A Few Loose Ends

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hoof
Basic User

A Few Loose Ends

Post by Hoof »

As I find my way around this new (to me) bike I found (rather obviously) 2 wires coiled in the tool roll space under the back seat. The ends are insulated but I wonder what they can be there for - perhaps an optional under seat courtesy light!

More inexplicable is the small socket plug I found (attached to the frame on the RH side of the Bike just below the back part of the fuse box) - Green/ blue and Green/white wires attached....

Perhaps it's going too far & I should forget all about these small mysteries...after all I only drank half the Shackleton Whisky trying to sort out the dipped headlight fuse...time to relax with the other half........but if somebody knows?
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: A Few Loose Ends

Post by sweatmark »

Hoof wrote:As I find my way around this new (to me) bike I found (rather obviously) 2 wires coiled in the tool roll space under the back seat. The ends are insulated but I wonder what they can be there for - perhaps an optional under seat courtesy light!

More inexplicable is the small socket plug I found (attached to the frame on the RH side of the Bike just below the back part of the fuse box) - Green/ blue and Green/white wires attached....
1. Guessing the wires discovered at rear of bike are connected to tail light circuit, for use as ignition-on trigger, formerly connected to relay or aftermarket device.

2. The unattached connector (RHS, GR/BL + GR/WS) is for charcoal canister to fuel tank valve. Many riders remove the canister. I did same 2 days ago for my latest R boxer. Search here and elsewhere for R1150** canister removal to get info.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Just a fwiw, but BMW sells (or used to) an accessory socket plug that comes with a universal mount bracket. Has a nice built in spring loaded cover, and looks like a factory addition. Maybe that's what's on the right side? I've added them to other brand bikes for the purpose of being able to keep connected to a quick charger without having to go directly to the battery.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

My firt Rock was a Uk model and came with a Corbin heated twin-seat. Power for it came from the rear cubby.

¿ Could be that the connector on yours ?

I speedily sold it on the Bay and got used OEM seats instead, because here in Spain, our arses never get cold.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
Hoof
Basic User

Post by Hoof »

Thanks folks - now I see....the wires at the back are indeed connected to the rear light - I'll keep them there they may be useful for something.....AND the plug/socket is there for the entirely superfluous carbon canister which is far as I can see was installed for nuisance value in some countries West of Greenwich.