And the speed is...

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

CupOHemlock
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

And the speed is...

Post by CupOHemlock »

Thus far I have compiled the following dangerously interesting information for you:

In a purely scientific move, I have begun to tabluate the maximum speed of the K-R in each gear up to the moment of RPM cutoff at redline (11k)

1st - 73 MPH
2nd- 102 MPH
3rd- 123 MPH
4th- 142 MPH

5th and 6th will have to wait as I lack the testicular fortitude and enough straightaway at the moment to find out. Also, I have only made 2 attempts at each gear :)

COH (Rich)
camfarm

I64

Post by camfarm »

I-64 westbound between Oilville (Exit 167 ish) and Louisa (Exit 142 ish).

3-4 am. Full moon. Watch for LEO in the median crossovers approaching Haddensville Exit (152 ish).

No deer over past 5 years of night travel. Established aerodynamic drag limits of a Jaguar XJ8 along that stretch.
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

COH

102 in second gear. Nows thats what I'm talking about.

I understand your reluctance to try for 5th or 6th yet. If it pulls max RPM in 6th, what's the theoretical top speed?

Looks like it would be about 183. I saw a bike mag that the tester hit 165 on roads in Spain.

Do you find yourself riding faster than on your RR? My worry would be lack of self discipline & possible Darwin factor for myself. I'm curious how it is to ride daily & whether or not its possible to keep the speed / acceleration in sane territory.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
camfarm

Speed Control

Post by camfarm »

SCRob,

My LIMFAC for top speed is in the head, not on the bike. I feel a certain speed is right and don't find myself getting caught up in the ease which with this bike can deceive one.

OTOH, the acceleration is problematic. I get from 0-60 in first from a light (country 4 lane highway light) and ease off abruptly as I shift into 2nd. It's a good way to leave the cagers behind and establish a safety zone, but it will take some practice to get it smoother.

BTW, VA State Police are on a crackdown. Lately, everything gets a stop.
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

Socalrob,

I can't imagine the acceleration could keep bouncing up in 5th and 6th. The speedo tops out at 180. I have read 150ish is max, but that doesn't jive with what I am seeing so far. If I had to guess right now I would lay money on 165 or so. I seriously doubt I have the juevos to find out though. I find I have to tuck in bigtime above 120 and at that speed one just can't take too much to drool on the speedo :) I will do a few more tests as I can. I definitely do not want to become a felon from speeding.

I do tend to ride faster than I do on the 1150, but it is only because the K-R is so blasted smooth and accelerates so easily. I tend to cruise around 70MPH though on main roads and I find this does not draw undue attention and mixes pretty well with the cagers too.

Mike,

Your warnings are well taken. Here in my section of Virginia I find the local constables to be where I am not for the most part. I know that will not always be the case.

I still want to get together for a reasonable ride though.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

So is it true.....that time slows down as you approach the speed of light?... :lol:

DJ
camfarm

Lights

Post by camfarm »

DJ,

I never got that part...but for me...

Time approaches as I speed away from a light.
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

Took a trip up to Gettysburg this weekend. This was my first 100+ mile run. The K-R handled great, even in the rain on the way back.

Here is another little speed tidbit:

On level road, at 5000 RPM, the bike goes exactly 80 MPH in 6th gear :)

This is with my 185 pounds on it and about 30 pounds of luggage.
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

On the salt at Bonneville, we got the Power Cup bike to 166 thru the traps, did not have much chance to try for more as the wind picked up and they closed the course. We were able to set at least one official world record however.

Dean-O
Member #33
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Deans BMW wrote:On the salt at Bonneville, we got the Power Cup bike to 166 thru the traps, did not have much chance to try for more as the wind picked up and they closed the course. We were able to set at least one official world record however.
Dean, how far from stock (a standard K1200R) is the powercup model?
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Dean, how far from stock (a standard K1200R) is the powercup model?
The engine differences on the Power Cup vs the standard K1200R are , as near as we can tell, is a diff ECU and exhaust. The claim is 175 HP vs 162. By the way, an incredable bike to ride, a ton of fun. There is a lot of other differences as well, the bike costs $29,000.00 if you could buy one, that is.
Dean-O
Member #33
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Dean
What was the record?
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Biff, I don't know as there is dozens of classes that you can enter. I think they identified 4 classes that they might contest. The wind came up before everything was sourted out on the bike. Chris thinks that the low 170's is well within reach. Not bad for a 1170 cc naked drive shaft bike.
Dean-O
Member #33
K1200R

1157cc

Post by K1200R »

1157cc
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

I was a bad boy. :cry:

http://R1150R.smugmug.com/gallery/827966/3/37266464

Your Honor, I promise never to do it again. :roll:

Frank

:lol: :D :lol: :D
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Frank, you done good. :smt023
Dean-O
Member #33
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

Your Honor, the Honorable Dean, exalted and esteemed member of a major motorcycle web site, told me, and I quote, "Frank, you done good." So after Sir Dean tells me that you are still going to throw the book at me?

"Well Mr. Ganger, I didn't realize Dean was your 'mouth piece' in this case - NOT GUILTY. Now go and sin no more."

Dean if your comment didn’t work, I was going to have to drag our Patrick into the fray. Who could lose with the two of you in their corner?

Frank
:D :D :D
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

:smt026 :smt030 :smt026
Dean-O
Member #33
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

5th and 6th will have to wait as I lack the testicular fortitude and enough straightaway at the moment to find out.
CupOHemlock is being very modest and proper regarding the above quote, when in fact he couldn't engage the two upper gears because the twins were slapping the sheat out of his helmet at those speeds.....nicely done CupO.

On another note and based on CupO observation of 80 mph @ 5,000 rpm. If an average rider can pull 10,000 rpm in 6th gear the theoretical true speed would have been 152 mph.

You boys are being bad......remember not to push the envelope too far.......we are mere mortals....... :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

I am *trying* to be good.... really!

I just passed 2000 miles and I have some other thoughts I will post soon.

I have been having fun though.

COH (Rich)