Tank bag,;what are my options

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

percyfilth
Basic User

Tank bag,;what are my options

Post by percyfilth »

I have a 2012 R1200r and fancy a tank bag to resolve my daily commute carrying requirements (just me lunch and a few odds and sods)
Any recommendations?
My bike is a Classic so bag MUST have white stripe over centre. (for any Americans reading this, this is a joke)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Tank bag,;what are my options

Post by deilenberger »

I've used RKA bags - the 3 point mounting ones, and currently am using a SIDI bag that mounts to the gas filler area with an adaptor. Both work. I probably have some photos of each on the bike if you're curious, but since we can't upload photos here it's not too easy to get them to you. Send me an email address in a PM and I'll email a few.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

I've been using the BMW tank bag for a few years (about 100,000 miles) and like it. I bought it new for a greatly reduced price but if I had paid the full price I wouldn't be happy at all. The mounting system is first class as the overall construction. All the zippers still work fine and the stitching is perfect.
Down side: The bag conforms closely to the shape of the tank so their is an area around the edge where stuff can fall into and get 'lost'. The BIG fault is the plastic in the map window turned yellow in two years and in four had disintegrated, fortunately I found an aftermarket map pouch that I was able to neatly sew on the top of the bag. An $8 item the plastic still looks like new after many miles in the sun, BMW should be ashamed.

Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

mogu83 wrote:I've been using the BMW tank bag for a few years (about 100,000 miles) and like it. I bought it new for a greatly reduced price but if I had paid the full price I wouldn't be happy at all. The mounting system is first class as the overall construction. All the zippers still work fine and the stitching is perfect.
Down side: The bag conforms closely to the shape of the tank so their is an area around the edge where stuff can fall into and get 'lost'. The BIG fault is the plastic in the map window turned yellow in two years and in four had disintegrated, fortunately I found an aftermarket map pouch that I was able to neatly sew on the top of the bag. An $8 item the plastic still looks like new after many miles in the sun, BMW should be ashamed.

I keep coming back to this bag as well. I just purchased my third (new and reasonably priced, from Europe at $225). I had the yellowing start on my first one after about a year and a half. The second one stayed mostly clear for the 25k miles it was on the bike. This one will be getting regular Plexus treatment - hopefully that keeps the yellowing at bay. But for $225 (vs. $350ish from a dealer) it was the obvious choice.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)