AF-XIED? Spiegler brake lines?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

orangeclocker
Donating Member #: 1136

AF-XIED? Spiegler brake lines?

Post by orangeclocker »

Just finished a long overdue list on my 2003 R1150R. Owned since 2004, only 46K (embarrassing). New clutch (longer spline version), input shaft spline inspection/lube (no wearing issues!), replaced the clutch slave cylinder (it was crusty but not failing), re-wrapped all the wiring since the factory was crusty and mostly gone, and added the AF-XIED air/fuel mixer to replace a different one. First time tearing the bike apart to this degree and all went smooth - started back up on the first go! Was a good excuse to pick up a lift from HF. Fluid change is up.

Interesting first ride with the AF-XIED; seems like it took a few miles to initially learn (?) because the bike ran well at first, then like garbage, then finally waaay nicer. I went on the lean side at first (setting 5), I guess the that's the recommendation with higher flow aftermarket exhaust (Z-Technik, no cat). Anyone with a similar setup?

Been thinking about new brake lines too. Mine look OK but things wear out and I don't want that to be while on a trip... plus, why not change it up. Anyone have experience with the Spiegler's kits, non-ABS?

Hoping things warm up here in MN - cold and windy ride today!

-Luke
'03 R1150R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: AF-XIED? Spiegler brake lines?

Post by towerworker »

I've installed Spiegler on my '05 RT. Oher than more plumbing with ABS I don't think it's all that different. Their stuff is great quality as well as customer service.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I have Spiegler brake lines on the oilhead and two of the airheads .
They have an interesting feature, there is a slip joint on the banjo fittings that allows you to take out the twist in the lines that usually occurs on installing the lines .
Also here is something to look for on the front brake lines, I was turning the forks to the left when locking it .
The line that goes from the fitting where the ABS unit would connect to the forks, gets tensioned when you do that .
That OEM line broke on me at the swaged fitting, gave me no warning until it happened, no leak, etc .
I lock the forks with them to the right now .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .
orangeclocker
Donating Member #: 1136

Post by orangeclocker »

Thanks!

-Luke
'03 R1150R
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Running AF-xied for 7 years and big fan. Tried a range of settings initially then stuck with 7 or 8 (will have to check).

Installed on 1st Rockster then transferred to current a Rockster. Tried other black box (air temperature) options on Roadster but wasn't convinced of lasting improvements.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)