Brake Pad Replacement Question

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

RadicalR1150R
Lifer
Donating Member #: 960

Brake Pad Replacement Question

Post by RadicalR1150R »

When replacing brake pads, I only need to draw off fluid from reservoir when pushing pistons back?, because when I flush & bled the iABS, & had to remove calipers, it required the funnel to be on the ABS module & fluid went up into funnel. So with the cap on the module the fluid will be forced into the reservoir?
What's different?
BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Brake Pad Replacement Question

Post by BadToTheBown »

The answer to your question is, it depends. If you've never added fluid and swap to new pads, I've had no issue just removing the reservoir cover to allow the fluid to push back up into the reservoir, like you noticed with your ABS funnel. I have a 1999 ABS, so it may be different than yours. You'll need to pump them a bit before use, 2-3 pumps and everything should go solid quick. If I see any darkness to my fluid, I replace and re-bleed the system. I use the high temp DOT 5.1, which holds up well. If when I grab the lever with the new pads and it's sold right away, I skip the re-bleed if leaving the old fluid in. Best of luck...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer