Toot...toot.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Toot...toot.

Post by Photoguy »

So it was a beautiful Fall day here in New England and I decided to use some of my free time for a ride. I must have inadvertently put on my invisible man jacket because twice in the span of 30 minutes, someone pulled out from a parking area on my right, making a left hand turn right in front of me- on the threshold of 'too close for comfort'. If I'd have been going faster it would have been ugly.

In both cases I was on the horn while braking and maybe because my full face helmut was closed up tight for the cooler temps, what I heard was (to me) an anemic 'toot'. Interesting to me as well, that other than checking that the horn works and the bike passes inspection, I can't recall ever even having the need to use the horn. It's the stock horn btw, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's within the decibel range of what it's supposed to be...but in both cases the drivers of the cars didn't even acknowledge that I was there. Eyes straight ahead, windows up, they went on their way, not even turning their head I'm my direction.

So, I'm just wondering for those that may have made changes to their horns...is there something better? Preferably a plug and play alternative? Louder without sounding like an 18 wheeler?

Thanks-
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Re: Toot...toot.

Post by Sunbeemer »

I installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact mini-airhorn under the tank where the ABS unit would be if I had one and it is 139dB LOUD!
It requires a relay to power it.
I think it's small enough to mount in place of the existing horn (but it still needs a relay and thicker wires).
You can see it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690019- ... 4885462432

Use it sparingly because it will scare inattentive drivers into thinking a truck is bearing down on them, sometimes with unpredictable results! :shock:
Last edited by Sunbeemer on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich
ADIOS!
dark_knight87
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by dark_knight87 »

I have a Denali Soundbomb mini - straight swap for the OEM horn and twice as loud!

https://denalielectronics.com/collectio ... sb-10200-b

Regards,
Russ
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've often heard good reports on the Stebel. I feel like my stock horn is ok but nothing spectacular. My LED lights pretty much alert drivers coming at me or preparing to pull out of side streets but that's it. Going thru Austin, Tx this past may I had occasion to nearly get run into a concrete center barrier. By a LEO no less. It was raining and he just gradually kept on moving over but I was in his blind spot and his windows were up. No doubt his A/C was cranked as well. A semi's horn would have made a difference. Sunbeemer you've convinced me. I've got a hole where the ABS unit sat as well. Just ordered one from Amazon.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

139dB* sounds like something BIG coming!
When a cellphoning cager on the interstate wandered halfway into my passing lane and I pushed the button, he must've thought a truck was coming because he jerked the wheel over so hard that his car started fishtailing as he overcorrected at 70mph!
As I blew by him the look on his face was fright-full.

So I use this horn sparingly, but when I need it, it does the job. It has definitely saved me a few times.
I recommend it...you just can't get the same volume out of an electric horn, and there is no perceptible lag.
I left the original horn installed, and both operate off the original horn switch.
Being under the tank does not seem to matter, it's still f*ing loud!
I think the tank actually focuses the sound forward so it doesn't seem as loud to the rider (a good thing!)

* sound pressure doubles for each +6dB.
Rich
ADIOS!
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

The moment you need a horn to warn somebody, is in fact almost too late. You don't want to get in that kind of situation.
"I must have inadvertently put on my invisible man jacket".
Makes me wonder. High visability jacket and helmet? Or black/brown jacket, black (or dark coloured) helmet?
About six years ago, I decided that I wanted to improve my saftey and thus visibility while riding a bike.
You have the bright yellow hi vis jackets. But a front screen and a topcase don't help in that department.
So I decided to buy the best visible (and ugliest) helmet I could find.
It really helps in your visibility and while wearing it, you don't have to look at it.
Just my 2 cents on road safety.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Gotta admit EasyBee, I was less than high vis the other day...dark leather jacket, black helmet, jeans. My warm weather riding gear is a bit brighter...it's a Hebo trials bike riding jacket with Flags and a bunch of other brightly colored parts. lots of red/white and blue. While it may look goofy I always thought it gave me a bit more visibility on the road. Certainly something to think about, for sure.

And thanks fellas for the recommendations and insight. Of to do some research!
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I also use gear that is more visible. But I still ride like I am invisible.....defensively. I do not want to be lulled that my gear will somehow make my presence to be known. I have wanted to change my horn for years but never have. I am glad you brought this topic back up!
Buckster '03R
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

EasyBee wrote:The moment you need a horn to warn somebody, is in fact almost too late. You don't want to get in that kind of situation.
Makes me wonder. High visability jacket and helmet? Or black/brown jacket, black (or dark coloured) helmet?
About six years ago, I decided that I wanted to improve my saftey and thus visibility while riding a bike.
You have the bright yellow hi vis jackets. But a front screen and a topcase don't help in that department.
It really helps in your visibility and while wearing it, you don't have to look at it.

It'll help, but you can't rely on it. If they're not looking they simply won't see you.

Always best to ride defensively and assume the worst, it's your life, not theirs that is at stake, so take responsibility for yourself.

