Just checking in... and Rockster rebuild

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Just checking in... and Rockster rebuild

Post by sweatmark »

Don't remember when I last checked in here, and happy to see we are still up & running! SO I'm saying "hi" to you all and hope to reconnect.

Cannot say the same for my Rockster, which sadly sits on the Handy lift just like the day I rode it home from last summer's crash. SO I'm making this public admission to self-apply peer pressure... need to ride that bike to the MOA rally for reunion with my old Rockster (brother's bike since 2018).

Are we still 3rd party image hosting for this (Doug's) board? If so then gotta get with the program to post my pics.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Just checking in... and Rockster rebuild

Post by towerworker »

Good to hear you again. I'm afraid I've not ridden nor checked in since very late fall of last year. Will try to do more going forward.
Last edited by towerworker on Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 pm Don't remember when I last checked in here, and happy to see we are still up & running! SO I'm saying "hi" to you all and hope to reconnect.
We're still here, but tend to run out of bandwidth* for the site about mid-month.

* (permitted amount of data exported from the server)
sweatmark wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 pm Cannot say the same for my Rockster, which sadly sits on the Handy lift just like the day I rode it home from last summer's crash. SO I'm making this public admission to self-apply peer pressure... need to ride that bike to the MOA rally for reunion with my old Rockster (brother's bike since 2018).
Have to admit I only put Rock4 through the MOT this past weekend (Passed, with a nearly wornout rear and a slightly pulsing rear brake, but it passed!). Spent the rest of the weekend riding. :D Albeit with a jump-pack on board because the battery wasn't too happy about being stuck in a garage since December!

sweatmark wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 pm Are we still 3rd party image hosting for this (Doug's) board? If so then gotta get with the program to post my pics.
I'd imagine so - I still recommend Flickr.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Just checking in - again!
PayPal notified me of auto-payment to Doug for this site, and created longing for the golden era when we enjoyed vigorous daily activity.
Took rebuilt Rockster 2 into NorCal last week for vacation, 1000+ miles of excellent mountain and coastal roads. We skipped a few favorites due to forest fires, high temps and smoke, but hope to revisit next Spring.
The bike is running great and remains my best-handling oil head ever, with custom suspension dialed in.
I put Shinkos on Rockster last summer before crashing, really liked the tires in warm and dry conditions, but experienced lots of wheel slip in the cool & damp. My bike has extra low RPM torque but rear wheel slip shouldn't be so prominent with <100HP.
Hope everyone is doing well. I do follow the Facebook Rockster group, though postings there are less useful than what we have enjoyed here.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Hello again to all!

Early last year I had sold my 104K 2004 R when I bought an '05 RT. A few months ago I bought it back when the new owner had become somewhat fearful of motorcycles when a friend of his son was injured on one. He had put less than 100 miles on it but had managed to do a tad bit of damage in those short 100 miles. He overheated the engine to the point where the sight glass had clouded and bulged and one of the stick coils had failed. I repaired both along with some long overdue header polishing. I did a full service and took it out for a ride. Such a huge difference in riding experience from the RT! Made me realize how much I had come to love the RT. Some major heart surgery earlier this year had almost convinced me that the Rt was too heavy for me. But in the ensuing months my strength has returned plus quite a bit more and the RT has lost weight. So now the '04 R has gone to a good friend who has already slightly modified the bike and made it his own. The next 100K will be his own.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Wayne - it's good to hear you're riding, any bike! And keeping in the R-boxer family.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 am Hello again to all!

Early last year I had sold my 104K 2004 R when I bought an '05 RT. A few months ago I bought it back when the new owner had become somewhat fearful of motorcycles when a friend of his son was injured on one. He had put less than 100 miles on it but had managed to do a tad bit of damage in those short 100 miles. He overheated the engine to the point where the sight glass had clouded and bulged and one of the stick coils had failed. I repaired both along with some long overdue header polishing. I did a full service and took it out for a ride. Such a huge difference in riding experience from the RT! Made me realize how much I had come to love the RT. Some major heart surgery earlier this year had almost convinced me that the Rt was too heavy for me. But in the ensuing months my strength has returned plus quite a bit more and the RT has lost weight. So now the '04 R has gone to a good friend who has already slightly modified the bike and made it his own. The next 100K will be his own.

Wayne
Good to read that you're recuperating and still able to ride!

Is your mate on here asking about what oil yet?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

riceburner wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:35 am

Wayne

I am doing so very well that it amazes me! Answers to lots of prayer and a little work of my own. I think I've logged maybe 3K since my surgery in March and have had a 6 month appt with the heart surgeon at UVA Medical Center. A very very good report from him and his staff.

I've tried to school my friend on all things R and have pointed him to this site. Hopefully he'll find his way here. If a new owner of an '04 Ferro Blue R shows up here you guys please point out to him that he will soon be needing to check the R's antifreeze...........
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

Glad to hear you are doing well - must be- the antifreeze jokes are back! :lol:
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:28 am
riceburner wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:35 am

Wayne

I am doing so very well that it amazes me! Answers to lots of prayer and a little work of my own. I think I've logged maybe 3K since my surgery in March and have had a 6 month appt with the heart surgeon at UVA Medical Center. A very very good report from him and his staff.

I've tried to school my friend on all things R and have pointed him to this site. Hopefully he'll find his way here. If a new owner of an '04 Ferro Blue R shows up here you guys please point out to him that he will soon be needing to check the R's antifreeze...........
Very glad to hear all the good news!

(don't worry - we'll look after him... ;) )
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life