FAQ's ?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Tundra Dweller
Basic User

FAQ's ?

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Greetings!
I have recently aquired a 2002 R1150R with 6500 miles for my better half. She's coming off a cruiser so it's a big improvement.
I was looking for a FAQ section as I am new to Boxers but experienced in Motorcycle mechanics.
Did I miss it?

1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: FAQ's ?

Post by sjbmw »

Click Board Index in the upper left to get to the root forum list.

viewforum.php?f=18

And Welcome, nice bike!
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Thanks! Found the FAQ's and this fantastic link.

http://home.mindspring.com/~jabrooks/
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

6500 miles!!!? wow. but...that means it has sat a bit, and there's some maintenance to do. Sitting isnt that great for there...

Look around here....PLENTY of info.

but to get you started... do these two immediately.

-brake fluid(especially if ABS equipped)
-clutch hydraulic fluid

both particularly not good to leave in too long.

if youre not too worried about wrenching, these are darn near perfect bikes.

ENJOY!
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Congratulations and welcome! Looks just like my bike! Great color! :D

In addition to what's Peels mentioned, you should check the wire looms behind the headlight to be sure that over-tightened zip-ties have been replaced as these have been known to cut and chafe the wiring to the handlebars creating unpredictable electrical problems. Those too-tight cable ties should be cut and replaced with looser ones that allow the wire looms to move freely and not be pinched when turning the bars from lock to lock. There have been several posts about this that you can find in the archives (search "zip-ties").

With so few miles on the bike the engine is not broken in yet (mine took 18000 miles to stop using oil) so don't baby it! Flog it once in a while to seat the rings...it's fun!

Last thing I can think of is after you put a few more miles on it, the left cylinder's cam chain tensioner may rattle at start-up for a few seconds while oil pressure builds up in it. It's a scary sound to hear coming from an engine, but is not really harmful. The tensioner can be esily replaced with an upgrade that prevents this, and the procedure (with part numbers) can be found in the archives (search "tensioner"). Use the latest entry as there were actually two different upgrades, and the later one is the best.

If you need more info feel free to post questions as everybody here is willing and able to help.
Rich
ADIOS!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Tundra Dweller wrote:Greetings!
I have recently aquired a 2002 R1150R with 6500 miles for my better half. She's coming off a cruiser so it's a big improvement.
I was looking for a FAQ section as I am new to Boxers but experienced in Motorcycle mechanics.
Did I miss it?
Welcome to the family. 6500 miles for 14-15 year old bike is a good find, and you can likely freshen up any aged parts without much difficulty.

In addition to the FAQ cited above, you can take advantage of the similarities between R1150R and R1150GS (and other R1150** models)... The R and GS share many identical parts, including the majority of the drivetrain and most of the electrical system. FAQ info and how-toe can be found at Adventure Rider (http://advrider.com/index.php), the BMW MOA board (http://forums.bmwmoa.org), UKGSer (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/) and more international sites.

I have happy memories of my 2002 R1150R, which provided 40k miles of faithful service and was traded in (at good residual value) on another BMW bike.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Thanks for the heads up and the warm welcome.
The previous owner was in the Military with multiple deployments.
Thankfully he had a full service 6000 mile service at the dealer.
They replaced all fluids, including the ABS brakes. Also checked the valve clearances and replaced the alternator belt for "chirping". I did change the oil though since it had been sitting for a couple years.
I may change the tires over the winter to PR 4's.
It has two windshields and the Givi ring tank bag system.
I now have 3 different tank bags to choose from between 3 Motorcycles.
It really needs foot peg lowering brackets and will add Hyper-lite brake LEDs to it.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Post by lcarlson »

If it hasn't already been done, replace the plastic quick connects in the fuel lines with metal ones. DAMHIK.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Second on the quick disconnects. Make sure you address. Welcome - great bike, love it!