »

Today was one heck of a day for me. I have been riding for all of 16 months now. I did 6,907km in my first 7 months of riding. In 5 months of riding so far this year I have done 10,000km give or take. And today was my most memorable perfect ride.

What made the ride perfect? It certainly wasn't the route - just a usual circuit that I run around town when I want to get out for a ride. It wasn't an especially long ride - about an hour and a quarter. And it wasn't that the weather was any better than it usually is (it was a beautiful early autumn day here in Barrie, Ontario). What made the ride perfect was that for the first time in my 16 months of riding, I felt that all my technique was bang on.

I truly feel I had the best technical ride of my life today:

I accelerated aggressively, yet smoothly from every standing start.

There was no "lurching" or "chirping" during any shifting - just smooth transitions between gears.

I hit the apex of every corner I went through. Didn't let up on the throttle at all for hitting the corner too fast.

I leaned the bike more today than I ever have.

I read the road and avoided all sorts of gravel, potholes, bumps and irregularities in the road. Nary a peep out of the supension today.

I stopped exactly where I wanted to. Not over any stop line. Not short. Bang on.

I picked up and evaded some bad cage driving. Saw the old guy rolling out of the parking lot of the local strip club (who can drive by one without looking!!!) and I picked up the person I thought was going to change lanes without signalling.

I executed some perfect passing technique without feeling at risk, or without putting pressure on the driver being passed or the oncoming traffic.

I felt at one with my bike. I didn't feel like I had to fight a thing or that the bike was fighting me.

I have loved riding in my short riding career. But today was the very first time when I felt totally in control, totally at ease, totally tuned in, and totally happy with my ride. I would hate to call myself an expert rider, but I felt that way for the first time today.

I feel that I can now mentor new riders...just like I was 16 months ago.

God I love motorcycles...

How would you describe your last perfect ride?
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
Acacia
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Acacia »

Good to hear you have enjoyed riding. Is not that why we ride - at least most of us for most of the time?

The perfect ride? After about 45 years of riding I am still looking for the better ride. Looking back, all rides I specifically recall are memorable for different reasons and experiences. The 50r is certainly a joy to ride.
Member #192
"Life is a curve!"
JCsman
Lifer

Post by JCsman »

Good for you, Gord.

I've had similar experiences. I'll never be a hot rock pilot. But there are times when I feel smooth and (corny, sorry) one with the bike.

Of course there are those other days..... :oops:
- Bill #438, Lifetime
If I'm going to grow up, I'd better hurry.....oh well.
jrock
Basic User

Post by jrock »

Sounds like you were in the "zone" like zweige wrote about in "Total loss".
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Ummm...Gord...
Congrats on achieving that. It doesn't come quick or easy, be proud.
And be afraid.
I don't know how many riders I've known through the years that "broke through" like you did, got a little complacent, some a little over confidant, a little less sure that "they're all going to try to kill me", a little less alert, whatever. And had trouble, from a little to a lot.
This has been the topic of many, many discussions among experienced riders, about their less experienced buds.
I'm not saying it's inevitable, but it is possible and probably statistically significant.
You're a smart guy and obviously a good rider, you've made yourself that.
Use this new level as a foundation and keep getting better. A little, everyday, forever.
Be proud but stay scared too, at least a little.
For as long as you ride.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Gord....your experience is a sign that man and machine are coming together in a unique bond, however Dave makes a good point and I second.

There are some days that I find myself in the zone.....can't do a thing wrong, now and again I have days that I'm a total klutz....feel inept, mind wonders, timing is off.....my ride is very short on those ocassions, just return home, wash the bike and wait for tomorrow.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
dilligaf
Basic User

Post by dilligaf »

Gord, i know what you mean. Some days i feel good, i'm in "the zone", i can crack the throttle in mid corner and power slide/ power wheelie out of it(yes this bike will do it, you got to get rid of that stock exhaust folks!). Other days i just don't feel right, my heads not clear, i'm not focused on the ride and i know if i were to try that i'd end up in a ball on the other side of the road. As i've gotten older i've learned(for the most part) to listen to that feeling.
Suzuki T500- learned on
Vmax- hang on
Klr650- muddy on
Softail- laid on
R1150R- moved on
RiftonRoadster
Basic User

Post by RiftonRoadster »

Gord,
Good for you man. I'll bet cars were moving out of your way before you even got to them. It's like a gift or reward for all the work you've done over the last 16 months. It's all about processing the info as it comes to you on the road and everything was telling you it was gonna be good. Just keep vigilent. I've had occasions where the first part of the ride was perfect and then - seemingly out of nowhere- a car appears on the road in front of me. Once or twice I thought I can just scoot around him and be gone. I took 1 second and rethought and then fall in behind for a break from all this perfection. It paid off when they made a left a 100 yards later. I hope you enjoyed your experience and may you have many more like it.

Peter
2002 Red R1150R - "Katarina"
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750 - Sweet Ride
jonothan
Basic User

Post by jonothan »

Nice one, Gord. It's just great when you dial into it so well. You walk away from the bike, the exhaust ticking as it cools, and you just know how well you've done. It's a good feeling. I've only ever got near that once. But I hope it'll come with experience.

