Buying a R1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bigsime
Basic User

Buying a R1150R

Post by Bigsime »

Hi All. I'm looking around to buy a second hand R1150R I was just wondering what I should look out for and what questions I should ask. I'v got other bikes but they are old British classics so I thought I would ask you guys as you seem to know what your talking about ;) thanks Simon
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: Buying a R1150R

Post by sjbmw »

Welcome!

I will let the hard core wrenches here give you better visual inspection info.

I do know:
Most BMW owners are sticklers about service history. Self mechanics usually have a folder of receipts. Those who don't wrench, are well known along with their bike, at a local dealer. Ask about who and where the service was done.

Since most BMW's are owned by an older crowd, they assumed status of prized possessions, and are rarely beaten up.
Google the recall history on any year R1150R you consider before arriving before inspection. Ask the owner about it.
There was an early recall on fuel quick disconnects on 2004 models.

You did not state your geo, so this applies to the USA:

Google for a local BMW club, and attend a meeting, and introduce yourself. BMW riders eat! Club meetings are often in restaurants.
There is a great chance that if you are looking at a BMW bike, BMW club members know about it.
You could also find great deals on bikes for sale that are not advertised.
I know of great BMW bikes that have been sold many times, and were never advertised.
They just flow through ownership of club members. Telling a BMW club what you are looking for is a great way to find a great bike, before it's ever posted for sale.

Lastly, farkels. After market shocks (Wilbers, Ohlins, and HyperPro are the usual suspects), riding lights, after market seats, BMW side cases, or rear top case, GPS, exhausts, aftermarket windshields are all additions that add value to a bike. The R1150R was sold naked, with an average stock seat that certain butt types can tolerate (not mine!) and OEM shocks that might need a look at if still on the bike.
The nakedness of the bike made us owners farkel crazy. Like a painter staring at an empty canvas.

Anything found in the 2002-2005 years that has less than 10k miles is still a baby, and if well serviced, will be a fine 100k or more bike with proper service.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Bigsime wrote:Hi All. I'm looking around to buy a second hand R1150R I was just wondering what I should look out for and what questions I should ask. I'v got other bikes but they are old British classics so I thought I would ask you guys as you seem to know what your talking about ;) thanks Simon
much to be found searching this site, but ill give you a rundown, based on my experience.

do not be fooled by low miles. Sitting bikes can develop issues just as fast. brakes(particularly if ABS equipped-removed mine) and clutch system can be nasty.

as far as a guide for inspection... I'm not sure I would ever advise against buying one of these. honestly. UNLESS it has been completely thrashed. check for signs of abuse. major vibration upon test ride etc.

now, if you HATE working on things. Then youll want to inspect closer. these bikes do require decent maintenance, and also have their own issues. We all have our own "go/no-go" thresholds. I enjoy working on the bike. 8)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
racurley
Donating Member #: 1147

Post by racurley »

Aside from the things you generally inspect on any bike, I would say the Quick Disconnects are suspect. They should be metal vs. plastic. They hide behind a small plastic cover just above the right throttle body. Brake fluid needs more frequent changing so look at it. Steel braided brake lines are preferable.

Early issues with mine...
* Brakes were sticky - purged old brake fluid. Ended up dismantling the front calipers to clean them completely. Not hard and really fixed the brakes.
* The Final Drive had an issue with leaking gear oil on the rear wheel and tire. I replaced the seal and crown gear ring bearing. Moderate difficulty. Check the FD for leaks and any side to side play in the rear wheel.

Other things to inquire about but that are hard to inspect...
* fuel pump and hoses inside the tank sometimes develop leaks. Maybe ask about them being changed or the filter being changed.
* Hall sensor - these sometimes fail. I don't think much to inspect.
* Alternator belt changed on maintenance schedule
* Slave piston for the clutch sometimes develops a leak that can cause a number of problems. A little hard to get to. Maybe ask if there has been any issue or if it's been replaced.
* wires just at the steering stock are sometimes zip-tied there which puts stress on the wiring harness resulting in some possible electrical problems. Most bikes have this zip tie cut by now.

Mine is an 03, non-ABS and single spark. I don't have a surging issue at slow speeds as reported by some but it is a little twitchy at slower speeds. Bike is very easy for valve adjustment and throttle body adjustment.
2003 R1150R
1999 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic (sold)
1991 Honda Nighthawk CB250 !!
Bigsime
Basic User

Post by Bigsime »

Thanks to you guys your advice was a great help. I I think i'v found the right bike it's a 2002 none ABS model 27000miles it looks like new and it comes with all the service history and 3 months warranty i hope it goes as good as it looks. By the way I'm in the UK. Thanks Simon
Bigsime
Basic User

Post by Bigsime »

Hi thanks for your advice. I think i'v found 2 bikes both are 2002 with around 25000miles on the clock, one has all the extras ABS, heated grips and panniers and the other is a pretty basic model with no ABS. i'v read a lot about the ABS failing and costing a fortune to put right. How much of a problem is this and am I better off going for the basic model. By the way I'm in the UK
Thanks Simon