Rear wheel removal

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

RonBomb
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Rear wheel removal

Post by RonBomb »

Anybody got instructions for removing rear wheel? I got a new tire and plan to deposit wheel & tire with dealer to save labor. I got the 4 lugs off and the brake assembly removed, but the wheel didn't budge. Do I need to remove the 6 torx bolts to the rotor?

Appreciate any help offered.

RonBomb
Motorcycling is like flying on the ground
hotzuk

Rear brake caliper removed?

Post by hotzuk »

Did you remove the rear brake caliper from its mounting posts?
jamais
Basic User

Post by jamais »

DO NOT remove the rotor! If you've got the brake caliper off, then the wheel should come off.
Security is a myth
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Is the caliper completely free of the rotor? You have to remove the two large Torx bolts that hold the caliper on and wiggle it out of the way...be careful to not scratch the paint on swingarm.
The wheel should come right off. You might have to "bump" it a bit if it is stuck.
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
RonBomb
Lifer

Re: Rear brake caliper removed?

Post by RonBomb »

hotzuk wrote:Did you remove the rear brake caliper from its mounting posts?
Yes. I was just reading the rear wheel removal procedure in the manual posted at http://home.mindspring.com/~jabrooks/

According to the manual, removing the brake assembly and the lugs should be all that is needed. I'm going back into the garage to give it another try.

Thanks,
RonBomb
baltm604
Lifer

Post by baltm604 »

you may have to give the wheel a tap or two to get it loose.

Also, what tire is on it, and what are you replacing it with?

the avon's are wide, I had to deflate the tire to get the wheel on and off. also had to wiggle it back and forth to get it past the muffler.

good luck,

Bill
gelbe Kulter
Lifer

Post by gelbe Kulter »

Loosening the muffler and rotating it a bit will help get the clearance needed for those wide Avons.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Did you get it off yet? It probably was just stuck a bit with rust . Also, it might seem obvious to most, but do you have it on the center stand?
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Lesson for all, read the manual
Dean-O
Member #33
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

RonBomb.......you have done everything necesary to remove the wheel.

I presume that this is your first time.......the wheel is made of aluminum and the close tolerance hub it fits is made of steel. Removing the wheel the first time is a bit dificult because this is a common place where rust will form, as Boxer has indicated. You can use a rubber hammer or rock the wheel from side to side until it comes loose.

Make sure that you clean both the wheel hub and the mounting hub on the differential, don't sand the surfaces since they are the ones that center the wheel to the hub. I always apply a thin film of bearing grease to the surfaces to mitigate rust formation.

Last but not least, make sure you torque the wheel bolts in a criss-cross pattern, using three steps, say, 30 ft-lbs, 50 ft-lbs and 70 ft-lbs. The final torque value should be 72 ft-lbs but I leave it at 70 since it is within the torque wrench accuracy.

Hope this helps....... :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Lance1150
Basic User

Post by Lance1150 »

My Avons went on just fine without loosening anything else.... the little manual, that came with the bike, is a perfect step-by-step for the complete idiot... that's why I use it.
03' Black Roadster
Southern California
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

RonBomb,

The wheel is stuck because of the normal corrosion.

The best way to un-stick a frozen-on wheel is to first use the centerstand, then remove the rear brake caliper's 2 TORX mounting bolts. Then turn the rear wheel a half turn as you put the bike in 1st gear. Next, loosen all lugnuts about 3 turns. Next grab the wheel at opposite sides, like the 10 and 4 O'Clock positions, and wobble it to break it free without having it break loose and crash into something valueable. The Lugnuts will restrain it. The rest you know.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
RonBomb
Lifer

Success

Post by RonBomb »

"What tire is on it, and what are you replacing it with?"

Replaced an MEZ5 with 9,000+ miles on it with an Avon ST46. Looking at some of the other posts, some of the other members are almost clairvoyent in assuming it was Avon. Had to tap the tire with a ballpeen hammer at 180 degrees opposite to get the wheel to break free. Getting the wheel back on was easy, though I did have to deflate the tire. Getting the brake caliper back on was more problematic, for reasons that are not clear.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, so I don't have an opinion on the Avon yet.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

RonBomb