:)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Mrclubike

Post by Mrclubike »

EasyBee wrote:The moment you need a horn to warn somebody, is in fact almost too late. You don't want to get in that kind of situation.
I could not agree More !!!!!! :D
I prefer the Hi Viz orange but they are harder to find
I prefer the Nolan N44 and was able to buy a orange one back in 2014 I needed to replace it in 2016 and had to settle on Hi Viz green

I will be putting a pair of Fiamm Freeway blasters on soon but i still have a problem finding the horn button quickly
Last edited by Mrclubike on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82 R65
04 R1150R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

"but i still have a problem finding the horn button quickly"

Me too! That horn button should be on top of the cluster......not underneath it.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

^I agree that the horn button placement can be a little hard to find. I typically start each ride running through the hand controls and spending a little bit of time re-acquainting myself with their placement as it seems to provide a little bit of muscle memory function. When these cars pulled out in front of me I was on the horn within a fraction of a second without any fumbling around for the switch, so maybe it works...?
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

riceburner wrote: Always best to ride defensively and assume the worst, it's your life, not theirs that is at stake, so take responsibility for yourself.
:)
Yes, that 's where it all starts. Don't ever assume that they see you.
On the road with a motorbike since 1974, has taught me that and saved me many times. That's the active security.
But working on your visibility from all sides is a passive security measure.
Oh, and years ago I replaced the standard bleeper with 2 Fiamm horns from a K1100LT.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
PeterNuss
Basic User

Post by PeterNuss »

"I recommend it...you just can't get the same volume out of an electric horn"

So, you have a driver doing some idiotic thing and you want to further distract them by blasting a super loud horn that will startle them. Who knows what they will do in those seconds of panic before you reach them. Do I have this right? How does this make the roadway safer? Or even make it safer for you? Most people can barely drive safely now, and you think they'll drive better when panicked? This is the type of logic that defies reasoning.

I have a friend that was driving with his Dad when he was six years old in CA. A motorcyclist was splitting lanes and the guy passed their car and the car in front of theirs swerved a little to alarm the motorcyclist. The motorcyclist swerved, went down, and slid along the road. Then, he hit a guard rail post and his head flew off in one direction and his body in another. The driver kept going. I guess he was just having a little fun with the motorcyclist. Reminds me of what you are doing.

50 years of riding and more than a few close calls and I've never used a horn or seen a need to use one. I own four motorcycles and I could not tell you where the horn button is on any of them. I can not fathom how a horn can save you several times.

Oh well, everyone be safe out there.
Mrclubike

Post by Mrclubike »

Well if the horn cant save my life at least I can Honk at the Idiot that sits at the stop light after it turns green because he is texting ](*,)
82 R65
04 R1150R
Mrclubike

Post by Mrclubike »

Back to the original question

The R1150R is wired the same as an RT
It has a horn relay in the circuit with a 7.5 amp fuse and Dual Fiamm Horns
So I would say any thing that draws less than 7.5 amps would be Ok to use with out the addition of a relay
But you may have to splice on a different connector at the horn terminals
82 R65
04 R1150R
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

PeterNuss said
I can not fathom how a horn can save you several times.
I don't know where you ride, and you don't know where I ride. I use the horn to protect myself from threats I can see developing in the immediate future. In my experience a loud horn helps alert people to my presence when it's obvious they do not see me because they're distracted, all too often talking and texting on the phone while driving, or adjusting the radio, or punching in navigation information, or trying to light a cigarette, or putting on make-up in the rear-view mirror, or reaching over the back seat to pick up something their kid just dropped back there...
So I ride in areas where there are lots of distracted drivers. One day while waiting in a parking lot I counted the number of people who were not paying attention while they were driving home from work on a busy city street. Out of 100 cars that passed in a few minutes, 67 of them were doing something I mentioned above. This is unacceptable driving behavior, and if because of their inattentiveness they run into me on a bike, there is a very good chance that I will die. I think that gives me the right to protect myself with a loud horn. I don't intentionally use it for no good reason (like when somebody won't go when the light turns green), but if I am threatened by their lack of attention to the road, I am going to let them to know where I am and that they are about to kill me if they don't immediately start paying attention to their driving.

Maybe where you ride you don't have this problem, but I do. And a loud horn gets their attention because they intuitively think that something big, something that could hurt them, is coming that they need to watch out for, which is exactly what I want them to do when I have to use my horn.

YMMV, but I feel that not having a horn that gets peoples attention defies the logic of having a horn at all.
Last edited by Sunbeemer on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich
ADIOS!
EasyBee
Basic User

Post by EasyBee »

Great video on the subject : always ride your motorcycle as though it has a cloaking device fitted and it is switched on (said at 4:23)
https://youtu.be/d5BhgqwTJBg
Photoguy
Basic User

Post by Photoguy »

Thx for the input PN. Like you I've been riding for 50 years and as I mentioned can't recall ever having used the horn on any of my bikes, other than the times that I've checked it to make sure that it works. This past time though was a little different for me and the very reason I made a post about it.

The 2nd of the two cars that found themselves in front of me is a little clearer than the first one in my memory. They were exiting a parking lot on my right at a relatively slow speed and making a left turn. I could see that their focus was looking in the opposite direction of me as they crept forward to cut across my lane. That was the time that I was on the brake and horn simultaneously as I *knew* that they didn't see me- I was completely invisible to them. In their mind, my lane was clear. I get it, their focus was elsewhere....we've probably all done it.

That's the whole point of the horn I think...If they had heard the horn I'm pretty well convinced that they would simply have turned to look in my direction and stopped without panic. But, they didn't hear me and their eyes stayed focused elsewhere.

It wasn't a huge deal, I was riding slow enough that I was able to stop when they were right in front of me. And also as I'd said, had I been going faster it probably would have been a very different situation. I'm not suggesting that a horn is the end all and be all of safety, but it sure wouldn't have hurt if it had been a little louder for them to actually hear it.
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

I've had this same thing happen to me twice. My horn made them stop and look (in that order) giving me enough leeway to get around their bows. The first time it happened, I over-braked, locked up my rear wheel and managed to skid sideways past him upright, thankfully! I'm pretty sure that if he hadn't been shocked into stopping immediately by the loudness of the horn, I'd have t-boned him.
Rich
ADIOS!