Problems mounting system cases

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

BlueBeak
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Problems mounting system cases

Post by BlueBeak »

OK, so I bought the City Cases for BlueBeak. The bike came with
the rails on it, so I figured they'd clamp right on.

BUT, there is a hump in the underside of the rail where it looks like
the clamp should grab on. Looking at it with a flashlight, I can see
parting lines, so it looks like this thing should come out, but I can't
find any screws or anything to remove it.

I tried searching the forums, but "system cases" returns just about
every post. ;-)

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
-Herb DaSilva
'05 R1150R Deep Blue Metallic
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

This comes up again and again....I also wondered about it.

The tab that pushes against the rail...just pushes against it...not into any hole or slot.

Why did BMW put a slight line there that makes it look like you need to push out or remove a part of the rail....geees I don't know...I bet they're all laughing about it back in BMW land.

I hope this answers your question.

DJ
BlueBeak
Basic User

How about that

Post by BlueBeak »

Thanks for the reply.

OK, well, I'll try it again. It just seemed like it required more
force than I was comfortable with to latch the handle down on
the cases.

Maybe that parting line is just there so that section of the rail
will "give" under load?

Thanks again,
-Herb DaSilva
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Variation

Post by MikeCam »

In a variation of 'they all do that' I'll chime in with agreement on DJ's point. 'It takes getting used to'.

Be certain, everytime you mount the cases, that the foot is engaged and the upper two tabs are aligned to the rail properly. Then, as you clamp down that baby, the lower clamp engages -- and yes it feels like you are forcing it--just be gentle hard and check your work after...
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

It takes effort on my system case handles to close them and engage the locking mechanism. And I would hope that it does take effort. Anything that is to easy would be liable to vibrate open I suspect. So the effort to engage the handles is comfort to me.

Although I almost made a huge error last Saturday. Out for a 600km jaunt around the lakes of Muskoka north of Toronto with a bunhc of buddies. Got back to one of their cottages just as the sun was setting and it was quite dark where we parked our bikes. In trying to close one of the case lids, I had forgot to turn the key and was accidently pushing down on one of the orange locking tabs. Thank god I noticed before I snapped the thing off. It was badly bent though and it took a little bit of work in the sunlight the next morning to bend it back flat so that everything worked properly.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Herb...It's mostly because your cases are new your need so much force to open and close the handle..this will get easier after a few months of use.

It dose feel like something might break...just make sure you never try and push the handle down while the bright orange tab is out.

It's very easy to forget to turn the key to retract the orange tab and try and close it...that orange tab is very soft alloy and will bend and even break very easy.

Like MikeCam said...when mounting..allways make sure all three points are in position..when new it takes a fair bit of force to push the case down into possition and lift it back off...this will get easier.

It's also a common mistake to not have the lower foot in possition..allowing the case to swing in and out to-wards the wheel.

Even with these few hassles they're great cases.

DJ
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Herb - Ditto on the other comments. My stock cases were (and still are) both pretty loose as far as the force required on the latching handles. When I picked up a new fullsize left case, I was amazed at how much extra force was required. I also thought something was wrong. It's now starting to loosen up as the vibration and wear on the plastic rail and hinge points allows things to settle in. Just be gentle and it will come good with use.

As always, proper location of the foot mount and top hooks is critical in keeping the cases on the bike! I also think that part of the problem is the tightness of the top hooks. In my new case, the top hooks are really tight. I have to push the hooks down into position, wheareas the old case just drops down. The tightness makes the case sit a smidge higher, making the latching handle require more force to operate. As things wear in, the top hooks seem to wear down (loosen up) and the latching gets easier because the case is seated better. I've even thought of doing a very light file on the hooks to remove any raised bits and make them seat better, but decided that tight was better than loose.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Cheers, Mick.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
BlueBeak
Basic User

Success

Post by BlueBeak »

Greetings all,

As might be completely expected, I got the cases mounted
without further issue last night. The "gentle hard" approach
(love that) was indeed all that was required.

And I actually think this bike looks more purposeful with
the bags than without.

Now I can (finally!) ride to work without my satchel slung
across my back. :D

Thanks to all for the helpful comments!
-Herb DaSilva
Airman1

Latch Operation

Post by Airman1 »

I had the same concerns about the parting line under there as you did.
Mine still fit tight after two years of use. I like to give the case a "bounce" as I close the latches, you can feel the pressure ease when you do this. Always check that the foot is in the proper place after a remount. I missed this once in spite of the lost bag stories I had read on here. I was lucky, only some grinding from the tire for my mistake.
rph802
Lifer

Re: Success

Post by rph802 »

BlueBeak wrote:Greetings all,

As might be completely expected, I got the cases mounted
without further issue last night. The "gentle hard" approach
(love that) was indeed all that was required.

And I actually think this bike looks more purposeful with
the bags than without.

Now I can (finally!) ride to work without my satchel slung
across my back. :D

Thanks to all for the helpful comments!
Yeah they do take some getting used to huh? My R1100R is 10 yrs old (not sure bout the cases but I'd have to guess they are at least 5yrs old) and it still requires more than a little oomph to get the cases on but they do feel nice and solid once in place.

I go back on forth on the looks issue. No doubt, you put the hand guards, tall touring shield, system cases and top rack on these bikes, they do a good impression of "real" touring motorcycle (but we know what she reeeeally wants to do right?? :D) but then I take everything but the handguards off including the case rails, and its just a whole different kinda sexy bike. Not as utilitarian I suppose but this is supposed to be fun right???

Fortunately I dont have to schlep anything like a laptop back and forth to work, so my tankbag generally meets my storage needs. But I think I will start leaving the rails on so I can just throw the cases on for small errands and such....

Like my Xterra, a million uses and counting!!! :D