My last perfect ride was today, but for very different reasons to your own.

Elaine collected her Honda CBR125R today and we rode over to Hull to see the mother-in-law.

We took the back roads through the Lincolnshire Wolds and she followed me. It was very slow and steady at no more than 55 mph, but she loved every minute of it even though she was very nervous. Even crossing the Humber Bridge (which was until two years ago the longest single span suspension bridge in the world) with the high crosswinds, she was steady and sure-footed.

She is a tidy and neat little rider. I was very proud indeed. A great ride. A great day.

Jonothan
BMW R850R in silver
heated grips
panniers
flyscreen
cylinder head protectors
tor1150r
Basic User

Post by tor1150r »

Way to go Gord.
I know what you mean on all accounts. Some days (more often now as I put more miles on) I am so in the 'zone'. Bike feels like just another limb.

I had a great one this weekend, eventhough it was 2-up and luggage. Touched the toe of my boot sole on a deep right lean, avoided road irregularities. The type of ride where you dismount and look at the damn thing for 5 minutes with a smirk!
07 R12GS - Granite
04 R1150R - Black (sold)
Member #468
arkline
Quadruple Lifer

Post by arkline »

Good onya! Nothing like being in the zone, some would say better'n sex...
This has been the topic of many, many discussions among experienced riders, about their less experienced buds.
I'm not saying it's inevitable, but it is possible and probably statistically significant.
I think Dave is talking about the second year curse. It usually happens in your second year of riding. As you become more confident, more skilled, and more one with the bike, there is a tendency to have that first really significant get off. Pushing too hard or dropping situational awareness may be one cause. The cure is to back off a bit if you're charging and to crank the paranoia way up. Best of luck to you and all of us.
arkline #27
not THE Ron Kline

"No matter where you go, there you are."
tor1150r
Basic User

Post by tor1150r »

arkline wrote:
It usually happens in your second year of riding. As you become more confident, more skilled, and more one with the bike, there is a tendency to have that first really significant get off.
Guilty....2nd year 'get off'
But man did I learn from it! Luckily it was low speed, no damage to the bike, I got 2 minor scrapes...then continued my weekend trip.
07 R12GS - Granite
04 R1150R - Black (sold)
Member #468
gelbe Kulter
Lifer

Post by gelbe Kulter »

Last weekend. On Saturday we rode 362 miles in the hills of southeast Missouri. The day was sunny and clear, but not hot. Good companions, good pace, little traffic, good and bad asphalt, never rushed, never passed, roads so curvy that my butt never got sore and my front tire rounded back out. And I didn't come down with this cold until I got home.
malcolmm
Basic User

Very eloquent Gord

Post by malcolmm »

I have loved riding in my short riding career. But today was the very first time when I felt totally in control, totally at ease, totally tuned in, and totally happy with my ride. I would hate to call myself an expert rider, but I felt that way for the first time today.
Very eloquent Gord. The way you put your words together really worked for me.

stay safe.
cheers

mal from cessnock
checkout my galleries
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

I've been pretty quiet on the board since my original post in this thread. I've been squeezing in as much riding as I can with our prolonged summer here in my part of Canada. The snow will be flying soon.

As always I am enamoured by the willingness of the participants on this board to share their thoughts. Acacia I loved your " still looking for the better ride" comment. I think that is a given with us who ride. There is always a more challenging road than the one you just rode. Which I think ties in nicely with the very valid theme that Darthrider (Dave), Boxermania, and Arkline raised. Which is that you should not get complacent because you have a spectacular ride. Bang on.

To be honest, I think I rode so well on this particular day (and I have had a few strong days since) because I had my adrenaline pumping and my fear factor engaged. But if that is the case, what the heck was going on on the previous days when I thought I rode well? :oops: I never get on my bike thinking I am an expert. Motorcycling is one pleasure in life where humility is a good thing.

And for Jonothan, good on you, mate! The greatness of the ride isn't always about how great YOU are. Often it is more about who you are with. And it is great that the one you ride with plays such a significant role in your life. May you both ride frequently, pleasurably, and safely.

It's Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend. And the air is crisp. But the sky is blue. More riding in store before the snow flies...
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

I had my adrenaline pumping and my fear factor engaged
Adrenaline & fear...two old, dear friends.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
tipstall
Lifer
Donating Member #: 487

Post by tipstall »

Yesterday I had a great ride, the best ever on my XL, (no flames). It was great, I did freeze my hands but it was a great trip for a newbe, open country roads and no traffic.
DK
Basic User

Post by DK »

A perfect night ride that I remember was many years ago when I had my first bike, a Suzuki GS550L. I was stationed at Dover AFB DE working the evening shift and after work one night a couple of us took off around midnight. We rode all night, stopping at a couple 24 hour coffee and donut shops to relax. The weather was perfect all night and we just rode all over with no particular plan at all. On the way back to the base, I still remember watching the sun rise and thinking how great it was to own a bike.

DK