Hyperpro Shocks

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoof
Basic User

Hyperpro Shocks

Post by Hoof »

As requested here's my overview of the Hyperpro Schocks I fitted:

Ordered from Motorworks who gets them from the Netherlands - I got the basic 'box' set of front and rear shocks c, £1000 including postage.
They took about 3 weeks to arrive and the appearance / quality is excellent. They are very well made and apparently adjusted by Hyperpro for rider weight.

With the bike on the centre stand the rear shock fitted easily only requiring removal of the wheel and loosening the lower silencer cover for easier access
The front shock again was an easy fit - the Horn needed loosening to remove the old shock and fit the new Hyperpro unit but in tightening the top end there is a hex insert to oppose the centre rod from turning when the main nut is tightened - it snapped at initial tightening at about 20 Nm (about half the manuals recommendation) so the shock was now about 10mm short - Certainly a weakness where the hex hole thins the centre rod

The replacement was sent direct from the Netherlands in less than a fortnight with a sticker suggesting the nut should be just 'tight' - This time I just firmed up the top nut & used a thread sealant.

I've only done c. 30 miles on the new shocks but initial impressions are that the bike (2003 R1150r) is firmer, and rides well. I'll check sag etc later to check settings - spanners for this are provided by Hyperpro.

All in all they are excellent shocks as an alternative to Ohlins which are no longer made for the R1150. - I put the bit that snapped of as just one of those things!
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Hyperpro Shocks

Post by riceburner »

Thanks for the write up!

I'm considering Nitrons for the Rockster, does your rear shock have a remote preload adjuster?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

Nitrons look really good. You need the remote adjuster on the rear if you change your weight with luggage load variation or adding passenger weight. If you always ride with the same weight you can set the preload/sag once when installing, then wouldn't need it.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Yes - there is a pre-load adjuster on the rear Hyperpro Shock - same fitting on the bike as the original. The box set comes adjusted for rider weight when orderedv- but I want to check sag etc as soon as I understand the instuctions!
Adjustment Spanners and Bracket for the pre-load adjuster come in the box.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I think most all the manufactures make the rear shock replacement with the Hyd. Adjuster on it. I recently bought some custom Ohlins for my R1100S and it was spect out with the remote Hyd. Adjuster but as an option it could be deleted, wasn't that much of a savings so I got it with the Hyd. adjuster.
Hyperpro looks like another good choice for the R1150R's. I don't have any experience with them but have seen them on many bikes. Hope you post another ride report after you get some miles on them.
I think I've posted this info before but my TFX shocks for the R1150R has been a complete disaster. The first set failed within 500 miles both front and rear. Replaced under the warranty the second sets valving wasn't correct and they again stated leaking fluid. All within a few hundred miles. Now Ted Porter, Beemer Shop is replacing them with custom made TracTive shocks. Already replaced the front and we are waiting for the rear to come in from the Netherlands, I hope any day now. Ted has been great to work with just wish he hadn't sold us on the TFX shocks. The front seems really good now with the Tractive but not many miles tell the rear is put on. I'll report back here when both are on it.
My other R1150R's with the Ohlins have performed flawlessly. Played around with the Damper settings a little but have found their recommended settings feel the best and make the bikes handle great. Pushing hard in the turns they make the bike track very well.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

You mentioned the bike rides firmer. Do the shocks come with stiffer springs ? Also...does this modification raise or lower the bike ?
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Here's the manufacturers Spec for the R1150R, for the Front + rear shocks. No noticeable change in height to the original Showa shocks.

The Hyperpro Streetbox contains a replacement progressive front fork spring kit set and an adjustable emulsion shock absorber.

They claim that:- "The springs and shock provide easier cornering, a shorter braking distance, improved tire life, give a better balance in the bike and better overall feedback of your bike. The shock features manual preload adjustment and rebound adjustment with 50 clicks. The shock is equipped with a black color progressive spring ( a purple spring can be ordered as a free option). The shock is built with our modular system, so the shock is fully serviceable and any part can be exchanged if needed".

As a I said; I've only done c. 30 miles on the new shocks but initial impressions are that the bike (2003 R1150r) is firmer, and rides well. I'll check sag etc later to check settings which are set for my weight by Hyperpro on ordering.- spanners for adjustment are provided.
harveyrawn
Basic User

Post by harveyrawn »

The original rear shock on my 2002 R1150R just leaked its fluid at 92,000 miles so it's time to replace both front and rear. I'm just starting to research replacement shocks so of course I started with R1150R.net and found this thread.

Is there consensus that Hyperpro is the way to go? Are there less expensive replacements that perform adequately? Not sure how much money I want to put into the bike at this stage. Thanks for any recommendations.
Harvey
Recharged on an '02
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

They are all about the same pricing for a quality replacement. I think you'll fined HyperPro, Nitron or Wilbers still available. Probable around $2,000 for front and rear.
IBA#7147
Bogdan
Basic User

Post by Bogdan »

Some riders choose to upgrade from the original shocks early on; thus, they have the originals laying around. On my last bike (KlR) I located and purchased one of these, with few miles. I decided to change the stock spring for a beefier version. I was satisfied with the results.The cost was a small fraction of an aftermarket replacement.
harveyrawn
Basic User

Post by harveyrawn »

Thanks for the good idea. I think I'll pursue that solution.
Harvey
Recharged on an '02
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hoping to fit and testout my Nitrons (ordered nearly 4 months ago now, they turned up fine, but I've not been able to get to the bike), this weekend. :D

Fingers crossed the weather holds!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
gibbo111
Lifer

Post by gibbo111 »

Had Hyper pros on my 2007 r for 95000km now. Rear has been leaking for a while now so I sent it off to have seals replaced. Its the third time i have had to have leaking seals replaced and the shop that is doing have let me know that the bodies of the shocked are not in a good condition and they will start to leak again quite soon. So I have told them to put it in the bin as the $A450 repair is not worth it. Very disappointed with the life span of them. The front is also leaking and have had it rebuilt once as well. The old original shocks are going back on . I replaced them when my bike had 30oookm on it now at 125000km. Thought these would be more durable than they have been