K1200R 1st 1000 Miles

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

camfarm

K1200R 1st 1000 Miles

Post by camfarm »

Can't compete with COH but...

...after 3 weeks ownership and fun.

Yellow, no ABS, Non-ESA, low screen, heated grips, cases, top box (AM).

No issues. 600 service completed at $0.00. No faults.

1189 miles on highways, city streets (DC/NOVA), country roads. Rides fine. Getting used to the feel and feedback of the duolever. Seems lighter and more flickable than ever. No wobbles, weaves, or other upsets. Small screen is fine up to 90 mph, then a bit of chest pressure develops.

Had to swerve around a low flying deer at night last week -- non-event. If I'd been going slower or tried to stop, she would have hit the left side case. Only niggle is the spread of lighting. Pretty useless in corners, average or worse in straights. High beam has good fill in, low beam is dirty yellow and 'vague'. [I am old enough that lighting challenges might be due to my eyes and not the bike's equipment.]

Overall, I like it just fine. Worth the cost and effort.

Thought I'd share.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

Sounds good camfarm...and re your lights..maybe just try a different globe..that fixed the lights on my RR.

DJ
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

I would put a low beam HID bulb system in. About $300 but would be well worth it. Its easier on a light that has a seperate bulb for high beam as the HID doesn't work that great for high beam.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
dilligaf
Basic User

Post by dilligaf »

Hey DJ what did you use? A different globe or a bulb? and what's the part #?
Suzuki T500- learned on
Vmax- hang on
Klr650- muddy on
Softail- laid on
R1150R- moved on
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Hey DJ what did you use? A different globe or a bulb? and what's the part #?
Globe/bulb...same thing... :D ....I used a Philips H4 super white..or something like that...(I'll check the packet after..I think I still have it)

It's the same watts globe/bulb but it changed from the dull yellow beam to a crisp white light..much better..all for just a few bucks.($15 I think)

Got it at Autobarn.

DJ
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

Mike,

Sounds like you are having fun. I am coming up on 800 miles and my experiences are similar to yours.

What is this "can't compete with COH" thing? I have been very interested in your thoughts, insights, and experiences. Please explain.

COH (Rich)

P.S. You got your 600 service for free??
camfarm

Joking

Post by camfarm »

Rich,

I couldn't possibly go above the ton in the foreseeable future. I just don't have it in me from a mental/fiscal/legal/rational/control standpoint.

Nothing judgemental. As I posted earlier, I found the top aerodynamic speed of my Jaguar in a manner not in keeping with Virginia's traffic laws.

M
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

I've been following all of your posts with interest and probably shouldn't be so amazed by the similarity of impressions, but it is remarkable.

I've now got 1300 miles and am continually impressed with how smooth and forgiving the bike is. It is in no way tame, but it is also not a bucking bronco like the R1 it could possibly compete with.

I've got some night driving with my new HID light and it is a major improvement. I know I see farther and better than with the stock but it is a little disconcerting because where the beam ends there is a dramatic abrupt black-white line line that makes you wonder what is out there, just beyond that line. There is no fade to vague, just a now-you-see-it, now-you-don't sensation. The view is so good up close, I'm going to try raising it a little to extend the view and see how many people I p1$$ off.

I'm still not as agile at slow speeds as on the RR, but I'm getting better. It's partly the wheel base and partly the abrupt uptake of the throttle. It may also partly be the smaller diameter handles. Has anyone ever tried wrapping anything around the handgrips to make them fatter? I get the sensation I could be smoother with the throttle if it fit in my hand more like the RR. I certainly don't want to use tape, and would like to be able to easily get to the heated grips in the winter, but I was thinking about some kind of foam or sponge slip ons. I'll get used to it, but I miss the RR grips.

As to riding at speed, well that's a whole different story. I have to keep reminding myself to use my 48 year old brain, instead of that 18 year old brain that's still buried inside there. The scariest part is that after I've had a moment of indiscretion I find myself marveling at how forgiving and stable the bike was. Which is an obvious trap for the unwary - I keep telling myself. I really do need some track experience because I need a controlled setting to gingerly explore the limits so as not to be tempted to flirt with them on the road.

Here is my goal - to be assimilated!

As to the topic on another thread, I saw 140-something briefly the other day without trying very hard. The road just happened to open up nicely for a short stretch. It wasn't a clinical trial like COH's but I'm pretty sure I was in 5th because it wasn't straining, but I wasn't at WOT.

Ride safe.
Kevin
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Small screen is fine up to 90 mph, then a bit of chest pressure develops.
So if I'm dreaming of a bike that will do all day 100+mph, should I be leaning towards the S?? I put a small screen on the Rockster and can now cruise right at 100 for miles w/ no drama.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

BP, I'll give a report next week as I am going to northern Ca. for the Range of Light Gypsy Tour with Britnhaven. Plan to get there a day early and spend a day in the Santa Cruz Mountains on San Jose's demo K1200R :smt026 :smt034 :smt023 :smt038 :smt054 .

Plan to compare its wind protection of the K1200R to my RR with its flyscreen. I have cruised my RR for hundreds of miles at well over the ton.
Dean-O
Member #33
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Who will be the first person to put a barn door on the new R?? Ha ha.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Speaking of barn doors, I saw a picture of a Parabellum shield that looked to be about 3 ft. tall on a new ST. Now I like the ST's, but let me tell you that was one strange looking thing with the vertical stacked headlight & the 3 ft. parabellum shield.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Lance1150
Basic User

Post by Lance1150 »

Kevin,
I don't have a K1200... but used baseball bat handle tape to fatten up the grips on my Roadster, I HATE the standard straight grips, very uncomfortable... I put some 'fat in the middle' grips on my old R75/7 many moons ago, but they dont' make such grips for the Roadster.

By the way, tons of tape on the grips doesn't effect the heat through them at all...

My grips look a bit tacky, but feel 100% better.
03' Black Roadster
Southern California
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

Thanks Lance. I think I will try that.
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer