Playing with UNI filters.

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

vwdoctor
Basic User

Playing with UNI filters.

Post by vwdoctor »

Since I am doing some experimentation that will require me to take the transmission out (again ) pretty soon (maybe more than once) I wanted to simplify the dis assembly. One obvious PITA is the air box which is in the way of everything. I took it off during the last transmission R&R and installed 15 degree UNI filters (2 1/4'' I believe). They have extra sleeve on them (red).
After installing them I was not really happy since they are touching the fuel lines and there is intake noise , sound pulses during intake, especially at low rpm high load (acceleration). Here is a picture.

So on to the phase two. If you remove the intake tubes from the air box you can see that they are actually made of two pieces that are locked into each other. Sorry no picture I was too fast. Using a drill to drill down the nipple you can separate them.
Here is a piece that stays (not used).

Then you use the part of the intake and install the UNI filter (nice tight fit). The final product looks like this.

No more low end noise and even nicer sound during acceleration. Additionally air filters are more in the bike and therefore protected from the elements.
Total cost $38 (for the filters). No issues with the leaning. Bike runs great. As you can see I am also on the shorty pipe.
Open for comments.
04 Rockster (non ABS, single spark)
91 K75RT

I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
spoon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Playing with UNI filters.

Post by spoon »

Part number or the UNI?
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

I am not sure I understand the question
91 K75RT

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

Thanks for the info. I think I did read those at some point because the original idea is lifted from boxermania.
I believe that adding half of the intake runner is new since I didn't see it anywhere yet. The original setup was too noisy. I am not sure if it got quieter because of the math of the intake runners (which I know nothing about) or that intake is simply "in the bike" now so the sound is not audible as much. I am keeping everything reversible just in case I decide to go back to original. Usually first order of business with most of the things I get is to get them to stock and reverse any silliness that PO might have done. But for some reason I am looking for an excuse to touch the bike. I am not really after any power gains but simply playing around and figuring out the most efficient way to remove the transmission when the time comes, which is hopefully in a couple of weeks when all the parts are ready.
91 K75RT

spoon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by spoon »

So I gather nothing falls out or no other negative things happen because the air box is not in there? Did you have to find another attachment point for any wires or tubing?
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

The fuel lines are attached to the injectors, and they are stiff plastic so they just stay ( in the air). Air temperature sensor is attached to the frame and diag. plug is also attached to the frame. Crankcase breather is routed to the side of the bike and breather filter (oil separator) is installed. Wiring is zip tied to the frame anyway so they stay. The filters are rotated so they touch the transmission so they are "foam mounted", as soft as it gets. Ideally I would like to figure out a way to attach the intake runners to the transmission for long term but for now I see no issues.
91 K75RT

sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

Hi again Esmir,
Here's where I found more details of your installation of K&N Uni's on your Rockster - the R1150 forum, not ADVrider or UKGser. A couple of questions, if I may :-
I wonder what a 'breather filter / oil separator' is that you fitted to the end of the crankcase breather hose that's normally attached to the bottom right-hand front edge of the OEM airbox ?
And have you any idea or can you remember any part number details so that I can source a couple of K&N UNI units in the E.U ?
Please don't forget me when you arrange supply of another batch of your Spacer Kits, or just the Spacers. For the clutch hub. I really would like two, as I said on the other forum
Kind regards,
ALAN - [email protected]
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
hardyt
Basic User

Post by hardyt »

With these filters installed, how does the transmission removal process change? Can you avoid lifting the rear sub-frame? I'm also curious about the part numbers of the filters and other miscellaneous parts like the breather hose "oil-water separator".
Thanks!
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

THE AIRBOX PLAYS AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN CRANKCASE VENALATION AND LOW TO MID RANGE TORQUE..
removing it changes many things.

good luck with that.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

hardyt wrote:With these filters installed, how does the transmission removal process change? Can you avoid lifting the rear sub-frame? I'm also curious about the part numbers of the filters and other miscellaneous parts like the breather hose "oil-water separator".
Thanks!

You still have to lift the subframe, but there is much more room to work and airbox is typically the most difficult part to remove and replace during the procedure. I also like to be able to see more of the bike.
I use oil separator on the breather line to catch the oil droplets while the engine is running. It looks something like this (not my picture). It is routed to the front right and it sits right next to the right side oil cooler.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/images/ ... her_41.jpg

When the engine stops oil that is coating the breather hose should just leak back down. I didn't have issues regarding midrange torque that I noticed.(I guess I am lucky :D ).
91 K75RT

peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

thought real hard about doing that as i was wrestling my airbox back in monday night. lol But decided to leave it.

Iv'e done stuff like that to atv's many times, so much is said about HP. but, unless youre flat out racing, its really more about how and where it is delivered. and I'd be willing to bet it has a quicker initial response to throttle input. But not much power change at the top.. and the simplicity of repair would be a win. Also, bet it sounds more grumbly.

nice work.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

I had transmission in and out about 6 times in the past 2 years, so to me it was worth it.
Rockster lends itself to "hooligan" stuff like that. Doing it to an RT would be a little too much maybe.
91 K75RT