Back after 10 years!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ClassicVW
Basic User

Back after 10 years!

Post by ClassicVW »

Hello again! Very glad to see you’re still here.
Spent the past 10 years in Triumph, Honda, and Vespa Land since I sold my ‘12 RT. Got the scooter lust out of my system. The Hondas were reliable machines but as boring as driving a 2010 Accord. I really like the modern Triumphs and I own a Street Scrambler.

Began to miss my Beemers. Previously had 1150 and 1200 RTs, RT-P, R1200C, KLT.
So I have bought from out of state, still waiting for Haul Bikes to pick it up and deliver to me, a ‘02 R1150R. Non ABS, red color, with only 10K miles on it for $4,000. Brand new tires and a service. I already received the title and all service records from new. It seems everything that should have been done maintenance-wise was done. No repair surprises, just a blown accessory fuse, a reported fuel leak which the dealer couldn’t replicate and tightened the connectors, one was replaced, and the headstock wire bracket recall was done before there was any issue.

So even though I’m excited with anticipation, and I do have the service records, I’m still a little nervous buying a 20 year old motorcycle without being able to see it in person, just through photos and talking to the dealer who had it on consignment.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Back after 10 years!

Post by towerworker »

Very cool! Sounds like quite a find. Best of luck and welcome back!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Welcome back!
Member #1
ClassicVW
Basic User

Post by ClassicVW »

Thanks Wayne and Doug!

I should post a follow up to how it’s turned out. In a word- Fantastic!
It arrived via HaulBikes and the driver was great, he agreed on a nearby to my house empty parking lot to deliver it.
It is in absolutely like new condition. I know all the partially hidden places to look deeply for spots they might miss if doing a half-assed cleaning or detail, and everywhere is spotless, shining, and looks new. Paint, chrome, plastic and rubber bits show absolutely no signs of age. The bike runs like a Swiss watch in every way. Everyone I’ve told that it’s 20 years old laughs like I’m making a joke, then calls me a liar. I’m elated it turned out so well.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Great to hear!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Inspiring!

I would like to go fishing for a similarly vintage and newish R1150R as project bike, if I sell a bike to make room in the garage. Always an Oilhead fan - specifically of our Roadster/Rockster versions.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
ClassicVW
Basic User

Post by ClassicVW »

sweatmark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:37 am Inspiring!

I would like to go fishing for a similarly vintage and newish R1150R as project bike, if I sell a bike to make room in the garage. Always an Oilhead fan - specifically of our Roadster/Rockster versions.
I’ve also always liked oilheads. There are deals out there. Even though it’s gotten cold here real fast, I’m loving everything about this bike. All my past BMW bikes have been larger touring models, but now with two rescue dogs at home, I’m severely limited as to taking multi day trips. With those larger bikes it sometimes was a pain to wrestle them out of the garage just to take a short ride. I’m also older and just had a hernia repair so I’m a bit cautious about heavyweight bikes.