They say this mini jumpbox will work for a motorcycle

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

They say this mini jumpbox will work for a motorcycle

Post by MThomas »

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Schwaben ... t_Charger/

I called asking if it would work and be safe to jump a motorcycle battery. I was told it would work on any 12V battery. Has anyone used this on their bike?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: They say this mini jumpbox will work for a motorcycle

Post by sjbmw »

What are the milliamps specs?
Several years ago I bought a 16000Ma jump starter/charger kit at batterymart.com for 90 bucks.
Came with all DC charger plug sizes, and every Apple adapter available.

Been using it for autos and bikes for several years now, and also use it for a camping charging station for all USB devices. I could charge a half a dozen dead cell phones in a few hours. To Jump the R1150R, just take the plate off where the accessory plug is, put the red on the starter bolt, and the black on the frame, and start 'er up.

I saw the exact same unit at a gun show, rebranded.

BatteryMart.com does not seem to have it any more, Amazon does though.
30 bucks less than years ago. I think I will get this as a Xmas gift for my son's bike.
It's always in my side case for all rides.

https://www.amazon.com/AGA-16000mAh-Eme ... VPPKP7XMD6
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

6,000 milliamps ... ?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
sjbmw

Post by sjbmw »

6k, for 130 bucks, no for me.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

sjbmw wrote:6k, for 130 bucks, no for me.
would 6k milliamps:
a) be harmful to the/a motorcycle battery?
b) be sufficient to start a car? (as advertised)
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
sjbmw

Post by sjbmw »

1. No
2. No idea
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

ok thanks, I'll try to find something cheaper and if not I may bite the bullet and pay the 130 since I like the portability of it
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
motorcycle_monkey
Basic User

Post by motorcycle_monkey »

A buddy of mine had his battery on his R1100R die at the Black Canyon, their Park Rangers brought a similar unit. Worked beautifully. They said they don't charge it very often and jump a lot of cars. Don't recall the brand, but was pretty pricey. Saw a similar unit in Costco for ~$50 last week.
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

How often does your battery let you down? In other words, how often are you going to use it?
If your battery let's you down more than once. You have a problem, Fix it.
And if your battery let's you down. Do you have the device with you? Or is it that day you forgot to bring it with you? And if you have it with you. Is it fully charged? That's a lot of money for the one time you have a problem and this device will fix that problem. Nobody around to give a push, if you forgot to turn off all devices using energy from your battery? Nobody with a car and starter cables?
In more than 35 years of riding motorbikes, only twice my bike didn't start. First time, it wasn't the battery. The starter on my Kawasaki Z1100 was worn down. It had to be repaired. This device wouldn't have helped. The second time my bike wouldn't start, was on a roadtrip, about a 100 miles from home. The dynamo of my Goldwing GL1200 was gone. It wouldn't charge the battery. After fully charging the battery at a filling station =D> , I rode home on the charged battery. The battery was empty again when I got home. This device cannot charge your battery. So think twice about spending your dollars on this gimmick.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
sjbmw

Post by sjbmw »

Correct. This is why I bought one that has multiple uses, i.e. cell phone charging, etc.
But, if I let my bike sit for 3 months without a charger on it, the clock will drain the battery.

It also came handy once when a friend had a battery issues while on an extended trip.
Being able to jump a bike in a minute or 2 to get a friend to a parts store was worth it.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

EasyBee wrote:How often does your battery let you down? In other words, how often are you going to use it?
If your battery let's you down more than once. You have a problem, Fix it.
And if your battery let's you down. Do you have the device with you? Or is it that day you forgot to bring it with you? And if you have it with you. Is it fully charged? That's a lot of money for the one time you have a problem and this device will fix that problem. Nobody around to give a push, if you forgot to turn off all devices using energy from your battery? Nobody with a car and starter cables?
In more than 35 years of riding motorbikes, only twice my bike didn't start. First time, it wasn't the battery. The starter on my Kawasaki Z1100 was worn down. It had to be repaired. This device wouldn't have helped. The second time my bike wouldn't start, was on a roadtrip, about a 100 miles from home. The dynamo of my Goldwing GL1200 was gone. It wouldn't charge the battery. After fully charging the battery at a filling station =D> , I rode home on the charged battery. The battery was empty again when I got home. This device cannot charge your battery. So think twice about spending your dollars on this gimmick.
If I were buying it only for the bike I wouldn't.
I would find a way to get in rolling, put it in 2nd gear, and let the clutch out.
However, to have it around for the cars and other charging needs and then just plop it in the backpack whenever I ride would be an added benefit.
The charger has 4 levels of charge. Between 3 and 4 will jump a car, I would imagine 2-3 would be sufficient to jump a bike.
Once it drains down to level 3, I can recharge it back up to 4 without loss of potency.
Maybe I'll just keep my eyes peeled for something less expensive to appear
2004 R1150r Non-ABS